Cruises out of New Orleans - Any info?

Cruise, J.D.

Hey, has Carnival released any information on cruises out of New Orleans? Wife and I would like to cruise out of New Orleans again in the summer of '06 . . . but Carnival website is showing no cruises available for that time. Next choice is the Holiday out of Mobile, but we really want to cruise out of New Orleans.

Sensation is scheduled to begin October 26.QUOTE]

Glad to hear this. We are supposed to use our 50% off letter (from the infamous 7/16th cruise to nowhere) on the Sensation before December, 2006.

I have been super sad thinking about the possibility of not being able to cruise out of the fun town of New Orleans.....but it IS going to come back even stronger and healthier.

We booked the Sensation for December 2, 2006. At that point it was the earliest we could book, but it looks like you CAN book ater October 26th now. I look forward to cruising out of my home port again, and I HOPE we get a big NEW ship to replace the Conquest if it doesn't return.

Thinking about the Halloween Sensation cruise, me.

Carnival would be a fool not to add a larger ship. I still like the idea of Freedom, but time will tell.

I know cruises could begin out of New Orleans sooner. Also that FEMA has an option to extend the leases on Sensation and Ecstasy, so that is no doubt a factor.

I know the leases shouldn't be renewed, but who knows what will happen? :confused:

Maybe they know something ?

The Port of New Orleans expects that at least one Carnival Cruise Line ship will resume sailing voyages out of New Orleans in March. About 175 restaurants in New Orleans have been cleared to open, including several upscale eateries, such as Restaurant August, Herbsaint, Lilette Restaurant and Bacco. Attractions such as the Louisiana State Museum, the National D-Day Museum and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art could open in November.

Maybe they know something ?

The Port of New Orleans expects that at least one Carnival Cruise Line ship will resume sailing voyages out of New Orleans in March. About 175 restaurants in New Orleans have been cleared to open, including several upscale eateries, such as Restaurant August, Herbsaint, Lilette Restaurant and Bacco. Attractions such as the Louisiana State Museum, the National D-Day Museum and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art could open in November.

This is very up-lifting news. Thanks, Zydeco....

Thanks for the update! We have a Sensation cruise next December out of NOLA, but if any ship returns in March or thereabouts, we may have to take an extra trip next year! There will definitely be reason to celebrate, and I want to be on the FIRST cruise out of NOLA with a big foo-foo drink in hand as we set sail. Seeing signs of life in the city is a great thing, and reading that New Orleans might be able to handle a cruise ship by March? AMAZING. You've made my day.

Some of the above sounds confusing. I went to a "Cruise Night" open house at a local travel agency last evening, sponsored by CLIA, and there were reps from Carnival, NCL, and RCCL.

I was told that no ships will be sailing out of N.O. until 2007. They also said more ships will be sailing from Galveston and Houston.

Some of the above sounds confusing. I went to a "Cruise Night" open house at a local travel agency last evening, sponsored by CLIA, and there were reps from Carnival, NCL, and RCCL.

I was told that no ships will be sailing out of N.O. until 2007. They also said more ships will be sailing from Galveston and Houston.

AHHHHH..Blue....I used to be a TA and loved those meetings where the reps were there......SOOOO....did ya ask them about Freedom?...huh? huh?:D

MsBlue,

I would say the reps are wrong as I am booked through Carnival on the Sensation for Oct 30, 2006 out of New Orleans.

Dave

The official party lines:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/2006_deployments.aspx

Resumption of Cruises from New Orleans

The Sensation will resume four and five-day cruising from New Orleans beginning Oct. 26, 2006, a program it operated prior to Hurricane Katrina. The ship is currently under charter to the U.S. government for hurricane relief efforts.

“We have put together a fleet deployment schedule that accomplishes multiple objectives, including continuity of existing programs, resumption of cruise programs interrupted or modified by Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent three-ship charter to the U.S. government, and to introduce some exciting new itinerary and destination options,” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO. “This deployment plan successfully achieves all of these objectives and offers some terrific new cruise options in the process,” he added.

Dickinson further stated the company is examining avenues for full resumption of cruise service from New Orleans in the future (Carnival also operated a year-round seven-day program from that port prior to Hurricane Katrina). “We are eager to return to pre-Katrina capacity levels from New Orleans, a homeport that is extremely near and dear to us,” Dickinson added.

For those guests booked on voyages that are being canceled as a result of the deployment changes, Carnival is offering full refunds and, for those whose bookings were under deposit or fully paid as of Sept. 21, 2005, they will receive a shipboard credit if they re-book by the end of 2005 on any future Carnival voyage.

http://www.ncl.com/itinerary/it_09.htm

new_pink.gif7-Day Western Caribbean,New Orleans round-trip

Norwegian Sun

2006: Nov 12, 19, 26; Dec 3, 10, 17, 24, 31

2007: Jan 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb 4, 11, 18, 25; Mar 4, 11, 18, 25; Apr 1, 8

Sure RCL has something out there...

zydecocruiser

We are booked on the Oct 30 sailing for the Sensation out of NOLA. You are welcome to join us. It will be my wife and two daughters going with me.

Dave

Thanks - my schedule for next year is still up in the air, but will certainly be on at least one cruise out of New Orleans.

Jumping on whichever is the first ship out of New Orleans is also very appealing.

That is what I was told by several crew members last week.

