Crown Princess 06/18 - 06/25 Alaska Trip

GadgetRick

• 2 weeks later...
So still trying to figure out the best way to spend our time in Ketchikan. I know some people seemed to have liked the seaplane to Misty Fjord and others say it's just ok. So not sure we'll be doing that.

Has anyone gone to the top of Married Man Trail and taken the gondola back down? That sounds interesting. Thinking about doing that then maybe doing the George Inlet Lodge/Lumberjack show. Any thoughts on this?

Any other suggestions?

We're doing the train/bus in Juneau through Chilkoot Charters.

Not much time in Victoria so not worried about anything crazy there.

So Ketchikan is all that's left.

Thanks.

When we were in Ketchikan last year we did the Bearing Sea Crab Boat tour and it was great. The boat is one that used to be on the Discovery Show Deadliest Catch. They show you how they fish for the crabs, show you all the different types of fishing they do in Alaska, let you touch and hold the crabs they catch on your tour and then there are the Bald Eagles. They feed the Eagles and you get tons of Bald Eagles flying around the boat and diving for the fish they throw. Fabulous picture taking opportunities for sure. The best excursion of our trip last year.

I was just on the Bearing sea crab boat also know as the Dangerous catch tour. It was outstanding[emoji7]. Great for kids and old people like me. Best tour I have seen in 2 trips to Alaska. I booked it through trip advisor and it was more reasonable than princess. This is. Must see excursion!

Diana

Las Vegas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lots of great hiking if you are active in that sense. I went to upper dewey lake last time I was there, really a nice spot, but pretty intense. Some other hikes here

http://skagway.com/skagwaytrailmap.pdf

Best part, they are all free and many of the trailheads are a short walk from the pier.

In Juneau, you can hike up to the Mt Roberts tram station, buy something in the gift shop, and get a free ride back down which sure beats whatever they are charging these days. Its about 2 miles, uphill, but not that bad.

When we were in Ketchikan last year we did the Bearing Sea Crab Boat tour and it was great. The boat is one that used to be on the Discovery Show Deadliest Catch. They show you how they fish for the crabs, show you all the different types of fishing they do in Alaska, let you touch and hold the crabs they catch on your tour and then there are the Bald Eagles. They feed the Eagles and you get tons of Bald Eagles flying around the boat and diving for the fish they throw. Fabulous picture taking opportunities for sure. The best excursion of our trip last year.

I agree! I did this trip just last week and it is great!

I've heard some cruise lines offer an app you can pay a small fee to gain access to things like Facebook and can keep in touch with others on the ship. Does Princess offer that or just the expensive Internet plans?

I've heard some cruise lines offer an app you can pay a small fee to gain access to things like Facebook and can keep in touch with others on the ship. Does Princess offer that or just the expensive Internet plans?

Princess has an app to keep in touch with others on this ship. That service is free. Facebook would require an Internet charge.

I have a question about dinner (1st time cruiser).. We have included "anytime dining" in our package which seems pretty self explanatory.. Except when it comes to Sabatini's and Crown Grill..

Do we never get to eat here without paying? Do we pay a set amount and then order anything??

Thank you in advance

I have a question about dinner (1st time cruiser).. We have included "anytime dining" in our package which seems pretty self explanatory.. Except when it comes to Sabatini's and Crown Grill..

Do we never get to eat here without paying? Do we pay a set amount and then order anything??

Your ship will have one or more "Main Dining Rooms" (MDR), most likely three. One of these is likely used for "Traditional Dining" (TD) early (5:30ish) and late (8:00ish). One of these is likely used for TD earlyish, and then becomes open for Anytime Dining (AD). One of these is likely used for AD all night long. This is included in your fare, as are the other casual-service options: Horizon Court (buffet style), International Cafe (sandwiches in a glass case, desserts, etc.), and likely a pizza bar, ice cream bar, burger/hot dog bar. There might also be an Alfredo's Pizza. All of these are included in your fare, no additional charge.

Specialty restaurants (Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse, Bayou Cafe, Sabatini's, SHARE, Crab Shack, perhaps others) are additional cost dining options. These are all priced per person - think of it like "a ticket for admission". Once inside (admitted), you're able to order freely off the menu - no specific charge for any item or combination. They are never "free admission", though in some cases you'll have a voucher as part of your booking promotion and/or cabin category.

Booze and sodas are additional charge.

So, just over 2 weeks away. Very excited. Hard not to be in vacation mode. :)

Anyway, would anyone like to volunteer their balcony for me to place my timelapse camera for when we cruise through Glacier Bay? I'll send you a copy of the video and more than happy to buy a drink (or two) for you. :)

Thanks.

[quote name='GadgetRick']So, just over 2 weeks away. Very excited. Hard not to be in vacation mode. :)

Anyway, would anyone like to volunteer their balcony for me to place my timelapse camera for when we cruise through Glacier Bay? I'll send you a copy of the video and more than happy to buy a drink (or two) for you. :)
[/quote]
Big businesses have these departments called "marketing". Aside from listening to lots of Maroon 5 and Cold Play, they research these "metrics" about how to make sure their message gets in front of the right people. Sometimes they use print ads in magazines, so they subscribe to everything out there and gather the subscriber data to find the right one. Sometimes they use TV ads, so they look at the Nielsen ratings to figure out which channel/show has the best sampling of "their people" in front of the screen. The happiness goes on and on...

You can do your own marketing too, by choosing what forum to post in. This particular post probably belongs in the Roll Call for your sailing, because you'll be speaking to your most ideal target market: 100% of the people in that thread are (presumably) booked on the same cruise as you. Meanwhile, in this thread, it's full of people with too much time on their hands and who are NOT going on your same cruise...

[quote name='peety3']Big businesses have these departments called "marketing". Aside from listening to lots of Maroon 5 and Cold Play, they research these "metrics" about how to make sure their message gets in front of the right people. Sometimes they use print ads in magazines, so they subscribe to everything out there and gather the subscriber data to find the right one. Sometimes they use TV ads, so they look at the Nielsen ratings to figure out which channel/show has the best sampling of "their people" in front of the screen. The happiness goes on and on...

You can do your own marketing too, by choosing what forum to post in. This particular post probably belongs in the Roll Call for your sailing, because you'll be speaking to your most ideal target market: 100% of the people in that thread are (presumably) booked on the same cruise as you. Meanwhile, in this thread, it's full of people with too much time on their hands and who are NOT going on your same cruise...[/QUOTE]

Huh? This is the thread for this particular cruise. Already discussed this with others earlier in this thread.

Have no idea what your discussion about marketing has to do with this.

[quote name='GadgetRick']Huh? This is the thread for this particular cruise. Already discussed this with others earlier in this thread.
[/quote]
No, it's not "the thread for this particular cruise". It's a thread that you started to ask some questions about your trip among a general discussion area regarding Princess Cruises. It's not the roll call. Go here [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/[/URL], scroll down to either "Find your Roll Call" or "Princess Roll Calls", and navigate from there.

People in this particular area are either seasoned Princess cruisers or people new to Princess with newbie questions. Threads for particular cruises belong in the Roll Call.

[quote name='peety3']No, it's not "the thread for this particular cruise". It's a thread that you started to ask some questions about your trip among a general discussion area regarding Princess Cruises. It's not the roll call. Go here [URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/[/URL], scroll down to either "Find your Roll Call" or "Princess Roll Calls", and navigate from there.

People in this particular area are either seasoned Princess cruisers or people new to Princess with newbie questions. Threads for particular cruises belong in the Roll Call.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused then. I apologize. However, people have been discussing this in this thread, which is why I got confused. I'll have to post it over there.