What beauty products do you bring with you on a cruise? and how do you pack it?

rockster

I read a post here about separating makeup products by type and putting in ziploc bags, all eye products in one bag, all lip products in another bag, concealers foundations in one bag.. Thought that was a great idea.

I'm trying to determine how much makeup and toiletries to bring since whenever I travel I end up bringing too much, or not enough. I don't want to bring too much, but I don't want to be wishing I brought a certain eyeshadow either.

So far I'm thinking

five color lip palette

shampoo and conditioner for my damaged hair (i'm assuming they provide shampoo, conditioner, soap, and moisturizer in the cabin, is this correct?)

eyeshadow palette, blush, concealers, foundation, makeup brushes

eyelash curler, and mascara, sample sized face wash, toners, and face mask.

I'm gonna do the ziplock idea, and then put into a tupperware type container and get one of those over the door travel thingies so I can organize my stuff that way. Un;less of course I read a better idea here.

I have a wonderful makeup case that DH bought me for Christmas several years ago. It is divided into 2 sections, one on top of the other, the top is flat, having elastic bands that hold makeup brushes, mascara, lipstick, anything narrow. I keep this part packed all the time, with travel sized makeup brushes and an eyelash curler, cotton balls, q-tips, etc... The bottom has areas where you can stand up bottles, held again with thick elastic bands, several pouches and zippered pockets. We travel , not frequently, but often enough to keep some of the fluid items stocked all the time, I replenish when we return home. It has a generous sized mirror at the top that stands up well, enough to see most of my face. It has traveled well and I always take it with me.

I minimize my routine when travelling, but always take products my skin is used to. I use the same cleanser, toner, moisturizer, eye cream and lip conditioner that I do at home. I wear a different eye shadow color every day, but when I go on vacation, I cut it down to a daytime and a nightime color. I usually try to only take along 3 lipsticks. I rarely wear any foundation, but I will take along sample sizes for evening.

All this goes into my carryon, never my suitcase, I safeguard my cosmetics just as I do my jewelry roll and always keep it with me. I'm very particular about what I'll use on my sensitive skin and would have a very difficult time duplicating it if my luggage were to go on a separate vacation from me. I have a wonderful roll-on bag that holds all the above and also has a zip-out toiletry kit we can put into the bathroom.

Actually, on a ship, we don't need the zip-out kit, there is plenty of shelf space for all toiletries. I also do not leave my cosmetics in the bathroom on a cruise. The bathrooms are quite small and tend to get very steamy, not at all good for anything powdered, like eye shadow or, of course, powder. I put my makeup on at the desk, while DH is in the shower, so I leave my little makeup kit there.

Travel is very stressful for skin, it is not the time to try out new products.

Don't pitch the over-the-door thingie just yet, though. I have found it to be a wonderful clutter control central tool. We put it on the outside of the bathroom door and into it goes: sunglasses, sunscreen, daily newsletters, hairbrushes, flip flops, seapass cards. etc... Ours has clear plastic pockets so you can see in an instant what is there. When I bought it, I bought it cheap, thinking I would leave it behind, but it has gone on numerous cruises. I also take along an accordion shoe holder that goes in the closet for: shoes! and handbags, belts. Some ships have great storage in their closets, some don't. I have a hard time tolerating shoes laying around on the floor and we use the bottom of the closet to fold up dirty laundry. A tidy cabin is a happier place to be, no frustration looking for anything. Our cabin stewards probably love us, as DH always makes the bed in the morning.

Finally, yes they do provide shampoo, conditioner (usually combined, cannot figure that one out!) soap, sometimes lotion. Unless you are travelling on an upscale line, I would not trust what they provide, take your own. Salt water, chlorinated water, sun, sand, wind, can wreak havoc on your hair. Take your favorite shampoo and a good conditioner, even a deep conditioning pak to use towards the end of the week.

It does sound like you're having fun planning this, is it your first cruise?

I pack with the same point of view as Kathy. Don't try out new stuff when travelling and pare down color choices. For eyeshadow, one beige and two darks (brown and blue) are enough, even though at home I have dozens that I like to vary.

I also hate a shampoo and conditoner in one. I sometimes save a free shampoo bottle from previous hotel/cruise stays to bring with me and then either use it or throw it out. Conditioner is more important to the look of my hair than shampoo, so I always bring my favorite brand. I bought a small plastic squeeze bottle that holds about 4 oz, which is good for a 2 week trip. Also put my make-up remover creme in this type of bottle.

