What Mermaids Know

Cruise-y

The classes accommodate 24 students so book early they fill up fast.

I have the handout and notes from the course prepared by Chef Kathryn Kelly. The class is very hand’s on and you get to eat everything you make. Don't plan a big dinner the afternoon or day you take the class. Each team of two has a cooking station with everything needed. Flavors, nutrients, ingredients are all described. The class varies by the chef instructor and the ports of call if specific ingredients are needed or local technique is unique. The recipes featured include: Pan-seared Lacquered salmon, Wasabi Mashed potatoes, Coconut pan-fried shrimp with chili garlic sauce, Shallow-poached fish with creamy butter sauce, Golden semolina-quinoa-spinach cakes, Deep poached salmon salad, court bouillon, Baked Chiliean sea bass in miso sauce, Baked Shrimp scampi, Brazilian scallops with coconut lime glaze and coconut rice, Aquavit-cured salmon, Tropical beach Ceviche.

The techniques covered in the class were: Pan-searing/sauteing, Pan Frying, Poaching both shallow and deep methods, Grilling, Curing, Baking fish.

The chef’s tips included: instant polenta, acid marinade, entertaining tips on advanced prep, buying fish.

We are fairly good cooks. Our son is a chef and a chef instructor in a public school vocational program. We have owned a restaurant with him and worked both front and back of the house, while we worked at our professional careers. We are retired now, thank God, and enjoy learning and cooking. We learned something new at every class or demonstration we have been fortunate to attend on board (12 so far). The learning is very differentiated so that beginner to experts can enjoy and learn new skills. Highly recommended for foodies.

We did one on our last cruise with our daughter. I have no professional training but have a cookbook library in the thousands.

I wouldn't do again. Not saying I didn't learn anything, I find I pick up little tips in every class I've ever done. But for me, I'd rather put my $$ elsewhere. And I can cook anything I want from my library!

We were on a 25 day cruise with many sea days. They did an interesting thing - a 3 day boot camp. It was $800 I think and good value if you wanted to cook all day. The participants did seem to enjoy themselves.

Mo

We did one on our last cruise with our daughter. I have no professional training but have a cookbook library in the thousands.

I wouldn't do again. Not saying I didn't learn anything, I find I pick up little tips in every class I've ever done. But for me, I'd rather put my $$ elsewhere. And I can cook anything I want from my library!

We were on a 25 day cruise with many sea days. They did an interesting thing - a 3 day boot camp. It was $800 I think and good value if you wanted to cook all day. The participants did seem to enjoy themselves.

Mo

We all have choices to make in life and you made yours. We found the onboard classes entertaining as well as informative. We have also attended cooking schools in Budapest, Saigon, Florence, Lyons, Maine, and the CIA in NY. I think the class on board is a value well spent for the time spent.

Edited by BillPizzaiolo

The classes accommodate 24 students so book early they fill up fast.

I have the handout and notes from the course prepared by Chef Kathryn Kelly. The class is very hand’s on and you get to eat everything you make. Don't plan a big dinner the afternoon or day you take the class. Each team of two has a cooking station with everything needed. Flavors, nutrients, ingredients are all described. The class varies by the chef instructor and the ports of call if specific ingredients are needed or local technique is unique. The recipes featured include: Pan-seared Lacquered salmon, Wasabi Mashed potatoes, Coconut pan-fried shrimp with chili garlic sauce, Shallow-poached fish with creamy butter sauce, Golden semolina-quinoa-spinach cakes, Deep poached salmon salad, court bouillon, Baked Chiliean sea bass in miso sauce, Baked Shrimp scampi, Brazilian scallops with coconut lime glaze and coconut rice, Aquavit-cured salmon, Tropical beach Ceviche.

The techniques covered in the class were: Pan-searing/sauteing, Pan Frying, Poaching both shallow and deep methods, Grilling, Curing, Baking fish.

The chef’s tips included: instant polenta, acid marinade, entertaining tips on advanced prep, buying fish.

We are fairly good cooks. Our son is a chef and a chef instructor in a public school vocational program. We have owned a restaurant with him and worked both front and back of the house, while we worked at our professional careers. We are retired now, thank God, and enjoy learning and cooking. We learned something new at every class or demonstration we have been fortunate to attend on board (12 so far). The learning is very differentiated so that beginner to experts can enjoy and learn new skills. Highly recommended for foodies.

Thank you Bill! This was very informative and helpful!