Observations about Magic aft extended and wrap balconies

Jesse1179

I had a few questions regarding the Magic aft extended balconies, as well as some concerns after reading some things on here. I just want to clarify a few things for anyone who has the same questions/concerns:

First off, our room was Deck 6, room 6472. We were right next to the aft wrap. The aft wrap balcony was absolutely huge! I was jealous when I looked over!! Now as far as the balcony size of our room and the other room next to us, there was a considerable size difference. I'd read on here that the balcony next to the aft wrap was bigger, but talking to Carnival, they were all the same size. Not true. Our balcony had 2 chairs (one that lounged back) plus one long longe chair. Same on the aft extended next to us. I noticed that on our balcony, the chairs could all be positioned next to each other and not be in front of the balcony door. The room next to us looked more cluttered because the balcony was more narrow. It wasn't a deal breaker if I'd have booked it myself, but I was happy with that little extra room

Now these balconies were very long...you could easily position the long chair so you can lay out facing the water and it fit fine. This was a huge plus. However, we had a chance to visit an aft wrap on a higher deck (deck 9 I think) and to our surprise, the balcony was VERY narrow. It was so narrow that I'd the balcony door was open, you couldn't pass between the door and the balcony, you'd have to close the door, then you could pass through. Now that would have made me mad if I'd booked that room. I'm all for the privacy of a higher aft balcony room but I'd sacrifice it for a wider balcony on a lower deck.

One of my two main concerns was the movement of the ship. I get sea sick and so does my wife. We took our meds every day, and I'm happy to say we did not get sick once. I'm always worried about being sick on a cruise and this was a true surprise to me. I think the rocking helped me sleep in a couple of mornings as well too. A warning about deck 6 though...its above a nightclub so there was thumping from the music. Also, the thrusters vibrate quite a bit when the ship is maneuvering into port. Neither bothered me (although the thrusters woke me up when we docked in Honduras...kinda startled me), but if you are a light sleeper, it might be an issue.

The other main concern was room temperature. When I got in the room, I turned the thermostat to the coolest setting. We brought a small fan and kept it on the whole time on the desk. We also used an old sail and sign card so the lights and AC didn't shut off while we were out of the room, and our room steward never touched the thermostat, the fan or removed the card (thanks, Haru!). I have to say that the room stayed COLD!! A couple nights it was almost too cold for me, and I love sleeping in a cold room. We took the advice from Cruise Critic members and kept our balcony curtain closed most of the time, but even with the curtain left open a couple of times, the room remained comfortable even during the hottest part of the day. I can't speak for other rooms on our deck or other decks, but take my word for it, the room temperature was more than adequate.

That's all I got. If there is anything you'd like to know specifically, feel free to ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Side note: I was confused about whether or not there was a sofa, and I was happy to find there was a sofa in the room!!

I had 6476 back in November for a BDay cruise, so more to the middle. We had 2 chairs and a lounger on the balcony. The room seemed larger than the usual cabin, and it had a sofa as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the ship. I'll second your observation about hearing noise from deck 5, I was able to go to sleep, but people with better hearing or lighter sleepers might be bothered by it.

The only negative I could say about the balcony was that there was hardly any shade throughout the day and in any direction. It got hot out there being so exposed!

Edited by evandbob