Dining with a saver fare booking

torty

We're booked on a saver fare on Britannia in June where dining is allocated on arrival. Not sure how this works. If we're allocated freedom dining does that mean we can eat any time during the evening. I'm a bit concerned as I can't eat too close to bedtime and would be unhappy if we were allocated the second sitting with fixed dining and wonder if anyone has been able to change the allocated dining once aboard, obviously subject to availability.

We're booked on a saver fare on Britannia in June where dining is allocated on arrival. Not sure how this works. If we're allocated freedom dining does that mean we can eat any time during the evening. I'm a bit concerned as I can't eat too close to bedtime and would be unhappy if we were allocated the second sitting with fixed dining and wonder if anyone has been able to change the allocated dining once aboard, obviously subject to availability.

Yes, when you get into your cabin you will find a card with which dining you have been allocated.

If you are lucky it will say freedom, which means you can go down any time between x and xx. You will either be shown to a table where you are sharing with others, or you can request a table for two (you may have to wait for one to become available)

Or you could find you have been allocated 1 or 2nd set dining.

If what you have been allocated is not what you want you can join a very long q after boarding to see the MD to TRY and change it.

They will always do their best to try and give customers what they want, but that is not always possible , and sometimes not from the first night.

If the worst comes to the worst, and you get allocated 2nd, and they cannot change it, then the money you have saved on the fare for the cruise you may have to spend in the pay for dining options (or the buffet) to get the time you want.

Your are more likely than not to be allocated Freedom Dining since Britannia has two Freedom Dining restaurants and just the one Club Dining restaurant. However nothing is certain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the dining time is so important to you, may I ask why you booked a saver fare? (Apart obviously from saving money...:D) The Terms and conditions are clear at the time of booking.

Whilst I have nothing against you personally , it does irritate me a little that so many people are booking saver fares and then complaining - sometimes quite loudly - about the fact that they may not get the cabin and or dining that they want!

Im not keen on the system that P &O use for their fare pricing structure, but it is what it is and you know when booking what you are getting for your money.

I am booked on a saver fare for my next cruise and we will accept graciously what we are allocated.

If the dining time is so important to you, may I ask why you booked a saver fare? (Apart obviously from saving money...:D) The Terms and conditions are clear at the time of booking.

Whilst I have nothing against you personally , it does irritate me a little that so many people are booking saver fares and then complaining - sometimes quite loudly - about the fact that they may not get the cabin and or dining that they want!

Im not keen on the system that P &O use for their fare pricing structure, but it is what it is and you know when booking what you are getting for your money.

I am booked on a saver fare for my next cruise and we will accept graciously what we are allocated.

Well said!

As mentioned previously in this thread, with the huge amount of money saved on these fares, visits to the premium restaurants on occasions could be what the OP should consider, if allocated late dining.

I have a saver fare for my cruise on Oceana as I don't know the ship, so we are not fussed where our cabin is situated. However I will be hoping for freedom dining. If I don't get allocated freedom then I will be joining that long queue to try and switch, but if no luck there we will just eat at the specialty restaurants at a time that suits. :D

I

I think that's a little unfair. The Saver Fares are not always massively lower and some might not be able to afford the inflated Select Fares. Many advertised headline prices are saver fares and people may see those and be lured into trying a cruise. They shouldn't be meant to feel like second class citizens because of that (not saying that you are saying that but P&Os fare structure could make them feel that way).

Looking this summer P&O saver fares are pretty similar to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fares where you still get a choice of cabin and dining so perhaps the saver fares are about at the right price and people are paying more than they should to buy into P&Os Select Fare mentality ( pay more to get the things other cruise lines give you anyway, irrespective of the price you pay). I've said it before but allocating someone their preferred choice of dining when they book costs the cruise line nothing and yet P&O/Cunard get away with inflating their prices to do just that.

I think that's a little unfair. The Saver Fares are not always massively lower and some might not be able to afford the inflated Select Fares. Many advertised headline prices are saver fares and people may see those and be lured into trying a cruise. They shouldn't be meant to feel like second class citizens because of that (not saying that you are saying that but P&Os fare structure could make them feel that way).

Looking this summer P&O saver fares are pretty similar to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fares where you still get a choice of cabin and dining so perhaps the saver fares are about at the right price and people are paying more than they should to buy into P&Os Select Fare mentality ( pay more to get the things other cruise lines give you anyway, irrespective of the price you pay). I've said it before but allocating someone their preferred choice of dining when they book costs the cruise line nothing and yet P&O/Cunard get away with inflating their prices to do just that.

hear hear

[quote name=kevinyork;49675087

Looking this summer P&O saver fares are pretty similar to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fares where you still get a choice of cabin and dining so perhaps the saver fares are about at the right price and people are paying more than they should to buy into P&Os Select Fare mentality ( pay more to get the things other cruise lines give you anyway' date=' irrespective of the price you pay). I've said it before but allocating someone their preferred choice of dining when they book costs the cruise line nothing and yet P&O/Cunard get away with inflating their prices to do just that.[/quote]

My view exactly Kevin. We only book saver fares as we think that is the right price for the quality of P&O, especially with the recent complaints about food quality. As you say, dining choice costs them nothing and just makes the Select fare customers feel better (at a price). We go in 3 weeks time on a saver and we will be expecting to get our dining choice.

