Carnival Legend Review - March 2016 South Pacific - Pics/Food

Tigerlily75

Thanks so much for reading all, I will put up some more in a few hours (after dinner and Fear the Walking Dead! I've said all along, why don't they get on a BOAT and go to an island, finally they do this. But what's the bet it won't turn out so well?!).

For those who are traveling on a cruise down this way, there is a great thread about the South Pacific ports of call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2267858

Thank you for your awesome review. Sydney Harbor is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. My late husband took our daughter and I there when she graduated from college. She was a scuba diver and wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef; he learned to scuba dive, just to be able to dive with her. We had an amazing 2 week stay. Such an amazing place to visit; wish I could go back. Thanks, Shirley

Shirley, I'm so sorry for your loss, he sounds like an amazing man, what a treasure to learn diving so he could share that with your daughter, and what lovely memories to have! xx

Thanks Tigerlily, enjoying review. I was on that Spirit cruise that was stuck out at sea last April. Carnival dealt with it so well, I was really impressed but had to laugh each morning when we woke up and everything was on the floor. The last few days were pretty rocky. My (now 15yo) son loves the kid's club. We don't see him the entire cruise except at meal time when I force him to eat with us, and on port days because thankfully he too likes to snorkel. He is still in contact with some kids off that cruise.

I wondered what it was like! I remember reading about a man stuck on board who had organized someone to feed his pets while he was away, and he couldn't get hold of them to let them know he wouldn't be home to feed them. I hope it turned out okay!

I'm pretty sure my daughter will go to kids club every time now, though she's 17 soon, so we'll have to squeeze in a lot of cruises before she turns 18. I do wish I had discovered cruising earlier ..

Dinner after Vanuatu, Carribean menu which was weird, because Carribean night was the night before. They did the same with Mexican night, the Mexican menu was the night after. Is this normal, or did they just not have their act together?

Carribean chicken soup

image.jpg23_2.jpg

Carribean jerked pork roast

image.jpg21_3.jpg

Tiramisu

image.jpg20_1.jpg

Next stop: Noumea, New Caledonia

image.jpg24_2.jpg

Noumea is the capital city of New Caledonia. It's a very small city, but a city nonetheless. Unfortunately, I didn't really take any photos. I just hopped off to wander, and my daughter stayed on the ship - supposedly to get a sleep in, but there was an evacuation drill alarm piped into the room, and people cleaning the balcony! It didn't seem to bother her though!

Noumea gets mixed reviews from cruise passengers, a lot wish the ships would do away with this port. I don't mind it, but it's not "beautiful" like the other spots. I enjoy the french-ness, the supermarket across from the terminal is great, and the park has free wifi. Refer to the link I posted above for ideas of things to do in Noumea.

I'm pretty sure the ships restock food and water here, and load and unload comedians and other guest entertainers.

It is quite expensive, I bought some deodorant and it was about US$7.50!

One photo I did get:

image.jpg15_4.jpg

:)

Some photos from sailaway

image.jpg12_3.jpg

image.jpg13_3.jpg

image.jpg14_3.jpg

Dinner after Noumea

A lady at the table next to us asked the waiter if the iced watermelon soup is served cold ... ..

image.jpg11_3.jpg

My usual market salad

image.jpg9_7.jpg

Mussels

image.jpg10_6.jpg

Pasta of some sort

image.jpg8_7.jpg

Roast beef

image.jpg7_7.jpg

Gee, some of these are really blurry, sorry. My daughter kept paying me out for taking pictures of the food, and I always tried to do it quickly!

Tonight was the talent show, followed by Carnival Quest. I've heard Quest is really good, but I chickened out. It was 18+, and it said "be sure to bring a bag of random stuff". I was worried I was going to be roped into participating in something highly awkward, rather than just watching! I kind of regret not going though, people said it was hilarious.

Tomorrow: my favourite (and final) port, Isle of Pines, New Caledonia, followed by three sea days home which I'll try to keep short, it does all get a bit same-same.

Isle of Pines

My favourite port. While shore tours are offered (and non-ship tours at the port) I haven't felt the need to do any. It's such a beautiful spot. Once off the tenders, there is a very nice beach, but cross the road and head up past the sacred rock, and its a paradise. Snorkeling around the rock is great, so many fish, and if you keep still, schools of fish will circle you, it's pretty amazing.

