Interesting question regarding Cheers

mdaddy

I am cruising out of NOLA on 4/30, and I pre-ordered a bottle of vodka and OJ along with a 12 pack of water and a $75 cruise cash to be added to my sail and sign. A buddy of mine pre-bought the cheers program for he and his wife on the same cruise. He called today to pre-order Crown for his room, and they wouldn't sell it to him because he has Cheers. Does this sound right? The rep told him that if he ordered the liquor to his room, then bought Cheers on the boat, they would make you bring the liquor to them to be returned on the final day of the cruise. I plan on buying Cheers when I board (I can't buy it yet, because my wife is gonna be a no-show to be with her ill mother). I understand that I won't be able to purchase Cheers until after sail away to verify that my wife isn't coming, but are they really gonna try to get me to bring my $80 vodka to them? I'll simply tell them that me and my party (we are in a pretty big group of about 20) already drank it all prior to sail away, but I hate being put in a situation to lie to them. I'm already being dishonest by not canceling my wife (I'm just gonna tell them at check in that she's not coming).

You are not being dishonest at all, you paid for your wife so they have your money. If she shows or not, it is not a big deal to Carnival.

I have not heard about pre ordering liquor and buying a Cheers package before. I would imagine it is because there is a 15 drink limit and having your own alcohol might violate their policy. As you said, how would they know you did not take the bottle and knock on every cabin door on your deck to give everyone a welcome aboard shot. I am interested in the experiences of others who have tried to buy both.

I hope that isn't the case, my party has Cheers for all of us in our 3 rooms this week and all rooms ordered a bottle of something for the room.

These purchases have you agree that it will be consumed in the room. Hopefully they wouldn't have allowed us to purchase this and then not let us have it.

I hope that isn't the case, my party has Cheers for all of us in our 3 rooms this week and all rooms ordered a bottle of something for the room.

These purchases have you agree that it will be consumed in the room. Hopefully they wouldn't have allowed us to purchase this and then not let us have it.

Amen. That is exactly what I was thinking (and hoping).

Just to be clear, I'm just going by what my friend was told today. I've never had Cheers or ordered alcohol to my room, so I'm not sure. I was just a little floored when he called me earlier telling me this. Hopefully the rep was wrong.

I did some forum searching and others have had Cheers and ordered a bottle from Bonvoyage with no issues. I'll report back with our experience but feel hopeful with what I read from others. We didn't call anyone to order but did it online, and after already prepurchasing Cheers online.

I am cruising out of NOLA on 4/30, and I pre-ordered a bottle of vodka and OJ along with a 12 pack of water and a $75 cruise cash to be added to my sail and sign. A buddy of mine pre-bought the cheers program for he and his wife on the same cruise. He called today to pre-order Crown for his room, and they wouldn't sell it to him because he has Cheers. Does this sound right? The rep told him that if he ordered the liquor to his room, then bought Cheers on the boat, they would make you bring the liquor to them to be returned on the final day of the cruise. I plan on buying Cheers when I board (I can't buy it yet, because my wife is gonna be a no-show to be with her ill mother). I understand that I won't be able to purchase Cheers until after sail away to verify that my wife isn't coming, but are they really gonna try to get me to bring my $80 vodka to them? I'll simply tell them that me and my party (we are in a pretty big group of about 20) already drank it all prior to sail away, but I hate being put in a situation to lie to them. I'm already being dishonest by not canceling my wife (I'm just gonna tell them at check in that she's not coming).

It makes sence from the standpoint that they got your friend to buy the more expensive Cheers program than from Bon Voyage.

But if they though that they were going to take my liquor and treat it as a liquor store purchase, they had better refund the difference of the triple Bon Voyage price to the discounted duty free gift shop price.

I did some forum searching and others have had Cheers and ordered a bottle from Bonvoyage with no issues. I'll report back with our experience but feel hopeful with what I read from others. We didn't call anyone to order but did it online, and after already prepurchasing Cheers online.

Please do, also planning to purchase Cheers but would like something in cabin for relaxing on the balcony.

I find it hard to believe that they would actually come to your room and ask for the bottle you pre-purchased. That just doesn't make sense and would definitely piss some folks off. (Also think we would have heard if something like that had happened before.)

To the OP - I would tell your friend to try and order the bottle online and see if it will go through. Sounds like the rep is wrong. Otherwise, how would bjd2 be able to pre-purchase cheers and then also buy a bottle online through the Fun Shops? If it was true, then he would have been stopped before the purchase was finalized.

Also, if you pre-purchased a bottle before the cruise, would they really know that at a bar where you are purchasing Cheers on the cruise?

ETA: And MCFTJCH2V is correct - there is no way they can get around the fact that you pay out of the nose for Bon Voyage vs. the liquor in the Fun Shops. There is just no way Carnival could justify charging you those prices for a bottle that was taken away.

Edited by TerReuv

I find it hard to believe that they would actually come to your room and ask for the bottle you pre-purchased. That just doesn't make sense and would definitely piss some folks off. (Also think we would have heard if something like that had happened before.)

To the OP - I would tell your friend to try and order the bottle online and see if it will go through. Sounds like the rep is wrong. Otherwise, how would bjd2 be able to pre-purchase cheers and then also buy a bottle online through the Fun Shops? If it was true, then he would have been stopped before the purchase was finalized.

Also, if you pre-purchased a bottle before the cruise, would they really know that at a bar where you are purchasing Cheers on the cruise?

ETA: And MCFTJCH2V is correct - there is no way they can get around the fact that you pay out of the nose for Bon Voyage vs. the liquor in the Fun Shops. There is just no way Carnival could justify charging you those prices for a bottle that was taken away.

The more I think about it (and read these comments), the more I agree. The rep had to be wrong. Believe me, I won't say anything when I purchase the Cheers package on the ship. All the pre-cruise worrying must be getting to me. LOL. Just get me on the ship already!!!!!

That rep is so wrong. I ordered bottles to my room last cruise and had cheers. And I even ordered beers on room service and they didn't count against my cheers package.

It didn't make sense that they wouldn't let you order a bottle and get cheers. It's good to have confirmation that others have been able to do it without problems.

I was planning on getting a bottle for the room through the fun shops and buy cheers, too. I certainly hope this isn't the case. If they don't let you do that, can you bring on a bottle of wine and buy cheers?

This is different than ordering from bon voyage. Liquor bought in the funshop is held till the end of the cruise.

This is different than ordering from bon voyage. Liquor bought in the funshop is held till the end of the cruise.

I meant ordering it online before your board....so I guess Bon Voyage. :confused: When I go to Carnival's website and click on "In Room Gifts and Shopping" it says "THE FUN SHOPS" in big bold letters so I thought that's what it's called.

FunShops.jpg.68fda0caacd14aa948a53210efbd3bea.jpg

If this TRULY was the policy why would they also offer you 25% off additional wine purchases, etc. with Cheers!? I think that the person on the phone was wrong. I called a few weeks ago to confirm I could purchase Cheers! and a Wine package and was told absolutely!

Happy Sailing!

Dawn