Dining with a saver fare booking

torty

On the website it just says 'Saver Fare' - not early or late. Sorry, but I will never understand why they don't ask you what your preference would be, no matter what fare you are booking. People booking late on a saver fare are filling cabins that would otherwise be empty and the guests will be spending money onboard - they get a lower price but they do have the inconvenience of not having long to get ready, in addition to not having any choice of cabin. It would cost P&O nothing to ask what your preference would be for dining to try and make you happy - by not bothering to ask they give the impression of not caring whether you enjoy the trip or not. Very odd for a service industry.

Use some of the money saved on speciality dining, that way you get decent food at a time you want to eat, plus a table for two. That's what we do.

OK for all the posters on here who think pando are doing things soley to annoy THEM.

How about everyone expresses their pref when booking.

What you end up with you cannot change at all whatsoever.

Will that keep people happy. You would have a cheap fare and the option to state a pref. Of course not everyone who books late will get their preferred option. But hey people get their wish to be asked.

At least with the way it is, if it can be changed on board it will be.

Sounds great......except that those that don't get their preference will still then go whinging to the Maitre'D " why didnt i get what i asked for....".

Managing expectations....say you will get nothing, then anything on top of that is a bonus.

Sorry, but that is just crazy. You should at least be able to state what your preference would be, whilst accepting there is no guarantee. How hard would it be for there to be a tick box where you say what your first choice would be and then they try and match it if they can.....madness.

No it is perfectly sensible *for P&O*.

Some customers will be fearful that what is imposed on them will not be suitable and they may not be able to change onboard, so pay the premium Select fare. Extra profits for P&O and more champagne in the director's dining room.

As also mentioned it stops people complaining if they don't get what they asked for.

If you tell saver customers they get to express a preference and don't meet it - Unhappy customers.

If you tell saver customers they don't get to express a preference, but people either get what they want through the random allocation or changing on board - Happy customers (or more happy than those who you allowed to express a preference and couldn't meet).

Why worry about the Dining choice, we booked the Early Saver Fare with the intention to book the specialty restaurants. We will book on-line before sailing with the massive saving. The MDR food is always below par, so it is win-win as far as we are concerned

Why worry about the Dining choice, we booked the Early Saver Fare with the intention to book the specialty restaurants. We will book on-line before sailing with the massive saving. The MDR food is always below par, so it is win-win as far as we are concerned

Sounds like a plan!

Having sailed with both Celebrity and P&O I have to say the £1638 deal with drinks and choice of cabin and dining really is a no brainer! There are some really good things that Celebrity provide over P&O and I don't see how the difference can ever be justified, plus with the drinks package included you are saving your on board bill, far more than £348 saved.

Yup, cannot argue with that. Plus Celebrity are 5 star, P&O are 4 star.

They do not pointlessly refuse the request. If it can be accommodated it will be.

We do not go over to the American boards moaning how their ships operate that we do not like, we accept it does not suit us, and do not go on them. For the few on these boards (and on a full ship how many people do you actually think read CC) why don't you stay with the lines that accomate your wishes in a way you want, and leave with with pando that operates how we want.

Does it operate how you want? Do you really enjoy paying a lot more to choose a cabin and dining preference when other lines give you those options for free? Do you really want P&O to make you pay extra to feel special by allowing you (at no cost to them) to select your cabin and dining preference when other lines make that a given. The more people that buy into this misnomer the more P&O will get away with it. If you could book a lower fare, choose your cabin and dining preference and get all your drinks paid for on Celebrity, why still pay more on P&O?

Does it operate how you want? Do you really enjoy paying a lot more to choose a cabin and dining preference when other lines give you those options for free? Do you really want P&O to make you pay extra to feel special by allowing you (at no cost to them) to select your cabin and dining preference when other lines make that a given. The more people that buy into this misnomer the more P&O will get away with it. If you could book a lower fare, choose your cabin and dining preference and get all your drinks paid for on Celebrity, why still pay more on P&O?

You are so right...it is an utter nonsense. Glad it's not just me that sees it this way. :)

I don't think I am bleating......a forum is a place where people can express their opinions and that is all I was doing. I was simply surprised, having never booked a saver fare before, that P&O did not bother to ask their customers to express a preference in terms of dining, no matter what the fare. It is well known that all cruise lines have staff who monitor these boards and it is possible that my comments, and others expressed on this forum, will be read and fed back. Of course, whether it will be acted upon is another matter. If we don't express our opinion how will they know what potential customers are thinking?