This is the beach closest to where you get off the tenders

image.jpg5_10.jpg

Road

image.jpg17_5.jpg

The first sighting you get of the sacred rock, keep going to the path left of this and find yourself a nice spot

image.jpg18_5.jpg

image.jpg14_4.jpg

image.jpg9_8.jpg

image.jpg8_8.jpg

There are many stray dogs on these islands, all very friendly and healthy! Some kids were digging a hole, this one jumped in to help, then promptly fell asleep.

image.jpg3_10.jpg

Some ladies were serving traditional dish Bougna, some kind of chicken and fish stew wrapped in leaves, they offer this for free, which confused me (I thought there was no such thing as a free lunch!) when I found out the ships actually pay for it

image.jpg6_8.jpg

Later in the day

image.jpg2_11.jpg

image.jpg1_16.jpg

Thanks Tiger Lily, I'm enjoying the narrative and the pics. You stated: "

Back for seadays one and two, after a trip to the doctor. Be aware that if you nick yourself shaving, followed by swimming in foreign lagoons, you just may get an infection! I have a hefty dose of antibiotics, but otherwise it appears I will live.

May I add that you don't even have to have an open cut or nick to catch a foreign parasite? I had an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora and was warned not to let any part of me rest against the ladder that descended into the lagoon. Somehow my chest made contact and rubbed against some seaweed clinging to it. Took me 3 months to get rid of that rash. But it was a small price to pay for being in heaven.

Please continue posting!

Thanks Tiger Lily, I'm enjoying the narrative and the pics. You stated: "

Back for seadays one and two, after a trip to the doctor. Be aware that if you nick yourself shaving, followed by swimming in foreign lagoons, you just may get an infection! I have a hefty dose of antibiotics, but otherwise it appears I will live.

May I add that you don't even have to have an open cut or nick to catch a foreign parasite? I had an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora and was warned not to let any part of me rest against the ladder that descended into the lagoon. Somehow my chest made contact and rubbed against some seaweed clinging to it. Took me 3 months to get rid of that rash. But it was a small price to pay for being in heaven.

Please continue posting!

Oh Bora Bora! That is a bucket list location! That must have been a bit scary, especially as it took so long to clear. I got a bit nervous over the weekend when it appeared to be getting worse, but it's looking much better today. And no, it wouldn't stop me traveling, it's worth it!

Delighted to hear that some Carnival ship offers Weetabix. This native Brit misses them!

Those of us in the States should have an interest in the outcome of what I suspect is a trial period for an all-pay Room Service Menu. If it works for them in Australian waters, it just might land in the US/Caribbean/Mexico.

That would be a change I don't want to see.

Delighted to hear that some Carnival ship offers Weetabix. This native Brit misses them!

Those of us in the States should have an interest in the outcome of what I suspect is a trial period for an all-pay Room Service Menu. If it works for them in Australian waters, it just might land in the US/Caribbean/Mexico.

That would be a change I don't want to see.

Possibly, I don't know, I do know it was the same last year in March on my Spirit cruise, I don't think they have ever had complimentary room service here.

It reminds of a few other differences I haven't yet mentioned -

There is no FTTF here. (But VIFP status is recognized).

We've always had staggered check in times (perhaps we were the guinea pigs), and you choose your time when doing online check in.

The legal drinking age is 18 in Australia, and is the same on the ships, Serenity deck also allows 18+.

They are no longer allowing powerboards (power strips? Not sure what you call them there) of any kind on the ships, surge protected or not - no power strips at all. There was a Carnival person wearing one around her neck and asking each passenger if they had one in their luggage. This is a recent change as I was allowed one last year on Spirit.

And another difference between Spirit and Legend I forgot - Spirit has Jimmy's C-Side BBQ. This was missed by me!

We were getting off the Legend when you got on, they also mixed up Caribbean night menu to the day after but Mexican night had the correct menu, don't know what's going on there never happened before on our last 3 Carnival cruises.

Our next cruise will be back on the Spirit as we all missed Jimmy's BBQ too.

Great review

We were getting off the Legend when you got on, they also mixed up Caribbean night menu to the day after but Mexican night had the correct menu, don't know what's going on there never happened before on our last 3 Carnival cruises.

