Epic Departure in Many Ways

old nutter

We were on the last Epic cruise of the winter season to the Canaries in mid-March and one passenger saw the ship leaving the quayside in Funchal without her. The Captain had already waited and kept a lookout for runners and had sounded the horn to alert everyone on the island that the ship was about to leave. This is a sequence of pictures was taken from the starboard side after we had just left and had begun to set sail for Malaga in two days time.

They are probably a good set of images for a caption competition. The Pilot's team was obviously willing to help in this case and she was collected from the empty dock and taken to the Epic as the team went out to collect the pilot from from the departing ship! The Epic lifeboats hid our view of the exchange, presumably up the rope ladder, but she obviously got on board the Epic to a wave from the Pilot.

P1040383_zpsxhxs6znw.jpg

OOPs

P1040384_zps0dyo4qhi.jpg

I am sure I got back on time

P1040386_zpst3ldipgh.jpg

Could be a bit bumpy

P1040388_zps0wi6ux54.jpg

Hold on tight

P1040389_zpsgc0ya5uq.jpg

Great pics Old Nutter!! We were on this cruise and watched as the woman strolled out of the tunnel, without a care in the world. Then she realized that it was almost an hour after "all aboard" and started running. We were also curious how much this may have cost her. I understand the tugboat, Faithful, does this free of charge in Bermuda.