Souvenirs for children

We will be on the Freedom in about 20 days and we were wondering what to expect in the way of souvenirs that our children (3 and 6) might want?

We've learned through other travels to pre-purchase some trinket type toys here at home and just take em with us to save $$ and time.....

Suggestions/thoughts?

If they are going to the Kids program they will get some souvenirs there I think. Our kids got a bandana from the kids pirate parade, pillowcases and octopus keychain. These were all at the night program. This was also on FOS in 2014. They were happy with those things. Our kids were ages 3,5,7.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

We will be on the Freedom in about 20 days and we were wondering what to expect in the way of souvenirs that our children (3 and 6) might want?

We've learned through other travels to pre-purchase some trinket type toys here at home and just take em with us to save $$ and time.....

Suggestions/thoughts?

Girls? Boys? Girls would probably love some of the jewlery that they sell, magnetic layer bracelets are popular. We found a handmade doll for our daughter, but that was 15 years ago and real handmade dolls are hard to find. There are lots of carved things that boys might like, cars, animals etc. And of course there are always cheap tshirts everywhere. There are also shells star fish etc everywhere.

Do you really buy things at home then bring them along as if you bought them on vacation? Never heard of doing that. :)

Girls? Boys? Girls would probably love some of the jewlery that they sell, magnetic layer bracelets are popular. We found a handmade doll for our daughter, but that was 15 years ago and real handmade dolls are hard to find. There are lots of carved things that boys might like, cars, animals etc. And of course there are always cheap tshirts everywhere. There are also shells star fish etc everywhere.

Do you really buy things at home then bring them along as if you bought them on vacation? Never heard of doing that. :)

We do! We learned the hard way last year when our son wanted a car that would have be 1.99 at wal-mart, but at the souvenir shop was $6! Its vacation and I hate to tell them 'no' on vacation-they hear it enough at home- but with three boys, it adds up quickly!

If they are going to the Kids program they will get some souvenirs there I think. Our kids got a bandana from the kids pirate parade, pillowcases and octopus keychain. These were all at the night program. This was also on FOS in 2014. They were happy with those things. Our kids were ages 3,5,7.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, can you elaborate on the pillowcase take-homes at the night program? Did the kids sleep there until you came and picked them up at 10pm-1am?

Thanks, and sorry about your Canucks this year. You're welcome aboard the Red Wings bandwagon.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, can you elaborate on the pillowcase take-homes at the night program? Did the kids sleep there until you came and picked them up at 10pm-1am?

Thanks, and sorry about your Canucks this year. You're welcome aboard the Red Wings bandwagon.

The redwings barely snuck in!!! Go Stars!!

Your Canucks comment tempted me not to answer you question lol.

No it was at the 7-10 PM program that they got their freebees. A different one each night. One night was design your own pillowcases activity. Another night was a certificate for completing kung fu academy. The key chain was off a small octopus stuffy. There was the bandana for the late parade night. My 7 year old did the late night after 10 program one night and won a full size stuffy worth $40 at the gift shop. So no need to really but more souvenirs.

Don't buy the RCL Construction Toy in the gift shop.This is a lego block type toy that assembles into a ship. Bought two of them at fifteen dollars a piece and both were defective. After sending in pictures and a receipt and an explanation of what was wrong, RCL did send me a refund. Over the years we have bought many other types of toys in the gift shop for our grandkids and all were fine.

Don't buy the RCL Construction Toy in the gift shop.This is a lego block type toy that assembles into a ship.

I bought one back in November on Enchantment. I literally had to use a hammer to "coax" some of the pieces into fitting together :rolleyes: I eventually did manage to get it assembled, though. :cool:

I also would not recommend buying this toy. It's so bad, it's worse than Mega Bloks ;) (die-hard LEGO fan here :D)

We do! We learned the hard way last year when our son wanted a car that would have be 1.99 at wal-mart, but at the souvenir shop was $6! Its vacation and I hate to tell them 'no' on vacation-they hear it enough at home- but with three boys, it adds up quickly!

I understand your pain, Here is what we started long ago on our 1st family trip (to Disney). At the time our 2 boys were 5 and 10 (yours might be a little young for this go around):

we gave them a set budget, and these rules: For each park we visited we assured them we would pay for their meals, and in addition they each received $XX.xx for each park we visited. they could spend it all at once or none at all but once it's was gone it's gone and no asking for more.

It worked so well on that trip we did the same thing even for small trips to the zoo etc...they quickly learned not to buy that "6.00 car" because they may see something later in the day they wanted more.

most times they brought most of this spending money home with them, which was ok with us also.

On our 1st cruise with them (they were 17 and 12) we gave them each a little cash on their sea pass card and a little cash for the ports, but the same rules.

I know this didn't answer your question, but might be better then trying to guess what next thing they will "have to Have" but whatever you do Enjoy your cruise!

MNice

FOS '12

They had lots of stuffies such as sharks and bears and things with RCI logo. Our niece is happy with her stuffed mermaid. The boys did less well - neat looking plastic ship play sets were cheaply made and did not hold up well. We opt for bringing souvenirs and toys from home and buying them t-shirts on the ship. They always have a t-shirt sale during the cruise.

When our kids were young, we had something called the "Trip Fairy." The Trip Fairy would leave a present for them somewhere each day of a vacation - such as in the car in the mornings when on a road trip to motivate them to get back in the car, or on their pillow on cruises.

I'd buy stuff inexpensively at Walmart or toy stores before the trip -- such as Little Mermaid dolls, kid costume jewlery for formal night on the cruise, toy boats for pool/ocean day, stuffed sharks, etc. The kids didn't label these things as souvenirs - they were just thrilled with presents. When they got older, the Trip Fairy would bring things like Gaming Magazines, kid cameras, new sunglasses, lip gloss, and other relatively inexpensive surprises each day.