Edited by bee-ess

I don't believe any cruise line would intend to make anyone feel like second class people because they book a fare saver rate. you get the same stuff as everyone else, but you give up control of cabins/dining time to the cruise line in exchange for the lower rate. if yielding control of what you feel are major deal breakers of a cruise to a cruise line is ok with you, then go ahead and book at that rate. you get what they gave you. however, if you believe that you MIGHT be unhappy with any of the choices given, then pay the difference to get what you want.

it's like buying a house or car "as is". you pay a cheap price for it, but it might need some stuff to it. but then again, it might not.

I don't believe any cruise line would intend to make anyone feel like second class people because they book a fare saver rate. you get the same stuff as everyone else, but you give up control of cabins/dining time to the cruise line in exchange for the lower rate. if yielding control of what you feel are major deal breakers of a cruise to a cruise line is ok with you, then go ahead and book at that rate. you get what they gave you. however, if you believe that you MIGHT be unhappy with any of the choices given, then pay the difference to get what you want.

it's like buying a house or car "as is". you pay a cheap price for it, but it might need some stuff to it. but then again, it might not.

Accept what you say but other cruise line don't do that. An equivalent to a saver on RCi and Celebrity and you still choose your cabin and dining.

I've said it before but allocating someone their preferred choice of dining when they book costs the cruise line nothing and yet P&O/Cunard get away with inflating their prices to do just that.

I totally agree ... on other lines cabins can be booked as guarantee for a lower cost and you get allocated near the time of departure, as with the saver fares, but I have never encountered choice of dining being allocated on other lines - just a way to make money out of folks prepared to pay for the choice I guess. I had a word with the P&O agent at a cruise fair and she said I would easily be able to change my dining allocation once on board if it wasn't the one I wanted.

I did say, and I will say it again,

"I'm not keen on the system that P &O use for their fare pricing structure, but it is what it is and you know when booking what you are getting for your money. "

The point is, I know other cruise lines operate differently, and maybe better, and more fairly, but P & O operates the way it does. If you are not prepared to put up with the T's & C's then don't book! To book it and then "Expect" to get your choice is unfair... To "hope "..maybe.

I totally agree ... on other lines cabins can be booked as guarantee for a lower cost and you get allocated near the time of departure, as with the saver fares, but I have never encountered choice of dining being allocated on other lines - just a way to make money out of folks prepared to pay for the choice I guess. I had a word with the P&O agent at a cruise fair and she said I would easily be able to change my dining allocation once on board if it wasn't the one I wanted.

I could say she would say that. It's the MD who has to sort things out on board. If he can he will change it, if he can't......

When sorting things out it is based on fare you paid, though select payers should get what they want..early savers can give a pref on the CP. So it is only the saver fares who might want to swap. Anyway based on fare paid, and when booked. Therefore somebody who booked close to sailing date, would sort of be at the end of the q.

Also I have to say with the amount of OBS I have had in the past..select fare minus the OBS is probably not that much more than saver.

Other lines may not make dining times part of the parameters for the fare structures, they get you other ways though .

I did say, and I will say it again,

"I'm not keen on the system that P &O use for their fare pricing structure, but it is what it is and you know when booking what you are getting for your money. "

The point is, I know other cruise lines operate differently, and maybe better, and more fairly, but P & O operates the way it does. If you are not prepared to put up with the T's & C's then don't book! To book it and then "Expect" to get your choice is unfair... To "hope "..maybe.

I totally respect and accept what you say and from that viewpoint you are right.

My viewpoint is simple, all the while I get what I want I'll continue to book savers, When I don't, I won't book with them anymore. My experience has been that we can always get what we want, as we want 2nd fixed we will likely get it because there's always someone always wants to change from 2nd to 1st. We are equally happy with freedom but not 1st.

if yielding control of what you feel are major deal breakers of a cruise to a cruise line is ok with you, then go ahead and book at that rate. you get what they gave you. however, if you believe that you MIGHT be unhappy with any of the choices given, then pay the difference to get what you want.

