What deck for Alaska?

tammymacb

I'm looking at sailing Alaska in 2017. I'll sail in a balcony. Question: should I choose a room high or low in the ship?

I sailed Disney through the Norwegian fjords in 2015 and sailed on Deck 7. I'd assume the scenery would be somewhat similar. Is there a reason to choose a higher or lower deck?

Thanks!

I've only done Alaska on a Princess ship, but I don't really think there'd be much difference in scenery between the various decks as far as being able to see the glaciers and macro-scale scenery.

You may get a little bit less wind down lower.

Another consideration would be a good, unobstructed view down to the water from your balcony to see marine life such as dolphins, whales, etc.

My thoughts are in the FWIW category, but I would just make sure there are only cabins above and below, as the few feet difference in elevation above the waterline is not going to change the view very much. Lower is more stable generally, if that is of concern.

That being said, we are sailing on Solstice to Alaska next month and chose aft balcony cabins on Deck 9 (cabins above and below, wake and 180 degree rear views). I am aware they are raked back a bit from the stern and are not covered, but the broader view is worth it to us.

Cruises which cross the Gulf of Alaska can occasionally encounter storms in the Gulf. If your itinerary includes a Gulf crossing (these are the itineraries which go into or out of Seward) and a member of your party is susceptible to seasickness then a stateroom on a lower deck might be a consideration.

An aft is absolutely the best place to be.

While we love the deck 11 afts, for Alaska I'd go lower. There are two places where the aft is unparalleled. Sailing Hubbard Glacier as the ship slowly rotates you can jump in and out of the cold air and not miss a thing. You also don't have to fight the crowds along the rails of any open deck.

The other best viewing award goes to Icy Straits. Nothing beats sailing away from the inlet as wildlife and sea creatures return to the shores and/or follow the ship.