Funny - we had a graduation trip when last 2 kids graduated from grad school and college, and they asked if the Trip Fairy was coming with us.

As souvenirs of special trips though, I did buy some special items such as a string of pink pearls in Hawaii and gold nugget earrings from Alaska for my daughter, and good quality watches for my sons. They know that those items were special souvenirs now that they're older, even though they were happier with the Trip Fairy stuff when they were young.

We also did something that few others might consider, but I'll share just in case! On our cruises over the years, we'd buy good quality one-carat loose diamonds in the Caribbean (no sales tax). We'd pay each one off over the following year or two, and then on the next cruise we'd pick up another diamond. We put them away for our kids. I've had them appraised recently, since the first two kids are getting engaged this year. The certified ones picked up the most value, but the diamonds we purchased for around $3,000 when our kids were young are now appraised at substantially more (for ex., one appraised at $12K). Each kid is being given a diamond, to use or trade in as desired, as an engagement present from Mom & Dad -- and a memory of all of our family cruises when their Dad was aiive.

If you are cruising in the Caribbean, we found several islands that had musical instruments such as flutes, bongos, maracas. Each instrument had the island name painted on it. My kids were 3 & 5 at the time and still play with these and that was 5 years ago. Another suggestion is to buy a photo album to put their pictures with the DreamWorks characters. On our last cruise, I made a photo book on Shutterfly for each kid when we returned.

The kids club is great. My kids cannot wait to go each night. They enjoy time away from parents and meeting new friends. We have beach towels, tiny stuffed animals, pirate bandanas, pillow cases all from the kids club. Also one of kids has a crown from winning a dance contest.

I think one big thing I have learned from CC is that there are different ways to do things as supposed to right and wrong ways. What works for one person/family does not work for others. We all have things we value more than other things. Some like big rooms, some the most affordable room. Others will buy the on board toys for their kids, others won't.

For us, we find then a small amount to spend when on vacation but once they use it, it is done. That way they do asking to have everything but need to see if they have enough money to buy things. One of my kids saves it for bigger things while my other one loves to buy lots of small things. We try telling them that the trip is the "present" and that they don't need a present. But we all know that doesn't always work well. Even our 4 year old is becoming very good at remembering how much money he has left to buy his own "presents"

Don't know what islands you are sailing to but often you can find dollar trinkets that appeal to kids. One trinket per island is exciting to them and you won't spend over $5 per child! When our son was young, we started him out on one wooden carved item. About 20 years later he has quite a collection that he wouldn't trade for the world due to each memory . The dollar trinkets are often pencils with toppers, carved shells into animals, maracas, whistles, and bracelets for boys and girls. Let the hunt begin!!

We were on the Freedom a couple of weeks ago. On one of the long port days where the ship departed in the early evening -- Cozumel, if I recall correctly -- the night activity was relatively low key. It was simply "movie night." The kids were all given pillow cases with a decorative design on it that could be colored with markers. Then, at 8 pm, the children were given a list of movies to watch and they selected what they wanted to see by raising their hands. In our son's case, they offered a Shrek movie, a Madagascar movie and The Lego Movie. The kids chose the Lego movie. There were mats on the floor for the kids to watch. Kids were encouraged to show up wearing their pajamas. But, from what I saw, not many kids did. In retrospect, movie night was the perfect activity after several port days in a row.

Our six year old son never stayed past 9 pm, so I can't speak as to what happens between 10 pm and 1 am.

Movie night was one of the few key events that took place during the cruise before 10 pm. Most nights, when we picked up our son the kids were engaged in some high energy activity -- from dodge ball to something called "gaga ball" -- and we practically had to drag him out of there.

Edited by elephant98

There will be plenty of free trinkets from the kids club.

I usually give my kids $10 or $20 US for spending in port for them to select a trinket(s) of their own. My daughter collects key chains from each port we visit. My son will look for some unique wood carving. My son will also not hesitate to bring the money home and put it in his piggy bank :D

No comments needed on the Leafs. I heard an announcer say on Saturday "if they loose this game, they will have CLINCHED last place". Y'all are jealous. I know. :D

Suggestions/thoughts?

Although we had two boys, we never got into the habit of buying souvenirs at every trip. As one poster said, with 3 kids, it adds up. Since we never bought, they never really asked. When they got older, they had their own money, and were really good at figuring out that things were expensive, and therefore, it was better to buy things at home, instead. Those values still stick with them today, as adults. Also, at that age, why take them into a ship store to see things they want? What they don't see they don't know.

I missed all these earlier responses because (and this is 100% true) I was buying Red Wings playoff tickets at 3pm EST on Saturday. Backed in? Nah, we had 'em right where we wanted them the whole time!

But on topic, a low key movie before "bedtime" would be fine with me. I love the $8/hour price on the 10pm-1am window, but would hope they'd have the youngest kids practically asleep towards the beginning of that window. We're anticipating taking our three year old to the kids club right after dinner each night (possibly using the My Family Dining option once or twice). If he's going to be up until midnight or later because of all the stimulation, that may not work though. Hopefully the mats and pajamas are to encourage the youngest ones to actually fall asleep!

Only on one night did my then 7 year old stay for the extra paid after 10 pm time. Most nights we picked them up at 9/10 after our show then took them for night snacks or room service. By the time they are washed up for bed it is past 11 and they are read for bed themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only on one night did my then 7 year old stay for the extra paid after 10 pm time. Most nights we picked them up at 9/10 after our show then took them for night snacks or room service. By the time they are washed up for bed it is past 11 and they are read for bed themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you do the early/family seating for supper?