A failed attempt to do Nevis on our own turned into an island tour of St Kitts

queenL

This was a disappointing day for us. We had planned to visit Nevis on our own. We like St. Kitts but we wanted to visit Nevis since we had never been there. We quickly walked to over to where the ferry departed. We waited and waited and waited. No staff showed up. No security, no ticket person, there weren’t any visible employees. The number of people waiting for the ferry continued to build. Finally, a local came over and told us he had heard that the ferry was cancelled due to mechanical troubles. The next ferry would depart at 1pm. Unfortunately for us if the 12 o clock ferry was out of commission that reduced the number of return ferries as well. That would mean there would only be 1 return ferry (before the ship departed) for the day at 4pm. We were uneasy with those odds. Given St Kitts “island approach” to ferry schedules, I definitely didn’t want to bank on only 1 return ferry. So we decided to abandoned plans to visit Nevis. Perhaps I should have booked the ships tour here too.

We sat down for a few minutes to come up with a plan B. We had already been to Brimstone Fortress, Black Rocks, Romney Manor etc. on a previous cruise. So we ended up going on Big Banana Safari Tours ($20pp free for kids) with Michael Bridgewater. michaelbigbanana@yahoo.com (869) 663-5115. He promised a tour of the other side of the island. We had a lot of fun. He has a great personality. We did go by Romney Manor again but no one in the group wanted to stop. We also stopped at Wingfield Estates, did a drive by of Frigate Bay and stopped at a beach for those that wanted to stay. It ended up being a nice day after all. Hopefully we will get back to St Kitts soon to see Nevis.

• 2 months later...

Nevis is my favourite place, I too have had two failed attempts so next March we will do the Catamaran trip I get to land in Nevis and my friends will meet me at Sunshines for a Killer Bee ....[emoji14]

• 3 weeks later...
Nevis is my favourite place, I too have had two failed attempts so next March we will do the Catamaran trip I get to land in Nevis and my friends will meet me at Sunshines for a Killer Bee ....[emoji14]

Who are you booking your catamaran excursion with? And what/where is sunshines??

I'm not 100 percent sure that Celebrity do one, but There's some on St.Kitts website will check it out, Sunshines is a wonderful bar and also the name of the owner, he also is well known for the Killer Bee.....Princess Di came here when she stayed at Four Seasons next door

Your welcome.....You can get to Nevis, from St.Kitts in a Taxi on the other side of the island over on the car ferry never priced that up, then a ride around the island and back over but again Nevisians are renowned for their 'soon come attitude', not good for cruise lovers on a time schedule. Water Taxis to from Bassettere, but again after spending a fair few weeks on Nevis visiting St.Kitts I won't step on a ferry unless the captain gives me his cellphone number and bank cards [emoji3] lol. She is the most wonderful island such a shame we can't get over to her. I have decided to email the Tourist Manager to see if we can get any help with our problem will post if successful....Juley