Any experience with somewhat hyper kids in kids club?

madiaka

I cruise in a couple of weeks and am somewhat worried about our 4 year old in the club. It seems that there is free play and scheduled activities. How do the counsellors manage children that seem to want to bounce from one activity to another mid stream? I can see him being so excited that he'll be all over the place trying to figure out what to do next.

Are they trained at providing suggestions, redirecting, etc as necessary?

Do they prevent older children from bullying younger ones or just go with the flow?

What are others experiences?

Well, they don't tolerate bullying or overtly inappropriate behavior. Yes, they are all trained (most with university degrees) in some field of child development, education, etc. Yes, they are good at redirecting. If a child persists in bullying or physical abuse of another child, he/she will be removed--parents called, discussed, "one more chance," etc. It is rare that a child is banned from programming, but it does happen.

THey don't make a deal out of the scheduled activities. If a kid wants to participate, fine. If not, there is free play.

Thanks. I don't like the large age range and am somewhat worried about the older kids. Sometimes they don't notice little ones in the same area - or intentionally take over, don't share, etc.

The counselors are excellent. They deal with a lot of kids every day, and each cruise means they need to adapt to a completely new group. Are they perfect? No. Does every single child have a great time? No. One the whole, however, the kids programs are a strength for Disney.

As far as energy level goes, from what I've seen, the staff brings a lot more energy than the kids do. I feel like the staff elevates its energy so that the kids fall into line and let the staff lead. Personally, the volume level drives me a bit nuts, but kids seem to respond to it. A large fraction of the kids are drawn into the group activities managed by one or two staff members, and that leaves fewer kids doing individual activities (computer games, coloring, art, watching a movie) for the other staff members.

Thanks. I don't like the large age range and am somewhat worried about the older kids. Sometimes they don't notice little ones in the same area - or intentionally take over, don't share, etc.

It is a huge space, and except during 'open house" hours it is divided into the Oceaneer's Club with small furniture and originally geared for ages 3-7 and the Lab, originally geared for 8-12. The scheduled activities have a "suggested age" and the kids basically adhere to that. There may be an occasional 10 year old who wants to do a 3-4 activity, but that's rare. And the staff only encourages those kids who are in the correct age range to do it (they don't have the Lab CMs send big kids over for little kid activities, nor do they point out the activity to kids of the wrong age).

SO, there is a lot less interaction between the big kids and the little ones than you might suspect. Yes, it CAN happen, but not a lot. The main time is caused by the same parents who resulted in the large age range--the ones who tell the 11 year old to "watch" the 5 year old in the programming. These are the same parents who were upset that their kids couldn't be in the same "group."