Carnival Legend Review - March 2016 South Pacific - Pics/Food

Tigerlily75

Before I go get some sleep before continuing, I'll just quickly explain some of the differences when sailing out of Australia on Carnival.

One is that the ship runs on Australian dollars - not all ships do (RCI for example still runs in US dollars) so it's worth mentioning.

Second is that there are no gratuities. Australia not being a tipping culture, Carnival decided to just make it an all-in-one fare, there is no separate gratuity charge that can be removed. (I was talking to my waiter about the differences in sailing here vs US, and they do get the same amount as if there were gratuities added, so they are not missing out. Many, especially seasoned cruisers, will often give a cash tip on the last night). I believe Princess is the same, but RCI and Celebrity do have the added gratuities.

Third is there are no alcoholic drink packages. Again not the same for all lines, most do have them here including other Carnival Corp lines, but for some reason they have decided against it for Carnival Oz.

And the last one (that I can think of) is the room service menu is completely different, and nothing on it is complimentary (it's actually quite expensive, and not worth using). I have no idea why!

Oh there is one more - there's Vegemite at breakfast :)

Anyone have a copy of the room service menu?? and prices?? I am wondering about hot breakfasts??

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 9 nights Sydney - New Caledonia cruise, I absolutely loved it & I'm ready to sail again

I'm a 1st timer cruiser (since my last cruised in 1985!).

Food was great, meet some new cruising buddies, balcony room was nice to have but not a deal-clincher for future cruises.

'Rodeo Drive' shopping experience wasn't that special, I can find cheaper men's aftershaves (etc) here in Australia (Chemist Warehouse etc).

In this digital age where everone has a camera on there phones etc, are they (overpriced) cruise photographers really essential? Oh, and are the themed nights really just for the photographers? (sarcasms aside! hehe)

As mentioned, i absolutely loved the cruise, wasn't too keen on the entertainment but it wasn't anything that detracted or would spoil the cruise for me.

Entertainment wise, the same band played in Red Frog Pub each night.

Also 2 'lounge' duo acts (singer/piano players) and 2 guitarist/singers that rotated from bar to bar each night.

I spent a lot of day time in (Adults only) Serenity Bar. The 'serenity' only broken by the constant (loud) cocktail blender going full tilt most of the time haha! But was a great area to hang out (also kid free!)

Serenity closed at 8pm which is a shame as is a better 'bar' than the Red Frog. Would prefer to drink under the stars.

Also I think Serenity is under 'entertained' compared to other areas of the Ship. The pools in the middle had DJ's most days, Serenity had some 'chilled' background music and a singer/guitarist playing during the sea days.

The same band played in Red Frog each night, they played a pretty 'safe' selection of covers, I didn't hang out there too long but did hear the same songs being played by all the live entertainers. I would have preferred the band to have themed nights (blues, disco, rock) rather than play a mish-mash of covers.

I passed thru 'Follies' theatre a few nights, didn't stay long (i hate musicals) but the shows felt like 'fancy dress karaoke', (over-)singing & dance moves over backing tracks (as there was no live band). Plenty of clothing changes, themed nights (a 'souless-ly sung' Motown show, "the Brits" "Epic Rock") and typical 'over-singing' associated with live musicals.

Shame they didn't use the band that played in Red Frog instead of backing tracks.

Anyway, I know you can't please everyone all the time (lol) but i did absolutely love it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I should add that i play in a band and have DJ'd before so can understand the need for a 'safe' playlist.

cheers

Edited by brettus1963