Before you sail you will receive an e-mail in which you are asked your preference. I'm sure you will get that if it is available. We did on our first cruise with P&O.

It's a silly question to ask if people enjoy paying more because that's not how people look at it. Yes, I'm happy to pay the price to get the cabin I want, with the dining time I prefer on an itinerary I've chosen and on a line which suits me best overall. It's worth the money and it doesn't make me feel special. That is not P&O's intention. It's a choice offered to passengers.

Like I said we cruise with different lines - our next 2 cruises are with Cunard- but whatever line we travel on, we go back to P&O. We're happy with how they operate on the whole and we'll continue to pay select fare. On U.S. Lines we could say we get fleeced on board. The choice is there for all of us and we are willing to pay high prices on the American lines (e.g. bottle of wine) because that's how they operate. I cannot understand if you're not happy with the product P&O offers why you would consider cruising with them again.

Edited by tartanexile81

On the website it just says 'Saver Fare' - not early or late. Sorry, but I will never understand why they don't ask you what your preference would be, no matter what fare you are booking. People booking late on a saver fare are filling cabins that would otherwise be empty and the guests will be spending money onboard - they get a lower price but they do have the inconvenience of not having long to get ready, in addition to not having any choice of cabin. It would cost P&O nothing to ask what your preference would be for dining to try and make you happy - by not bothering to ask they give the impression of not caring whether you enjoy the trip or not. Very odd for a service industry.

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you kruzgal......but just to clarify for others and particularly for new P &O cruisers a couple of points relating to your post.

"Select" fares are always available to book and you chose your cabin and dining arrangements.

There are 2 types of saver fares....Early Saver - which are described as that when you book, and "late" saver - described as Saver, and both are on a guarantee basis.

Early Saver fares are not offered on all cruises and not on all cabin grades -but if they are offered are usually offered around 6- 9 months out from the cruise dates. On those fares you CAN express a dining preference, this is done through your cruise personaliser via an email link. It is normal on Early saver fares to chose your (minimum) cabin grade - not "type" - so you do actually have an element of choice eg you could book an DA grade (Highest Superior deluxe balcony) and that is the minimum you will get, so you have a pretty good idea of where your cabin will be. (Eg on Azura/Ventura it will be midships deck D)

(late) Saver fares are usually offered after the payment date has passed (so within 3months of sailing date). With these you normally book a cabin "type" eg. Inside, outside, balcony and are guaranteed a cabin of that type and that can be anywhere on the ship. So for example you could book a Balcony cabin and you could end up with anything from an HF grade to a DA grade (eg Azura/Ventura). With these fares you cannot express a dining preference and will be slotted in where there are gaps.

Hope that is helpful...

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you kruzgal......but just to clarify for others and particularly for new P &O cruisers a couple of points relating to your post.

"Select" fares are always available to book and you chose your cabin and dining arrangements.

There are 2 types of saver fares....Early Saver - which are described as that when you book, and "late" saver - described as Saver, and both are on a guarantee basis.

Early Saver fares are not offered on all cruises and not on all cabin grades -but if they are offered are usually offered around 6- 9 months out from the cruise dates. On those fares you CAN express a dining preference, this is done through your cruise personaliser via an email link. It is normal on Early saver fares to chose your (minimum) cabin grade - not "type" - so you do actually have an element of choice eg you could book an DA grade (Highest Superior deluxe balcony) and that is the minimum you will get, so you have a pretty good idea of where your cabin will be. (Eg on Azura/Ventura it will be midships deck D)

(late) Saver fares are usually offered after the payment date has passed (so within 3months of sailing date). With these you normally book a cabin "type" eg. Inside, outside, balcony and are guaranteed a cabin of that type and that can be anywhere on the ship. So for example you could book a Balcony cabin and you could end up with anything from an HF grade to a DA grade (eg Azura/Ventura). With these fares you cannot express a dining preference and will be slotted in where there are gaps.

Hope that is helpful...

Thanks, What a great guide, esp. for new P&O cruisers.

But, does anyone else think that they have made a fairly simple thing VERY complicated. Just as they have with the embarkation.

Thanks, What a great guide, esp. for new P&O cruisers.

But, does anyone else think that they have made a fairly simple thing VERY complicated. Just as they have with the embarkation.

