Platinum Amex Cruise Credit - Not Useable Ever?

I don't know about AMEX, but from what you described, it sounds like Royal's shareholder benefit OBC, which I can only use when I book an inside or OV.

Since when can you EVER use the shareholder credit?

Held the stock for 5 years and could not use it on any of 6 cruises--so we sold it (and made a nice profit so I really have no complaint-- except that shareholder BENEFIT is a misleading statement)

I'm a little lost as to what the OP is trying to do. I've booked more than a dozen cruises using my Amex Platinum and have always ended up with the $300 OBC for booking a suite. I've booked directly through Amex (a travel agent, but in typical Cruise Critic quizzical fashion, it is one of the few we are allowed to mention by name:cool:), as well as through other agents using my Amex Platinum.

I have always found that to be the best deal, over whatever package or special promotion Royal is offering.

I am trying to get Balcony Discount through CA (Emerald is $125, Diamond is $225) AND get $300 Amex Credit.

I was told they were combinable.

So if a 5 night suite costs $1,000 (to use round numbers) and I apply my Emerald Discount cost lowered to $875.00 then call Amex to get $300 Amex credit.

But now I am being told that I either pay $1,000 then get $300 Amex credit, or pay $875 and get no Amex credit. Can't get both promos

I am trying to get Balcony Discount through CA (Emerald is $125, Diamond is $225) AND get $300 Amex Credit.

I was told they were combinable.

So if a 5 night suite costs $1,000 (to use round numbers) and I apply my Emerald Discount cost lowered to $875.00 then call Amex to get $300 Amex credit.

But now I am being told that I either pay $1,000 then get $300 Amex credit, or pay $875 and get no Amex credit. Can't get both promos

Yeah, I've never been able to combine them. I think you're being a bit unrealistic. Just look at your different options and pick whats best. It's usually still the Amex deal.

Thanks for all the great information.

I called Amex Platinum Travel and it looks like I am getting an additional $200 on board credit. In addition to my OBC, Amex is doing a "Destination Families" promotion and my son is now getting his soda package paid for, and lunch or dinner for 4 at Johnnie Rockets (yikes).

Thanks you for your assistance

Bon Voyage

Djp

Since when can you EVER use the shareholder credit?

Held the stock for 5 years and could not use it on any of 6 cruises--so we sold it (and made a nice profit so I really have no complaint-- except that shareholder BENEFIT is a misleading statement)

I used to use it whenever we had an OV stateroom without any other OBC. However, with the advent of the continuous fake sales, I've not been able to use it.

• 4 months later...
Once you have the tracking number you give it to the Amex desk staff number.

It is up to the staff member to assign the promotion. I have never had a problem getting that tracking number applied for a client.

Hi. Can you share the direct contact information (perhaps phone number) of this Amex desk staff? May I PM you? Thanks.

Like someone said above keep calling, I never have a problem sometimes it takes multiple calls, I've used this on a lot of different sales. That's why it's best to use a TA for this.

Source: I'm a TA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Like someone said above keep calling, I never have a problem sometimes it takes multiple calls, I've used this on a lot of different sales. That's why it's best to use a TA for this.

Source: I'm a TA

Thanks for your response. I just learned that my reservation was booked into a group rate by my TA and as such it's not eligible for Amex benefit. Is it true that all group rates are no-go for Amex?

• 2 months later...

FYI, data point for all interested.

Booked Oasis for Feb 2017. Used my Amex Plat. Received my $200 OBC from Amex Plat + 100 OBC from promo when I put deposit down in Sept 2016.

I have 4 cabins for group. Group OBC credit from my TA not eligible but was only $50 OBC.

Also senior rate applied and worked.

Did same thing for Freedom cruise 2 years ago, same policy.

If you have good TA who works with Amex Plat desk in past, you should not have problem. Have done the same on NCL cruise as well.