Tender times Airlie Beach

April Jewel

We are on the Solstice in October and are trying to organise a trip to the Great Barrier Reef/Whitsundays.

Although our itinerary shows the ship docks at 8 am does anyone have any knowledge of what time the tenders might start and finish.

We are very wary of booking anything that won't be feasible to achieve in the timescales.

Anyone got any experience that might help us with this one.

Thanks

One of the problems with the tendering process is the variable sea conditions. When looking at independent excursions for Solstice earlier this year it became clear that many would not be feasible due to time constraints. The Cruise ship excursion tenders to the platforms go first and if the weather is bad they can only load on one side of the ship.

I've attached the Daily..... it states that independent excursions were due to depart around 930am. I believe they may have left earlier as we had calm waters and immigration clearance went quickly. I was ill that day and didn't make it off the ship.

As you have already been told - the schedule is not fixed. We have had tendering start at 8am for an 8am tender port and other times not begin until two hours later due to immigration, port officials and any other of hundreds of problems. Tendering can take as little as 90 minutes and sometimes over 3 hours for everyone - weather effects as noted above.

As for a return no good independent operator would schedule you to return to the port less than 60 minutes before departure. A flat tire causing your group to miss the ship - not good.

Now think just a bit about the variables with taking a boat an hour or so out to the reef. How many things can go wrong here including again the weather. If it is rough at all the boat goes slower and you would not want to be in the water - too dangerous. This is one if the ship offers a tour I would say great, but otherwise maybe not such a good idea.

Doesn't look like the file attached above.

Trying again.

Failed a few times.

If you go to my blog in the sig below towards the end there's a link to it there if you want to see it, post #1312 on p66

Edited by NorbertsNiece