Which balcony location would you choose on Harmony?

I'm looking at booking a balcony cabin for a sailing on Harmony but I'm a bit overwhelmed looking at deck plans - I've only sailed on small ships before.

I'm wondering if on Oasis size ships there are some deck recommendations/decks to avoid? What balcony room would you book?

We are family of 4 with 2 kids (who for sure would like kids clubs, pools and other fun activities). Thanks for any advice!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Glad you mentioned the kids, as that would be the first question I'd ask. On Allure we had rooms very close to aft, and it was a loooong walk to the kids club. :D Not a huge deal except when picking up DS later at night after he'd fallen asleep, it was a long way to carry him.

It's hard to really explain how big Oasis class ships are... If there is someplace you think you'll frequent, or want easy access to, it is definitely best to get a room close to there. For us it would be near the kids club, which would also be close to the solarium. For others it might be somewhere else. Just remember that the up and down isn't so bad, it's the length of the ship that's so long.

Lepton hit the nail on the head! Go close to what you will do most. For my upcoming trip on the Allure I chose a crown loft suite since it is our honeymoon, we will have a lot of time in the room/suite lounge. And it is very close to the pools and windjammer, which we like.

For many people, central park is their favorite place on the Oasis class so deck 7-9 are very popular.

With kids, and the kids area being up front on the Oasis class, you may want to be further up that way. But that does put you farther from the windjammer.

Don't let the size of the ship scare you! Its very navigable especially if you are good at remembering places you've been.

Thanks a lot that's a great advice, can't really imagine how you navigate such a big ship!

You will be surprised how easy it is to navigate. Some long walks, but not a complicated layout at all.

I would like deck 8, to be close to Central Park.

We loved deck 8 (D 7) on Oasis.

Been often to Central Park but never on our verandah for bad weather on a TA in October 2014

This time we will try B2 deck 11 on the boardwalk sighting Aqua Theatre.

You will be surprised how easy it is to navigate. Some long walks, but not a complicated layout at all.

This is 100% true. Very easy to navigate and very intuitive design. Mostly straight lines and not many winding passageways. You'll end up memorizing which deck the main neighborhoods are on (promenade, boardwalk, central park, etc) early on in your cruise. It's very easy to navigate, just takes a while to walk from the front to back, or walking from some spots to the other side of the ship. For example, if you were traveling with others and you each had a aquatheater suite on different sides of the ship, there's be a long walk to get back and forth between them.

If there isn't one place that you want to be close to, I'd book mid-ship. CP balcony or oceanview balcony between the two stairwells. It will give you the opportunity to get to each set of stairs/elevators fairly quickly, and keep you from the extreme edges of the ship unless that's where you're going to.

If I were booking today for my family, I'd go the more forward hump on deck 12.

We are a family of 4 as well (grandma - me, my daughter and her 2 teenagers). I've booked a balcony D8 8564 for daughter and myself and an inside N across the hall for the teens. The location seems to be good. There aren't too many balcony cabins with inside cabins across from them. I feel lucky to have booked these. This was as close to mid-ship as I could get. At least we have 2 bathrooms! :)

If you get a cabin in the middle of the ship it will be convenient to all and the walk would not be bad to either direction of the ship. That is why we always get a cabin midship.

• 2 weeks later...

I was ready to book our balcony on deck 12 when I realized that 2 connecting rooms would be significantly cheaper - $1000 less for virtual balcony + inside or $500 for 2 ocean views! Anyone has suggestions booking balcony vs 2 inside or ocean view cabins? Kids are 5 and 7 and would be ok in their room if we can have open doors between us but we might miss balcony... (Our family only traveled in balcony before)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had a balcony cabin on Deck 8 on Oasis and if we ever sail on that class again, that is exactly what I would book again. I liked being on the same deck as Central Park. We loved getting breakfast or lunch at the Park Cafe and eating on our balcony. You can also get on or off the Rising Tide on that deck.

Edited by TCBFlash

What is the "hump" section of the ship people are referring to? We've not sailed on this class of ships before and apparently I don't know the lingo yet!

There are sections of the ship that protrude out slightly the side of the ship.

See below, staterooms 10204 to 10190:

hm_deck10_v2016_mar.gif

Edited by clarea

Well looks like we booked in the "hump" and didn't even know it had a name! We booked 7606. It's a D8 so the least expensive balcony, but if you look at the deck plan it APPEARS to have an ever so slightly larger balcony as the balcony transitions to the D4 extra large balconies. Will be curious to see how much extra space this really provides. ????

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/images/fleet/decks/main/hm/2016-mar/hm_deck07_v2016_mar.gif