Internet/Texting Help.

renech

First of all, I have searched and read several threads about this but for some reason my brain is extra DENSE this morning and it's just not sinking in! :o

I'm cruising with friend soon who wants full texting ability to keep in touch with her daughter. We all have iPhones and AT&T. It's only a 4 day cruise, and I have a D+ discount which I've read gives me a free day or a 25% pkg discount.

My question is, what is the best strategy? Get the $60 cruise pkg from AT&T, OR, get the free day and/or pkg on the ship? Am I reading it correctly that without the ATT pkg, she will pay .50 per outgoing text doing it that way?

We will be on the Indy, with one port stop in Cozumel. I read that ATT has free Mexico coverage, which I assume I will have to call and have added.

Thanks for any input. :)

First of all, I have searched and read several threads about this but for some reason my brain is extra DENSE this morning and it's just not sinking in! :o

I'm cruising with friend soon who wants full texting ability to keep in touch with her daughter. We all have iPhones and AT&T. It's only a 4 day cruise, and I have a D+ discount which I've read gives me a free day or a 25% pkg discount.

My question is, what is the best strategy? Get the $60 cruise pkg from AT&T, OR, get the free day and/or pkg on the ship? Am I reading it correctly that without the ATT pkg, she will pay .50 per outgoing text doing it that way?

We will be on the Indy, with one port stop in Cozumel. I read that ATT has free Mexico coverage, which I assume I will have to call and have added.

Thanks for any input. :)

with ATT all texts to you are FREE. You can get a cheap phone plan with ATT which gives you ? number of texts, and any text over that limit is 50 cents each. Thats pure text with no pictures. You have to call ATT and ask for the ship plan...take the minimal amount of time, which is like 50 min talk and some texting...if you can just pay 50cents per text. If you feel your internet time will cover you, just make sure to have your data turned off and have phone in airplane mode only...then just turn WIFI only on. Hope this helps.

Have your friend estimate how many texts she will send. Without any packages or WiFi, she can send texts for $0.50 each. No charge to receive texts. She may find that paying by the text is less expensive than buying a package.

Note that these texts for $0.50 each are SMS, simple text only. No photos, no videos, no group texts.

with ATT all texts to you are FREE. You can get a cheap phone plan with ATT which gives you ? number of texts, and any text over that limit is 50 cents each. Thats pure text with no pictures. You have to call ATT and ask for the ship plan...take the minimal amount of time, which is like 50 min talk and some texting...if you can just pay 50cents per text. If you feel your internet time will cover you, just make sure to have your data turned off and have phone in airplane mode only...then just turn WIFI only on. Hope this helps.

The minimum ATT pkg what includes 100 texts is $60, but that also includes voice, which she doesn't really need. I'll have to price the on-board pkgs. Thank you for the information. :)

Have your friend estimate how many texts she will send. Without any packages or WiFi, she can send texts for $0.50 each. No charge to receive texts. She may find that paying by the text is less expensive than buying a package.

Note that these texts for $0.50 each are SMS, simple text only. No photos, no videos, no group texts.

So, maybe getting a ship pkg or free day, and then just having her pay as she goes beyond that is the way to go?

Thank you.

... So, maybe getting a ship pkg or free day, and then just having her pay as she goes beyond that is the way to go?

Thank you.

No, I'm suggesting no packages at all, and she just pays per text. Unless you think there will be more than 40 texts per day sent from the ship, then she needs to look at a package.

No, I'm suggesting no packages at all, and she just pays per text. Unless you think there will be more than 40 texts per day sent from the ship, then she needs to look at a package.

Okay, here's where my dense brain is coming into play again.:p

I will likely get a pkg for myself anyway and use my D+ discount. Is there still a per text cost for her if she's using my pkg with her device (or I get the 2 device option)? I guess I'm not understanding if the ship wifi connection enables free texting or not.

Okay, here's where my dense brain is coming into play again.:p

I will likely get a pkg for myself anyway and use my D+ discount. Is there still a per text cost for her if she's using my pkg with her device (or I get the 2 device option)? I guess I'm not understanding if the ship wifi connection enables free texting or not.

I didn't want to get into WiFi texting as it complicates the explanation.

However, if you friend and whoever she wants to text can use internet based texting, such as iMessage or WhatsApp, then she can use your WiFi package with no charges from her cell carrier. She will have to coordinate with everyone she wants to text that she will be using internet based texting.