Well...yes....and no! In the "old" days, pricing was still just as fluid - they used to bring out several editions of the brochure and kept changing the prices. And you rang up (or your TA did) and the rpice would be different! You chose your cabin OR booked a guarantee cabin and you expressed a dining preference which you may or may not get an noone knew how that worked out either unless it was first come first served.

Boarding....a controversial issue. But in the "old" days, you were given a boarding time and that is what you aimed for. It is in more recent years that people started ignoring boarding times and turning up earlier amd earlier which has caused the move back to enforcing boarding times. Even more necessary with the bigger the ships get. FWIW - i do believe it would be better if a choice of boarding times was offered at time of booking...so late bookers would get what's left....and the arguments will start all over again! But I doubt P &O's IT systems are up to that at the moment.

You simply cannot please all of the people any of the time!

But I am a pretty chilled person really, and think there are far more important things in life to worry about than what time I get on the ship. As I have said before....as long as I am on it before it sails and have a glass of something in my hand when it does I am happy.

. We will book on-line before sailing with the massive saving. The MDR food is always below par, so it is win-win as far as we are concerned

If you want a specific cruise you have to take the risk of it being sold out though.

David.

Hope that is helpful...

Many thanks for this...very helpful as a new to P&O cruiser!

I cannot understand if you're not happy with the product P&O offers why you would consider cruising with them again.

We sailed last year with P&O as it was a 80th birthday treat for our respective Mums. One has cruised a lot but for one it was their first so we thought the Britishness would be comforting and when we booked the OBC was massive so that incited us to do it.

However ever since the Vantage Fare stupidity that turned into Select Fares we don't look at P&O now. Our well cruised Mum now much prefers Celebrity and unfortunately my OHs mum passed after the one and only cruise.

We are not prepared to pay hundreds more just for the privilege of choosing a cabin and dining, something other cruise lines give you whatever fare grade you book.

Celebrity might charge you more for a bottle of wine but they don't charge you for cruise basics such as a cabin choice or dining choice. However, with Celebrity's drinks packages being thrown in for free on our last three cruises even that comparison isn't valid.

We get a 5 star cruise line with drinks for less than a P&O cruise without drinks. That's a no brainer for us.

So to answer your question. I don't think we will ever be sailing P&O again.

Edited by kevinyork

Hope that is helpful...

A great explanation.

We sailed last year with P&O as it was a 80th birthday treat for our respective Mums. One has cruised a lot but for one it was their first so we thought the Britishness would be comforting and when we booked the OBC was massive so that incited us to do it.

However ever since the Vantage Fare stupidity that turned into Select Fares we don't look at P&O now. Our well cruised Mum now much prefers Celebrity and unfortunately my OHs mum passed after the one and only cruise.

We are not prepared to pay hundreds more just for the privilege of choosing a cabin and dining, something other cruise lines give you whatever fare grade you book.

Celebrity might charge you more for a bottle of wine but they don't charge you for cruise basics such as a cabin choice or dining choice. However, with Celebrity's drinks packages being thrown in for free on our last three cruises even that comparison isn't valid.

We get a 5 star cruise line with drinks for less than a P&O cruise without drinks. That's a no brainer for us.

So to answer your question. I don't think we will ever be sailing P&O again.

Currently the only thing that is making me look at P&O is the fact that it is year round from the UK

My last two cruises with them have been Christmas ones and they were very poor value as we had to pay select fare.

I may use them again but as the Christmas itineraries are not very exciting I am not tempted for the next couple of Christmases which is the only time I would pay select fare (as I consider I have little choice). Generally I just don't think select fare is value for money

I have some compensation from the last cruise fiasco and am considering Britannia in the autumn only because they have a decent selection of speciality restaurants. I am not very bothered by entertainment and the highlight of each evening for me is a nice meal - and we rarely got that on the Oceana at Christmas

I would not go on Oceana again if you paid me

Like I said I feel fleeced on board US ships and I think celebrity is the worst offender. The whole culture is about getting as much money out of their customers as possible. There are many other examples I could have given apart from wine and bar drinks - price of speciality restaurants, tours, photos..... By the time I've paid all that, I'd rather pay the equivalent on P&O to get my ideal cruise. We have tried Celebrity several times and have decided it's not for us because we like friendlier ships. On our last one they were so busy telling us how lucky we were to be on board "the beautiful Celebrity Equinox", they forgot to provide any decent entertainment.

This thread is going nowhere fast because we're all entitled to our differing views and we're very happy with what cruise we decide to take and why. It is up to each of us to decide what represents best value for our own requirements and for us at present that is P&O.