Pro's and Cons of My Time Dining?

twokids0204

I cant answer for the previous poster, but my group of 10 (6 kids) almost consistently took 2+ hours to eat. Never a wait to be seated, however. Slow service times was my major complaint of the YTD experience. I dont understand why a table of 10 should take longer than 2 tables of 5 in the same section.

One thing we talked about while waiting several minutes between courses or drink refills (with kids and 10 tops, the carafes go pretty quickly) was that they should separate the 2 dining rooms into two groups of diners. In one, enforce a dress code and spend 2 hours with a leisurely white cloth dinner. In the other, go with the resort casual and speed it up. We like the food and setting, but could have cut out the 45+ minutes of dead time each dinner.

As I have posted before, we may have gotten lucky as we are just a 2 top. I do however try to have the same servers, for no other reason than my husband eats so fast I can rarely finish my salad before he is ready for dessert. So, most of my meal is plated and covered and I can enjoy it later. I find it very difficult to get them to bring my food out 1st, since I am always behind. So, not having to repeat this over and over each night works out if we have the same servers. Fast or slow aside, I have always wanted prime rib and lobster TOGETHER, when it is offered. They serve me one and I can see the other sitting elsewhere. I have had to point to it and appear to be going to get it myself to get both at the same time. No biggy, I obviously am used to room temp food.:o

Your idea idea of 2 different sections seems valid. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, or be offended, as I don't know the ages of the 6 children you referred to, so this may not even apply to you. Just that I have noticed when we are dining, (land based, I can't remember even one cruise that I noticed children) Say that particular restaurant is super busy. The parent's let little Susie, or little Joey, order for themselves. The kids don't have a clue what they want and the ordering process seems to take forever. I feel sorry for the server as the parents complain how slow the service is, as others have been served ahead of them. That's because the other servers got the order in ahead, as they did not have to wait for the lengthy children's order. I'm showing my age as I am from an era that the parent's ordered and you simple eat what's in front of you. Again, this is not personal to you, but sure it fits someone. Main reason we don't like assigned dining is don't want to be on a schedule as to when we can eat. Happy Cruising to all of us!:)

You are wronger than wrong...................

There are two lines and someone at the beginning of the rope divider. When you show your Platinum or Diamond card, you are directed to the other side and directly to the desk.

Sorry you don't know that yet. :cool:

I just got off Imagination in January and it worked SWELL. We also asked for our favorite waiter and sat in his section each time.

Is this the case of every ship? I notice you are diamond so are you sure this is not just for diamond? I have never seen this listed as a platinum benefit. Heck, I could not even get a fixed early dining last cruise and platinum are supposed to get priority!

Have done YTD on 4 cruises for a total of 28 dinners. We had to wait about 5 minutes on one cruise on elegant night. Poor planning on our part. That was the longest wait we've ever had. The rest of the time it took no longer that waiting behind 3 or 4 groups and we were seated in 3-4 minutes from the time we got in line. I'd say those were pretty good wait times. The hosteses were taking people to their tables as fast as they could. We also ate at various times of the evening. We were usually seated in the same area although we did not request it.

The problem was the actual food. It's not so good any more as in the past. Each cruise we are disappointed in the quality of the food a little bit more.

YTD for us every time we can get it now. Our last cruise this past Feb. we were wait-listed for YTD. The day after I booked the cruise I got an e-mail from the Maitre D telling us we were guaranteed YTD. I think it was because we were in a Suite because we are not Platinum or Diamond.....yet.