I accept what you are saying but it isn't just a choice of a restricted saver fare versus a non restricted select fare, it's those two choices versus booking with a cruise line that doesn't punish passengers who pay a lower fare to fill their ships. With passengers such as us, P&Os fare structure pushes us away completely and they lose our business altogether. While others are happy to pay more for the free things most cruise lines include (at no cost to them) then P&O will continue to manipulate people with their two tier fare system.

An example : P&O Azura June 14 nights Baltics- Balcony-Saver Fare £1699. No choice of cabin or dining. £2031 for a select fare with choice of cabin and dining.

Celebrity Eclipse departing the same day £1407 for a guarantee balcony but with a free choice of dining or

£1683 with a choice of cabin and dining choice and free alcohol drinks package.

So £348 cheaper for an unrestricted fare on Celebrity with a drinks package included.

It's a no brainer.

Edited by kevinyork

So there's a choice - if people don't like the price structure on P&O but like the one on Celebrity then they should choose to sail with Celebrity! Easy.

Or P&O could modernise their thinking and appeal to a wider range of cruisers - win win

If there is limited capacity for freedom dining it seems reasonable to me that those who have paid most, by opting for select should get the first choice. If this means that others on cheaper fares lose out, well that's just how life is.

Suites get priority on tendering. Same thing.

David.

Now here's a thing some of us are happy with the pando product. We don't all think it's perfect, but we are happy with it.

All people keep on saying is princess do it soo much better, Celebrity do it so much better.

For the people who sail with them they obviously do what those people are happy with.

We are down in Southampton, and the really really ugly Ovation of. The seas is in. It's huge and bears no resemblance to a ship, except for its bottom. Now there will be those who say you can sail on her in a suite for half a crown. You can drive dogem cars, you can climb walls.

That is not what I want from a ship

We always pay select as we want to chose cabin and dining. They brought this in as people moaned that people who paid a lot less for their cruise, got the same choice as those who paid a lot more.

Be careful what you wish for...the wish May not be granted as you wanted

I had a word with the P&O agent at a cruise fair and she said I would easily be able to change my dining allocation once on board if it wasn't the one I wanted.

Sorry to say but I would take that assurance with a pinch of salt. The people on board the ships often say one thing, those shoreside say another.

Wanting to change your dining sitting and saying anyone shoreside or at a cruise fair said you would be able to change your dining allocation will not aid your request. The restaurant managers and food and beverage manager are the ones on board who deal with the requests.

Sorry to say but I would take that assurance with a pinch of salt. The people on board the ships often say one thing, those shoreside say another.

Wanting to change your dining sitting and saying anyone shoreside or at a cruise fair said you would be able to change your dining allocation will not aid your request. The restaurant managers and food and beverage manager are the ones on board who deal with the requests.

We have always managed to change with no problem. If we can't that will be our last P&O cruise.

Edited by bee-ess

We always pay select as we want to chose cabin and dining. They brought this in as people moaned that people who paid a lot less for their cruise, got the same choice as those who paid a lot more.

But that is saying we always pay more, to get what other lines provide as part of the basic cruise fare, by doing so you support their silly fare structure.

By the way, Ovation Of The Seas, like Anthem, offers superb service, excellent entertainment, varied dining venues and great amenities so even if you didn't want to 'bumper car' it's a great value package. Plus you choose your cabin and dining without paying extra for the 'privilege'.

Now here's a thing some of us are happy with the pando product. We don't all think it's perfect, but we are happy with it.

All people keep on saying is princess do it soo much better, Celebrity do it so much better.

For the people who sail with them they obviously do what those people are happy with.

We are down in Southampton, and the really really ugly Ovation of. The seas is in. It's huge and bears no resemblance to a ship, except for its bottom. Now there will be those who say you can sail on her in a suite for half a crown. You can drive dogem cars, you can climb walls.

That is not what I want from a ship

Quite agree! If people don't like it sail with someone else - as others have said there's other choices.

But that is saying we always pay more, to get what other lines provide as part of the basic cruise fare, by doing so you support their silly fare structure.

By the way, Ovation Of The Seas, like Anthem, offers superb service, excellent entertainment, varied dining venues and great amenities so even if you didn't want to 'bumper car' it's a great value package. Plus you choose your cabin and dining without paying extra for the 'privilege'.

I have read on the Celebrity boards about services going down. A friend on my went on a princess cruise and told me on her return that she felt nickel and dimed the whole time.

I cruise on a ship I have no need of the rubbish on Ovation. To me it is uneeded stuff.

When I am back from my visit to Southampton I will post links to what I am looking at for my next holiday. You will see from that why I would hate to go on Ovation. You obviously would like it I wouldn't.

I have said pando suits us. It will always suit us, but I think the American lines, no thank you.

It is good we like different lines. We are all different people.

You say other lines offer cheap fares without the hoops pando do. Good for them. There are numerous reasons why I would not sail with them.