I don't separate by eye products, lip products, etc. I separate by liquid vs solid. I would pack a liquid eyeliner or creamy make-up remover in the same bag as shampoo rather an eye shadows. I have a mani/pedi before going on vacation, but pack a bottle of color and a clear for "just in case" chips. Nail polish always goes in it's own tiny little zip-lock bag.

I have a nice black fabric toiletry bag that's plastic lined and has two zippered compartments. I think this is an item that's trial and error and you may end up buying a few different ones to see which style works best for you. They're all so different.

Like Kathy, I keep my bag packed all the time with the non-everyday stuff. When I packing, I don't want to have to think about bandaids, clear nailpolish, emergency tampax, shampoo, aspirin, needle & thread, etc. All these items are packed all the time and then replenished when I unpack after my trip. My everyday make-up gets freshly pack for each trip.

Kathy, What's an accordian shoe holder look like? I like the idea of shoes, bags and belts in one convenient spot!

Jane

I pack with the same point of view as Kathy. Don't try out new stuff when travelling and pare down color choices. For eyeshadow, one beige and two darks (brown and blue) are enough, even though at home I have dozens that I like to vary.

I also hate a shampoo and conditoner in one. I sometimes save a free shampoo bottle from previous hotel/cruise stays to bring with me and then either use it or throw it out. Conditioner is more important to the look of my hair than shampoo, so I always bring my favorite brand. I bought a small plastic squeeze bottle that holds about 4 oz, which is good for a 2 week trip. Also put my make-up remover creme in this type of bottle.

I don't separate by eye products, lip products, etc. I separate by liquid vs solid. I would pack a liquid eyeliner or creamy make-up remover in the same bag as shampoo rather an eye shadows. I have a mani/pedi before going on vacation, but pack a bottle of color and a clear for "just in case" chips. Nail polish always goes in it's own tiny little zip-lock bag.

I have a nice black fabric toiletry bag that's plastic lined and has two zippered compartments. I think this is an item that's trial and error and you may end up buying a few different ones to see which style works best for you. They're all so different.

Like Kathy, I keep my bag packed all the time with the non-everyday stuff. When I packing, I don't want to have to think about bandaids, clear nailpolish, emergency tampax, shampoo, aspirin, needle & thread, etc. All these items are packed all the time and then replenished when I unpack after my trip. My everyday make-up gets freshly pack for each trip.

Kathy, What's an accordian shoe holder look like? I like the idea of shoes, bags and belts in one convenient spot!

Jane

I do the same thing by keeping a constantly packed health & beauty aide bag however, I overpack my makeup if you can possibly do such a thing.

After all, you could have a liquid eyeliner emergency and need both the brown and the grey.

I do not keep a bag packed for travel.

I use a lot of stuff all of the time and get new things quite often.

Plus, i enjoying packing my cosmetics before a vacation.

What i do is get a makeup pallette thing that has many types of eyeshadows, blush, etc all very compact. Then i will get some new eye liners, mascara and the like to pack with it.

I mostly buy new makeup for a vacation just like buying new clothes.

I do not pack all of my makeup but do pack enough to give me some options each day/evening.

I always carry my makeup with me along with our other tolietries.

I will always bring my own shampoos and things like that. I do not like to rely on hotels/ship shampoos and soaps.

I do the same thing by keeping a constantly packed health & beauty aide bag however, I overpack my makeup if you can possibly do such a thing.

After all, you could have a liquid eyeliner emergency and need both the brown and the grey.

LOL! I do that with eyeshadows. I always pack my faves...even though I know I probably won't *NEED* a cranberry AND a wine shade.

Don't look at it as overpacking...think of it as being prepared.

~e

My terminology "accordion" may be wrong, I call it that because that is how it folds down. It is actually very flat and lightweight when folded, I just toss it into the suitcase first. Here's an example:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_12/602-1323343-6347818?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0006ZP6R6

and a photo:

B0006ZP6R6.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

It snaps right over any closet hanging rod.

Thanks for all the replies!

Happy ks, that makeup case from your DH sounds great. What a thoughtful gift to get from a man. I need to get something like that..

Yes, it's my first cruise. I'm very excited and am addicted to this board. so many helpful ideas.

That is a better idea to separate in ziploc bags according to type, liquid vs. solid.

I'll definitely bring in my carryon. I don't want to be separated from my makeup. Imagine if I went on the whole cruise without my toiletries and makeup. scary.

Not to repeat anything that has already been covered...I have a few things that help me reduce the amount of cosmetics I pack...I really have a tendency towards "bring it all along, just in case".