So if she is only using WiFi, has her phone in Airplane mode, and someone sends her an SMS (cellular) text, she won't get it.

Confusing, isn't it.

Edited by clarea

AT&T gives you voice and texting free in Mexico, not sure about DATA , I added the Mexico package online. You can text onboard underway using wifi of messenger (FaceBook messenger). Standard international is $1 a minute if you go somewhere else.

I've never used the cruise line package because of cost, but when we went to Europe I did the 30 day international package for $30 that gives you texting and cheaper voice with a small data allowance.

AT&T gives you voice and texting free in Mexico, not sure about DATA , I added the Mexico package online. You can text onboard underway using wifi of messenger (FaceBook messenger). Standard international is $1 a minute if you go somewhere else.

I've never used the cruise line package because of cost, but when we went to Europe I did the 30 day international package for $30 that gives you texting and cheaper voice with a small data allowance.

The Mexico roaming bonus includes 1gb of data.

If texting is all that is needed, cheaper to pay per text than get the cruise ship plan. The $60 plan includes 100 texts. For $60, you could send 120 texts at $0.50 per.

I didn't want to get into WiFi texting as it complicates the explanation.

However, if you friend and whoever she wants to text can use internet based texting, such as iMessage or WhatsApp, then she can use your WiFi package with no charges from her cell carrier. She will have to coordinate with everyone she wants to text that she will be using internet based texting.

So if she is only using WiFi, has her phone in Airplane mode, and someone sends her an SMS (cellular) text, she won't get it.

Confusing, isn't it.

Since we all have iPhones then we can just use wifi for iMessaging. That's exactly what I needed confirmed. Thank you for always being so helpful (to everyone!).

We used the International plan in Europe too. Worked out great.

If texting is all that is needed, cheaper to pay per text than get the cruise ship plan. The $60 plan includes 100 texts. For $60, you could send 120 texts at $0.50 per.

I agree. But since I have a discount anyway and I do want some accessibility for myself, I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the discount pkg and just split it with her. She can text when she wants and I can just kick her off and use it when I need it. As slow as it usually is, it seems like a pkg is the way to go, for data at least.

Thank you to everyone for the help!

I agree. But since I have a discount anyway and I do want some accessibility for myself, I'm thinking it might be worth it to get the discount pkg and just split it with her. She can text when she wants and I can just kick her off and use it when I need it. As slow as it usually is, it seems like a pkg is the way to go, for data at least.

Thank you to everyone for the help!

You're welcome, and I agree, if you want to use data at all, then get a WiFi package from the ship. Also put the phones in Airplane mode (and turn WiFi back on), just to be sure there are no cellular charges.

You're welcome, and I agree, if you want to use data at all, then get a WiFi package from the ship. Also put the phones in Airplane mode (and turn WiFi back on), just to be sure there are no cellular charges.

Plus, if you have an iPhone and wifi calling enabled, you may be able to text and call over wifi with no additional charges.

Hello Bob,(Clarea)

I know you've been over this a thousand times, but I would appreciate it if you can help me here. We are going on the Anthem in June. I saw you post about a plan for $7.95 (total I think) for texting only. How many texts does that give you? I have Verizon, do I need anything else with that? Also, if I go with paying per text, do I need anything more? I appreciate any help you can give me, as I find your info and responses very useful. Thanks,

Marylou

Hello Bob,(Clarea)

I know you've been over this a thousand times, but I would appreciate it if you can help me here. We are going on the Anthem in June. I saw you post about a plan for $7.95 (total I think) for texting only. How many texts does that give you? I have Verizon, do I need anything else with that? Also, if I go with paying per text, do I need anything more? I appreciate any help you can give me, as I find your info and responses very useful. Thanks,

Marylou

The $7.95 deal is if you are an Quantum class and use Royal's app called RoyalIQ. Unlimited texting to other devices running the RoyalIQ app on the same ship.

Hello Bob,(Clarea)

Marylou

Anthem has 'Fast Interneat'...and I mean really fast. Once your connected to the ships WIFI you can Facetime or use WhatsApp to communicate with home. Streaming also worked great on the ship.

Also, make sure to turn off all automatic app updates. Those can suck up a bunch of data on your WiFi plan.

I have read mixed things about wifi calling on ships without Voom. Anyone know if it is usable on Indy?

Both the wife (iPone6) and I (Droid Turbo) could not complete a call using WIFI on Indy last year.