Metromover in Miami

Broch

We are staying in the Doubletree grand Hotel Miami Post Cruise and wondered has anyone used the Metromover at night? I think one runs from Bayside Marketplace to Omni station which is near the D/tree and Mariott. Is it safe enough and close enough to walk from the station to the hotel at night when dark. Our Pre cruise hotel is the Hyatt regency and I believe there is a station there too.

Vision of the Seas to Alaska SEPTEMBER 2000

Voyager of the Seas to Western Caribbean MARCH 2005

Explorer of the Seas to Eastern Caribbean APRIL 2006

We are staying in the Doubletree grand Hotel Miami Post Cruise and wondered has anyone used the Metromover at night? I think one runs from Bayside Marketplace to Omni station which is near the D/tree and Mariott. Is it safe enough and close enough to walk from the station to the hotel at night when dark. Our Pre cruise hotel is the Hyatt regency and I believe there is a station there too.

A group of us tried to take the Metromover from Bayside (down the street and across the street) and found it locked one evening. The hours at that staion are not that late into the evening. The area between Bayside and the two hotels (Doubletree & Marriott) is not that great of an area. I would take taxi's from the hotels to Bayside. On the other hand, I have always been comfortable walking from the Hyatt to Bayside at any hour.

As a local I would not recommend you use Metromover at night. It's okay during the day, if you're not alone, but at night take taxis just to be safe... You do not want to attempt to walk anywhere from Doubletree either, day or night - There are several major construction projects between your hotel and Bayside, as well as many homeless who live under the I-395 overpasses.

I have read many posts talking about the safety of the downtown Miami hotel area. The posts seem a little confusing to me. Is it the fact that their is construction in the area that makes it unsafe or is it a high crime area? I will be staying at the Hyatt in December before my VOS cruise so I have a vested interest in this post as I will most likely go over to Bayside.

The massive construction projects throughout the downtown area make it rather unsafe to walk around as many sidewalks are closed... There is also somewhat of a "criminal element" in the area at night, that's why it's best to take taxis at night. The hotels themselves are all perfectly safe. It's safe to walk across to Bayside from the Intercontinental, or Holiday Inn, but from any other downtown hotel it's safest to take a taxi. It's less than 5 minutes from the Hyatt to Bayside, very inexpensive, so why take a chance.

Thankyou TrentS and others for participating in this thread. I too have heard that it is dangerous to walk the Doubletree Grand area at night. I was a bit disappointed when RCCL told me that they had not got the contract renewed for 3 night stays at Hyatt regency after I had booked with them and chose the Hyatt for our post cruise stay. Anyway if it is safer to take Taxi's that is what we will do. After all after the expense of coming over from Scotland and paying for a cruise another few bucks for taxi's will be cheap at the price of safety. Hopefully we will be able to bus or Metromover thro' day and taxi's at night. As long as Doubletree Grand Hotel is nice I am sure we will have a nice ending to our vacation. By the way my wife will not let me hire a car as she does not want me to have the stress of driving. Any other advice re transportation will be very gratefully received.

Well if you're not renting a car, then taxis would be your best bet for Bayside, and to and from South Beach (highly recommended and just 10 minutes across the causeway). I don't recommend the local bus system.

and a lot more comfortable. Thanks again for your advice. As I won't be going till April it gives me plenty of time to save up the cost of the Taxi fares.

Take care and I will post a report to you when I return from your shores.

Thank you so much cruisigator 2. Really good or you to post your photos. I will get a lot of satisfaction looking at these over the winter months. Had a quick look through the Navigater ones. This was our origonal choice of ship for next year but we settled for Explorer because of the dates of cruises to suit us. I hope the pictures of the bridges and ships were from your hotel balcony I also hope we have similar views from the Double tree as when we were told by RCCL that our hotel was changed to the D/tree the views consoled me of my disapointment at not getting the Hyatt. It is now twelve past midnight here in Scotland so I will just have to go to bed and dream.

Thanks again

Thank you so much cruisigator 2. Really good or you to post your photos. I will get a lot of satisfaction looking at these over the winter months. Had a quick look through the Navigater ones. This was our origonal choice of ship for next year but we settled for Explorer because of the dates of cruises to suit us. I hope the pictures of the bridges and ships were from your hotel balcony I also hope we have similar views from the Double tree as when we were told by RCCL that our hotel was changed to the D/tree the views consoled me of my disapointment at not getting the Hyatt. It is now twelve past midnight here in Scotland so I will just have to go to bed and dream.

Thanks again

Glad that you enjoyed the photos. I plan to take more this December when I am on for a return cruise. She is one great ship but I know that you will enjoy the Explorer also.

The photos were taken from the Marriott Biscayne Bay. IMHO this is one of the best hotels for a pre cruise stay. The Doubletree should have a nice view but with the Doubletree being a hotel/residence type building, the hotel rooms are on the lower floors. Ask the clerk at check in to give you a room overlooking the port and high up as possible. Have a great cruise.

Broch - Gator has some great pics, but if you want some specific to Explorer try this site. It has links to many people's photo albums, as well as menus and Cruise Compasses (daily onboard program)... http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/exploreroftheseas.htm

There are enough to keep you busy for a long time. Explorer is a great ship, you'll have a great time! :)

We rode the metro mover during the afternoon and DID NOT feel safe. I can only imagine how bad it is at night. Proceed with caution! Many undesirables on the MM even in the afternoon. Won't even consider riding the MM next time. And our government (local) wants to build mass transit - who would ride it with the many many undesireables out there who would rob you in a heartbeat for a buck.

We flew into West Palm Beach in February. We caught a cab to the closest train station. We took it into Miami. Then we walked about a block or two. Got on the metro mover around 8 or 9 in the evening. When we got on there were some street people on it. My friend thought that one of them was the operator. We, very soon, realized it was totally automated :cool: . It was very futuristic to us and a little scary. We asked one of the people how to get to the Holiday Inn. They told us what stop to get off at. We were very leary but, there was 3 of us. We ended up walking 3 or 4 blocks to get there. When we arrived at the HI and went to check in it was around 10 or 11. The man behind the desk said " I'm sorry but, everyone that can check you in have gone home":eek: . I just about had a cow but, realized he was just joking. Although it took a couple of minutes to figure it out:confused: . We had gone accross the street to find some food. Everything was either closed or closing. So we went back to our room and ordered from a delivery/ take out flyer that we got from the desk. I and one friend both got philly cheesesteaks and the other a pizza. It was huge and I could not eat it all. The next morning I got up and left the room. I didn't want to wake my friends. I went out front to smoke and walked up and down the street a little. I saw a couple of homeless people sleeping in a doorway just a little ways from the front door of the HI. I decided that I was not going to finish my sandwich. I took it and gave it to one of the homeless people. I woke him up and asked if he would like it. Told him God Bless and walked away.

I decided long ago that I'm not living my life in fear. I agree with the previous posters that it is a little dangerous at night. As far as the homeless person, he was a human being too and I treated him as such;) .

I agree with the above- not at night.

Best bet: book a downtown hotel and walk or take a cab.

Easy walk from the Holiday Inn or Intercontinental. Maybe a cab for five bucks from the Hyatt and others.

The port is just minutes away from downtown and the ride at street level is fun.

Thanks everyone for your very constructive and informative comments. You are quite right TrentS, between yours and cruisingator 2's web links I will need another vacation to check them out, something to do in the long Scottish winter nights ahead. They certainly give you an appetite. By the way my wife and I may try the Metromover once in the mid morning just for the experience.

Archived