Helping mom pick an XMAS cruise, NEED INPUT...

MamaParrotHead

mom and her fiancee are just now deciding they might like to cruise this Xmas season, leaving Xmas day. I'm not real familiar with the ships that are sailing (they're looking at a 7 day cruise)...can anyone help me assist her in picking the right one?

her options are:

the Conquest/Galveston, TX; Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Galveston, TX

the Pride/Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico; Mazatlan, Mexico; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA

the Victory/Miami, FL; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Maarten, NA; St. Thomas, USVI; Miami, FL

the Valor/Miami, FL; Belize; Roatan Island, Honduras; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Cozumel, Mexico; Miami, FL

the Miracle/Tampa, FL; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize; Cozumel, Mexico; Tampa, FL

I've been on the Valor (LOVED it) but not western itinerary. She's concerned about the size/condition of the other ships and if there's as much to do on them as I told her there was to do on the Valor. They're in their late 50's. Any info on excursions that might interest them would also be greatly appreciated (nothing real physically strenuous, though, please). Also, I know the ports on the Western Valor are mostly tendered ports, but didn't know about the ports on the other routes. Thanks, guys!:)

The Conquest and Valor are both Conquest class ships - the largest class. As you've been on the Valor, you can figure that the Conquest will be very similar - just different decor but same layout. The Victory is the oldest of the group you're listing - it is a Destiny class. The Pride and Miracle are both Spirit class which some say is the best - nice size and well layed out. The Miracle is the newest of the ships you're considering.

I would probably not consider the Pride as the weather in December may not be all that warm in LA - certainly not bathing suit on deck temps. Also the airfare would probably be cheaper to Florida. Also that Mexico route gets mixed reviews.

Are they more interested in the ship or the itinerary? I think Eastern is nice for first time cruisers. Great beaches and shopping.....

I've been checking on airfare since originally posting. The airfare is MOST expensive to FL for us (midwest) and cheapest to Tampa, LA and Houston/Galveston. Which narrows it down to the Miracle, Conquest or Pride. I don't know that mom would be very disappointed not to have to don a bathing suit, so a little bit of a chill in the air isn't a deterrant, I don't think.

I think they'd be most interested in nice tours, not heavy shoppers, nor do they snorkel or scuba.

Mom's a teacher, so her window of opportunity is really limited as far as when she can go (that's why it's got to be a departure date of 12/25 for her to be back in time for when school resumes).

We cruised on the Pride late October last year and had a blast. Loved the ship and the ports. It maybe be cooler in LA in Dec (although some years the kids have worn shorts on Christmas) but it will be high 70s to low 80s in the Mexican ports. I work at a year round school so I always try to take advantage of our October break.

There are 6 of us going on the Spirit on a 8 day cruise from San Diego to Acapulco, leaving Sunday December 18 and returning Monday December 26. 2 of us, my wife and daughter, are also teachers, and you are right about the window of opportunity for teachers. Acapulco should be in the mid 80s at Christmas. There are some more more teachers on this cruise I know. Teachers are fun on cruises, the more the merrier.:)

My daughter and I are also teachers, and we are flying to San Juan on December 24th and boarding the Destiny for a 7-night cruise on the 25th. There will be 7 of us - DH and me, DS, DD and her brand new hubby (getting married on December 18th), SIL, and SIL's SO. We're sailing the southern Caribbean. Have you considered that option?

The Conquest is a great ship with a fabulous itinerary, staff and food. We cruised with 3 teachers on our last group cruise in Feb this year....there were 38 of us and everyone had a blast from age 16-81 !!! I am going to plan our next group cruise for Feb 2007 as we now have 2 more teachers/friends of ours that want to travel with our group, prices are a little higher when teachers (students) are off of work/school...but the company is worth it:)

I'd stay away from the Pride..

1) Because there are few cruises in that area, they go at a premium

2) It is cold! I used to live down there, heck, I thought both of my June/July Riviera cruises were cold, guess how cold it would be in winter?

3) Ports are not that great.

Last year, I could have driven down to catch the Pride for xmas, but even with airfare, the Victory was less. So, why bother?

Right now, you can get a room on the Conquest for $900, which I bet is less than the pride. Cozumel is a great place to be in December! A room on the Pride is $1249!!!!!!

Even if lived in Long Beach (hey, I lived there for two years, jogging distance to their port!), I still wouldn't take the Pride, because it is still cheaper to FLY out and catch a ship to the Carribean.

If you do the Pride, the first day will be brrrr.... COLD! When you get to Puerto Vallarta, nice... my favorite place is Cabo, but in December, the water will be brrr!

Check out the Conquest, it is the most affordable xams cruise (last year, we cruised the Vic for $550). Personally, I think the xmas cruises are too pricey and I got some 1a rooms with portholes on the Glory new years cruise for $740 reserved( just food for thought).

Archived