Opinions on my possible cruse choices

hschlink

Hi everyone,

I’ve been staring at these two cruises for the past month and I’m having a hard time deciding one which is the best. I’ll be cruising with my husband and 11 year old twins, flying from Minneapolis. These two cruises happen to work the best with their school schedule and they won’t break the bank. Because this will be the kids’ first cruise I’m really planning it for them. I’d like them to have plenty to do when at sea so I can relax as well. Thoughts?

Carnival Breeze out of Galveston TX (April 2017)

Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Notes: I’ve heard that flying into Houston and getting to the port of Galveston can be a pain and expensive.

Carnival Splendor out of Miami FL (April 2017)

Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Notes: I realize there isn’t a waterworks on this ship BUT it does go to one extra island so that’s one less day at sea.

Thanks!! :cool:

The Breeze is a new larger ship, with more activities for the kids. I think whichever you choose, the kids will be amazed and have a great time!

Flying into Houston certainly can't be any worse than flying into Miami in my opinion. Both very busy airports.

Edited by Florings

I like the itinerary better for the Splendor but love sailing on the Breeze. We have never sailed on Splendor but have done both Valor and Glory multiple times. They aren't the same class but very close in size.

For me it would be a Breezy decision to make...

Hi everyone,

I’ve been staring at these two cruises for the past month and I’m having a hard time deciding one which is the best. I’ll be cruising with my husband and 11 year old twins, flying from Minneapolis. These two cruises happen to work the best with their school schedule and they won’t break the bank. Because this will be the kids’ first cruise I’m really planning it for them. I’d like them to have plenty to do when at sea so I can relax as well. Thoughts?

Notes: I’ve heard that flying into Houston and getting to the port of Galveston can be a pain and expensive.

Notes: I realize there isn’t a waterworks on this ship BUT it does go to one extra island so that’s one less day at sea.

My vote is for the Breeze, newer ship with many kid friendly activities. The Breeze's ports also have great beaches for your kids. The Splendor has the extra port, but it's Amber Cove, so what will your kids do there? Grand Turk is the nicest thing I can say about the Splendor's itinerary.

Perhaps you can fly into Hobby as it's a bit closer to the Galveston port?

I think you've got it figured out about right. Breeze is the better ship, but Galveston isn't as desirable a port to start from as Miami. The slightly lower price of the Breeze might off-set the extra costs of a transfer from Houston though.

Passengers on the Splendor would likely be a higher percentage of east coast people while Galveston would probably be a higher percentage of Texans and Oklahomans, if you prefer one group's company over the other.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

I never cruise out of Miami because prices are a lot higher than other places when you consider all things like checked luggage and hotel costs before the cruise. Southwest doesn't fly there so bag charges really add up for us and hotels are $200+ from what I remember. For that reason alone, I would go to Houston.

Ok' so. I'm going to be different and say the splendor. I have four kids, our first cruise was on the liberty and they were 9, 11, 12 and 15. If this is their first cruise, I wouldn't start out in the Breeze. It will all be new enough to them on the splendor and that itinerary is better in my opinion. They would probably love the forts in San Juan. We gave sailed the liberty twice with them as well as the glory. Now, the gave seen the Breeze and want to go on it but have been happy with the ships and itineraries we've chosen. My fear is "setting the bar" too high by going on a ship like. The breeze and in the future, them only being satisfied with a large waterworks area. Don't miss what you don't know lol

Houston Intercontinental is 71 miles away from the port of Galveston, so it is indeed considerably farther away. You can always fly into Houston Hobby which will cut your drive time in half, but the main drawback is that it's a smaller airport mainly served by Southwest which means limited service and sometimes funky connections. Other airlines serve HOU as well but I don't think there are nonstop from MSP to HOU so you may have to connect somewhere.

Ship wise, Breeze is better but the itinerary is mediocre. Montego Bay is not where I would take children. Venturing out on your own is not recommended. There's not as much to do in the vicinity of Montego Bay as in the vicinity of Ocho Rios where other Carnival ships traditionally dock. For example, if you want to go to Dunn River Falls from Montego Bay, you're looking at a 2 hour drive each way.

The Splendor's itinerary is fantastic, and this is one case where the itinerary and convenience would easily outweigh the ship, unless they are planning on spending 7 days entertained by a water park. All the ports on the Splendor's itinerary are excellent and overall, I think that the Splendor will provide a more varied and well rounded cruise experience.

Edited by Tapi

Flying into Houston certainly can't be any worse than flying into Miami in my opinion. Both very busy airports.

How busy the two airports are is irrelevant. HOU to/from Port of Galveston takes a bit over an hour while MIA is 15 minutes and FLL is 25 minutes to/from Port of Miami.

I never cruise out of Miami because prices are a lot higher than other places when you consider all things like checked luggage and hotel costs before the cruise. Southwest doesn't fly there so bag charges really add up for us and hotels are $200+ from what I remember. For that reason alone, I would go to Houston.

First off, Southwest flies into Ft. Lauderdale, which is closer to the port of Miami than the Houston airports are to Galveston, and Carnival has transfers. So, don't let that be an issue.

The Splendor does have a water slide, but it is not as big as the one on the Breeze.

We have spent 56 days on the Splendor and 27 days on the Breeze. We really like both ships. The Splendor is a bit older, but it was build in 2008, as the last ship before the Dream class. So, it may be older then the Breeze, but there are only 3 ships newer in the Carnival fleet.

Finally, we cruise for the destinations, not the ship. So, since either ship is well worth consideration, look at the ports and decide for yourself. John

Ok' so. I'm going to be different and say the splendor. I have four kids, our first cruise was on the liberty and they were 9, 11, 12 and 15. If this is their first cruise, I wouldn't start out in the Breeze. It will all be new enough to them on the splendor and that itinerary is better in my opinion. They would probably love the forts in San Juan. We gave sailed the liberty twice with them as well as the glory. Now, the gave seen the Breeze and want to go on it but have been happy with the ships and itineraries we've chosen. My fear is "setting the bar" too high by going on a ship like. The breeze and in the future, them only being satisfied with a large waterworks area. Don't miss what you don't know lol

I agree. This makes perfect sense.

I would pick Breeze also if I had kids going. If your kids are not very active then the Splendor. Nothing worse than going on vacation, spending a lot of money and have a child tell you they are bored.

Hi everyone,

Not even considering having been stuck in the port in Galveston because of an oil spill, we much prefer the Eastern itineraries over Western, as do our children.

At Amber Cove there is s huge pool area to enjoy once you are done with your excursion. Likewise Grand Turk--once you take a tour and see the beautiful beaches around the island you can spend the remainder of your day at the pool area at the port.

Sailing into San Juan is amazing and there is so much to see and do from historic tours to the rain forest.

St. Thomas is one of our favorites with beaches, shopping, Coral World, and the ferry to St. John to name a few things to do..

Definitely the Breeze as those twins will love it! I started my kids out on the Magic, and while they had a BLAST, I'm afraid they will be now disappointed with anything less than "the huge ship". :rolleyes::) They still talk about that vacation are super excited to be going on the Dream (sister ship) this fall.

I wouldn't pick a ship with only the kids in mind. I would plan a trip that I thought the whole family would enjoy. Maybe if the whole family looked online at pics and descriptions of both the ships and the ports, you would all come to the same conclusion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app