Civitavecchia to Trastevere

Jennybear2299

We thinking about booking an food tour with eatingitaly this July. We will be arriving at Civitavecchia at 7 am, an the tour is at 11:30...plenty of time to navigate public transportation. I've been reading though DIY threads about the train from Civi to Rome, and I'm still confused. As far as I can tell, it looks like there's a shuttle outside the ship that will take us to within a mile of the train station, then either bus or walk the rest of the way. Hop on the train and get off in Trastevere. Is this right, or am I missing something? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The free port shuttle will take you to the port gate which is now more than a mile as the port exit moved a few years ago. Here you can get on a bus to the station for a small fee (1.50e) which stops in the town but will take you to the station too.

You should buy a BIRG ticket. We always buy from the news shop in the station rather than the ticket desk, less people.

Then validate your ticket and get a Regional train to Roma Trastevere (check it stops there - download the timetable in advance).

Outside the station you can board a tram included in your BIRG ticket which will take you toward the river Tiber, the destination is P. Venezia, you don't go that far.

The tram will run down the centre of the road (Viale di Trastevere) and the will eventually pass over the river Tiber - the nicest part of Trastevere is on your left a few streets over before you reach the river. It is a distance of around 1 mile and there are quite a few stops the tram may make. You should aim to leave the tram at Mastai (or Belli the last stop before the river).

Santa Maria in Trastevere is the central landmark and the whole area is very nice to walk / stop for drinks.

So yes in principle - you have it right. If you have the train timetable it is easy to plan for your return journey.

If you have have time after your food tour, you could walk through the historic centre as it is close.

On your return to Civitavecchia, use the 2 buses to return to the ship. Plan and leave time, expect the trains to be busy.

Edited by helpthejuggler