Our next cruise will be back on the Spirit as we all missed Jimmy's BBQ too.

Great review

Yes I was sure it was the same nights on my Spirit cruise. Some kind of communication issue I'm guessing, or a last minute change of dates. I'm sure it takes copious amounts of planning to feed 3000+ people and the kitchen would have to have the dates well in advance, being unable to switch at the last minute if it's changed for some reason.

Edited by Tigerlily75

First time cruising so I'm very interested in the check in process. So if you arrive at your booked check in time you should query at the front of the line and then should hopefully be let in (new to this I would have just waited in line not knowing)? And so there is no FTTF in Australia? I was very interested in purchasing this as my daughters are in a suite and I was hoping having FTTF we might get through check in at roughly the same time.

First time cruising so I'm very interested in the check in process. So if you arrive at your booked check in time you should query at the front of the line and then should hopefully be let in (new to this I would have just waited in line not knowing)? And so there is no FTTF in Australia? I was very interested in purchasing this as my daughters are in a suite and I was hoping having FTTF we might get through check in at roughly the same time.

No there's no FTTF option. But if there is a long line, and you are within your allocated time, definitely go and query it. We had the first time of 11.30am-12.00pm, and we turned up at 11.50am. I just saw all those people and thought there couldn't possibly be that many for the first time slot.

Once we entered, the whole process did not take very long. If you can have a green departure card filled out prior, that will save some time, also your health questionnaire. Where it says "Country you'll spend the most time in" on the departure card, just put "cruise".

The first thing you'll do is check in with Carnival, they'll take your picture and give you your Sail & Sign card. Next is immigration. And last is customs. It all moved pretty fast. The only advantage I could see if we had FTTF is having your cabin ready upon boarding, but ours was ready at 1.30pm, so it was fine.

No there's no FTTF option. But if there is a long line, and you are within your allocated time, definitely go and query it. We had the first time of 11.30am-12.00pm, and we turned up at 11.50am. I just saw all those people and thought there couldn't possibly be that many for the first time slot.

Once we entered, the whole process did not take very long. If you can have a green departure card filled out prior, that will save some time, also your health questionnaire. Where it says "Country you'll spend the most time in" on the departure card, just put "cruise".

The first thing you'll do is check in with Carnival, they'll take your picture and give you your Sail & Sign card. Next is immigration. And last is customs. It all moved pretty fast. The only advantage I could see if we had FTTF is having your cabin ready upon boarding, but ours was ready at 1.30pm, so it was fine.

Thanks, I will definitely inquiry when we arrive, very handy information as I would have just joined the line not knowing better. And a great few tips to get through quicker. We do have a 12-12.30 check in time so waiting a short time for our cabin to be ready won't be a problem as I don't think we will have much carry on luggage.

Minor yet ******ing query lol. Do people tend to actually dress up for the theme nights? I've seen lots of comments in older posts suggesting that minimal people actually dress up. And for caribbean night what do they wear? Do straw skirts etc fit this theme, if i google it lots of barely-there outfits come up 😕

Minor yet ******ing query lol. Do people tend to actually dress up for the theme nights? I've seen lots of comments in older posts suggesting that minimal people actually dress up. And for caribbean night what do they wear? Do straw skirts etc fit this theme, if i google it lots of barely-there outfits come up 😕

I'd probably agree with past comments, it wasn't an overwhelming majority, but certainly some did. I think I did see some grass skirts, along with Hawaiian shirts, flowery dresses etc. Mexican night there were many sombreros, ponchos, mustaches! The parties on Lido for these were relatively popular. And hopefully the MDR menus will be on the right nights!!

I'd probably agree with past comments, it wasn't an overwhelming majority, but certainly some did. I think I did see some grass skirts, along with Hawaiian shirts, flowery dresses etc. Mexican night there were many sombreros, ponchos, mustaches! The parties on Lido for these were relatively popular. And hopefully the MDR menus will be on the right nights!!

Awesome, thanks for that. Yeah i was just thinking something simple. Got a sombrero for mexican night and was thinking a grass skirt for caribbean. My 3yr old would love it so want to make a bit of effort.

Thanks heaps

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglebowler viewpost.gif

Loving this review, I reckon we got off the Legend the morning that you got on.

Lovely! Did you love Eli & Mason? I though they were great, made for a really fun cruise!