I had heard a rumor that the Conquest move to Galveston was permanent, but was told quickly no way. The crew look forward to returning to NOLA.

I look forward to a one day drive instead of two!!

And any day is in New Orleans is a great addition to any trip.

http://bizneworleans.com/109+M509a583c6f6.html

October 25, 2005 03:39 PM

Port: Cruise lines ready to return

NEW ORLEANS — All three established cruise lines that homeport ships in New Orleans are eager to return to the city, according to Port of New Orleans officials.

“Carnival, Royal Caribbean International and Norwegian Cruise Line have all said they will return to New Orleans at the earliest opportunity,” said Gary LaGrange, president and chief executive of the Port of New Orleans. “Our cruise terminals are ready to go and we’re very pleased with the positive response and commitment shown by the cruise operators to the Port of New Orleans.”

Carnival’s 952-foot Carnival Conquest, which serves nearly 3,000 passengers, plans to return as soon as New Orleans is ready, possibly in early spring 2006. Since Hurricane Katrina, the Carnival Conquest has sailed from Galveston, Texas, and Carnival’s Sensation and Ecstasy have been under contract with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide housing to firefighters, police, rescue workers and their families. The Sensation plans to resume regular customer service from New Orleans when it’s FEMA obligations are over.

Royal Caribbean announced recently its Grandeur of the Seas would return to New Orleans on Dec. 2, 2006, its regularly scheduled return date, when the ship will resume seven-night sailings to Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Costa Maya, Mexico.

“We sincerely look forward to welcoming Grandeur of the Seas back to the Port of New Orleans in the fall of 2006 to once again begin her traditional seven-night sailings,” said Adam Goldstein, president of Royal Caribbean International. “The impact of Hurricane Katrina has been devastating, but we are confident that New Orleans will reclaim its place as a world-class tourism destination.”

The Grandeur of the Seas will sail from her temporary port, the Port of Tampa, on a series of four- and five-night Western Caribbean itineraries from December until May 2006, before relocating to Baltimore for the summer season.

The Norwegian Sun will resume its normal November to May Western Caribbean cruises from New Orleans in November of 2006.

The cruise segment of the Port of New Orleans has grown exponentially in recent years, with New Orleans blossoming into one of the most popular ports of embarkation for cruise ship customers. And the return of the cruise industry is good news for the city. A recent study determined the industry generates $226 million in direct and indirect sales annually, which supports 2,798 full and part-time jobs paying $74.1 million in wages in the region.

In response to surging demand, the Port of New Orleans is in the process of expanding its cruise terminal capacity. The existing Julia Street Cruise Terminal Complex sustained very little damage from the storm and is ready for business when FEMA downsizes or moves its operations. However, construction on the Erato Street Cruise Terminal, scheduled for completion in December will be delayed by about three months. The $37 million project will add a 90,000 square-foot terminal and a 1,000-vehicle parking garage. Also, the conversion of the Poland Avenue Wharf into a cruise terminal suffered a setback, but will move forward as soon as possible.

“Although the short-term effect will be substantial, we believe the cruise business in New Orleans will return to its pre-Katrina levels and the anticipated expansion will not be affected,” said Robert Jumonville, the port’s director of cruise and tourism. “The immediate return of the cruise business rests on the ability of the City of New Orleans to quickly revitalize the tourism-related areas including the Riverfront, French Quarter and other historic areas and to make them visitor-friendly once again.”

In other port news, container business continues to pick up at the Napoleon Avenue Container Terminal. Six container vessels are scheduled to call on the Uptown complex this week, including Mediterranean Shipping Company’s 965-foot Sarah, set to arrive Sunday. Altogether, MSC will bring in three ships this week and CP Ships will bring in two, the Danali and Motivator, both set to arrive Wednesday.

Source: Port of New Orleans

Well that is good news! Hopefully they will switch our group back to NOLA!!!! They have already given everyone that paid the full deposit an additional credit as an "incentive" not to cancel!!! But I will gladly let them have it if we can get back to NOLA!!!

Well that is good news! Hopefully they will switch our group back to NOLA!!!! They have already given everyone that paid the full deposit an additional credit as an "incentive" not to cancel!!! But I will gladly let them have it if we can get back to NOLA!!!

As much as I want to sail out of NOLA for S&S, I am not holding my breath.

Not only does the article not quote Carnival directly, it is also factually wrong about the Sensation. The Sensation will be sailing out of Port Canaveral after FEMA until next October. :(

Not only does the article not quote Carnival directly, it is also factually wrong about the Sensation. The Sensation will be sailing out of Port Canaveral after FEMA until next October. :(

True... i'm not holding my breath, but it sure would be nice. We've been told that the Conquest is not returning to NOLA... but it would be a pleasant surprise if it did! Still think the Freedom should be homeported there :D

I don't think Carnival will return to NOLA so much sooner than the other lines. And selfishly I hope it doesn't happen until after our cruise in March, but I would like to see ships cruising from NOLA again. If they do move the Conquest back to NOLA, maybe Galveston will get the Freedom???? I think the port has some issues to get cleared up (embarkation) but the ship seems to be sailing full each time it leaves Galveston. It shows that Houston/Galveston is ready for a large ship permanently.

Actually, while I doubt they will, FEMA could extend the lease for an extra 6 months, so it may not be sailing anywhere.

Archived