I have several small eye and lip color palettes from MAC that are great. MAC puts these out each year for the holidays (actually, they are in stores by the end of October and are usually sold out before December). They each have 5-6 colors, all complementary, and usually suit a range of complexions. I'm sure other cosmetic companies carry similar compacts. Once I pack these, I only need a few select eye and lip items to complete my makeup.

I also put my large-container hair and body products into small bottles and ziploc them. I make a point of checking the sample/travel aisle at the drugstore for little packs of cotton swabs, hand sanitizer, shaving cream for the DH, etc.--I stock up on the things that I find in either our preferred brands or in generic brands for items we don't have a preference for (ie, cotton swabs) and keep them in a tupperware container under the sink--easy to replenish our toiletry bags as needed. Oh yeah, that implies I keep the bag packed all the time, which I do and then just add the everyday stuff.

One thing I am a stickler for....I keep my makeup brushes in their own long, slender case and put a bit of tissue in the case for padding. Packing these with other items can damage the brushes.

I have yet to find the perfect toiletry bag--the one I have now is OK but doesn't hang...I'll continue searching!

Happyks - I like those "hanging shelves" for shoes, etc. The more organized the better when it comes to small spaces!

rockster - It sounds like you are on the right track to me. My packing list is very similar, but I don't usually use any of the supplied products as I am particular about what works for me.

Happy sailing! :)

I pack several different colored small cosmetic bags and have one each for "hair," "skin care," "nails," and "make-up," so that if shelf space in the bathroom is limited (and DH takes half of that) I can stash these things back in the bags so they're not spread all over when not in use--and know by the color of the bag what is where when I need them.

After posting, I found this one, it hold sweaters and shoes. I think mine hold more shoe than the pic I posted, probably the 10 pair version.

B0006ZP6NA.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

I might consider purchasing this one in the future!

Kathy,

Thanks for the post. Now I know what you mean. Yes, very practical for travel, but it looks like it would take up alot of space in the luggage. No?

Jane

Carol Louise, that's an awesome idea with the different colored bags. I have a bunch of those gift with purchase makeup bags that only collect dust. Maybe I can use for this purpose.

I like that shoe rack accordian thingy. i actually have one of those, but that would mean emptying it out..

I always collect hotel shampoos, moisturizers. I empty the containers and fill them with face masks, face scrubs, and my favorite moisturizers to save space for travelling.

Jane (and everyone else!) you would be surprised how little space this organizer takes. You know the tubes that are in the back of your suitcase, to hold the telescoping handle? Well, this thing kid of flattens that area out and makes packing a bit easier.

I'm a light packer, I would not take anything along that was a big space waster.

rockster, your post re:my husbands' gift made me chuckle. The DH (and he is a dear in so many other ways) has never been known for his gift purchase ability. When I say I've gotten a gift from my husband, it means he gave me a gift card, or happens to be shopping with me that day. I've even given him specific lists (brand names and colors of cosmetics) and dept. store mailings, with the clothing circled and my size written next to it. I think the dept. stores love him, he shows up with a puppy dog look and hands them the list/pictures! In our 24 years together, I don't need even one hand to count the perfect "surprise" romantic gifts. No biggie, I love him just the way he is!

Jane (and everyone else!) you would be surprised how little space this organizer takes. You know the tubes that are in the back of your suitcase, to hold the telescoping handle? Well, this thing kid of flattens that area out and makes packing a bit easier.

Good idea! I'm always packing in the little squishy things to flatten out those "valley's" of the suitcase. Now you've really got me excited about buying one of those thingamabobs! Thanks K!

I think the dept. stores love him, he shows up with a puppy dog look and hands them the list/pictures! In our 24 years together, I don't need even one hand to count the perfect "surprise" romantic gifts. No biggie, I love him just the way he is!

Same here. My little muffin of love is the world's most generous guy. He loves to buy me really fine jewelry, watches and gorgeous clothes but only if we're shopping together! He only once surprised me - a pair of earrings from Monterey when he was there without me. I wear them often, tell him how much I love them and how great it was that he surprised me. That's 10 years now and he *still* hasn't done it again! So much for positive reinforcement! Oh well.

Jane

Yeah, we see those diamond commercials, with the woman swooning over the perfect earrings/ring/necklace and I just laugh. I'll never see that happen. The only time he surprised me with a piece of jewelry was the day I gave birth to my son, who will be 17 this December. He gave me a beautiful ruby and diamond ring.

For the last 10 years I have used a vanity case. It holds everything; contact stuff, hair & skin products, makeup, perfume etc. I carry that and my handbag as hand luggage everywhere, it goes where I go, I don't let it out of my sight!

I really couldn't cope with having it all spread out in my suitcase :eek: Guess I've just go used to having my little beauty case! :)

Archived