The last thing I'm gonna do is hijack this excellent review! Just by reading I feel that you are very much like us, down to earth, appreciative of a great holiday and really really love cruising!!!

So when you've concluded i'll make some points & ask for your opinion on a few topics.

Just quickly for now i'll just touch on a couple of replies. Firstly, yeah Mason was great, Eli I thought was a little bit subdued for a CD.

Noumea....look we reckon it's great, but you have to get away from the port, that's the crap area. Get the Hop on Hop off bus aprox $20 and get to Lemon Bay & Anse Vata about 15 mins away and it's beautiful.

We love Carnival and the Legend (been on only 2 cruises both on the Legend), but they really have to stop saying Caribbean/Mexican NIGHT and call it truthfully as Caribbean/Mexican HOUR. It's a bit of anticlimax for those of us that have to bring all the extra gear on a plane for such a short party.

For all of you in the USA be happy,from what I understand you get much better deals than down here. A good thing down under IMHO is that smoking onboard Aussie cruises is extremely limited which I think is good.

OK back to your really enjoyable review Tigerlily75, again apologies for interrupting.

Great review - thanks for taking the time. We'll be on Legend in September for our first Carnival cruise, so I'm really glad to see your on ship photos - particularly of the food.

Did you eat in the buffet at all? Just curious as to the variety.

Can I just get it right - in room breakfast costs $$, it's just that we like to have brekkie in our cabin on shore days.

Cheers, Diane

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglebowler viewpost.gif

Loving this review, I reckon we got off the Legend the morning that you got on.

Lovely! Did you love Eli & Mason? I though they were great, made for a really fun cruise!

The last thing I'm gonna do is hijack this excellent review! Just by reading I feel that you are very much like us, down to earth, appreciative of a great holiday and really really love cruising!!!

So when you've concluded i'll make some points & ask for your opinion on a few topics.

Just quickly for now i'll just touch on a couple of replies. Firstly, yeah Mason was great, Eli I thought was a little bit subdued for a CD.

Noumea....look we reckon it's great, but you have to get away from the port, that's the crap area. Get the Hop on Hop off bus aprox $20 and get to Lemon Bay & Anse Vata about 15 mins away and it's beautiful.

We love Carnival and the Legend (been on only 2 cruises both on the Legend), but they really have to stop saying Caribbean/Mexican NIGHT and call it truthfully as Caribbean/Mexican HOUR. It's a bit of anticlimax for those of us that have to bring all the extra gear on a plane for such a short party.

For all of you in the USA be happy,from what I understand you get much better deals than down here. A good thing down under IMHO is that smoking onboard Aussie cruises is extremely limited which I think is good.

OK back to your really enjoyable review Tigerlily75, again apologies for interrupting.

No don't apologise, it's always interesting to hear others views and experiences! Yes you describe us well, we are pretty easy going and always happy to be travelling, not too fussed about things being perfect.

And you're right, it really is Mexican hour, that is something that could be dine so much better!

Great review - thanks for taking the time. We'll be on Legend in September for our first Carnival cruise, so I'm really glad to see your on ship photos - particularly of the food.

Did you eat in the buffet at all? Just curious as to the variety.

Can I just get it right - in room breakfast costs $$, it's just that we like to have brekkie in our cabin on shore days.

Cheers, Diane

I have some more food & ship pics to come, work has been getting in the way but I'll get them up soon! Unfortunately, in-room brekky will cost you. It was not worth it to me, eg $3 for a little box of cereal when you can walk up to Lido and get the same thing for free. You can however bring food to your cabin from Lido so you could always send someone up to grab some food. Not quite the same though, I know!

I didn't eat any dinners in the buffet, but I ate breakfast/snacks/lunch. I thought the food was of a good variety, it would be very hard to go hungry. There were many varied hot meals each lunch & dinner, carvery, soup, a salad bar, the deli where they make you sandwiches (including toasted) and wraps etc. There's 24 hour pizza which is Italian style and really good. I also liked the Sweet Spot for afternoon fruit and freshly baked cookies, that became a bit of a habit! In the mornings there's an omelette station for freshly made omelettes or fried eggs.

The MDR usually serves breakfast each day also, including disembarkation day, and on some seadays they have "Seaday Brunch" which runs 8am until 1pm.