A couple of questions about MDR and embarkation

jeanie1724

We just booked the June 6th sailing on the Inspiration! A couple of questions:

1) In the MDR, is it possible to have meals served to our kids quickly and after they eat, my husband or I can shuttle them to Camp Carnival and enjoy the rest of our dinner in peace? Not sure if the kitchen can get kids meals out fast...

2) It looks like FTTF is sold out for our sailing - when I search for it in the Fun Shops online, it doesn't appear. My question is - when would be the best time to show up to board to minimize wait time?

1) In the MDR, is it possible to have meals served to our kids quickly and after they eat, my husband or I can shuttle them to Camp Carnival and enjoy the rest of our dinner in peace? Not sure if the kitchen can get kids meals out fast...

2) It looks like FTTF is sold out for our sailing - when I search for it in the Fun Shops online, it doesn't appear. My question is - when would be the best time to show up to board to minimize wait time?

Camp Carnival can provide dinner for the kids.

We've always shown up about 10:30 - 11:00 and the latest we were on board was 12:30.

For your first question, I would recommend feeding your kids in the Lido buffet before your own dinner or just dropping them there for the Camp Carnival dinner (usually around 6 pm, see the Camp Carnival Fun Times). Then you can enjoy your adult dinner. :)

For your second question, we generally try to shop up at the port around 10:30 or so, and if everything is going smoothly boarding usually starts around 11. You should be in one of the first groups after the FTTF group boards.

Edited by gtalum

1) We always tell our waiter we need our DD food fast , and usually we had no problem. By 7 she would go to kids Club. Once we had a terrible waiter so I had to ask MaitreD' to help us and he was bringing my DD food himself. Our DD never eats from kids menu so I don't know if it will be any different.

We've done variations of the Inspiration's itin many times over the years. The ship is a favorite of ours.

Some nights the camp has dinner together at the buffet. You'll get a schedule the first night.

Without FTTF arrive around 12:30 or 1:30.

Alternatively, you can do Early Check In starting around 9:30 in front of the Dome. (Boarding starts around 11:30). Then hop on the free Passport bus to check out the Aquarium of the Pacific. The Aquarium will hold your carryon for you. The bus is located in the parking lot, under the trees. Head back at 2. .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Yes ,but they feed them junk food . :mad::mad:

What do they feed them? I am considering this for one or two dinners for my granddaughter on a future cruise. She does eat off the kids menu, if that makes any difference.

What do they feed them? I am considering this for one or two dinners for my granddaughter on a future cruise. She does eat off the kids menu, if that makes any difference.

Then she'll be fine.

I've seen kids getting other things from the buffet (beforehand with their parents) and eating this plate with the club.

The counselors will only get kids the food from the specifically set up buffet.

Depending on the age there might be a pizza making night.

Misc info-

The clubs will have a first night's meeting. They are very helpful.

At boarding the counselors are usually at the door handing out info.

Write down every adult that can pick up the kids.

Check out Seuss at Sea breakfast, parade and show. Haven't done the breakfast but the parade and show are cute.

Towel Animal Theatre is very cute. Sea day morning there might be an 'invasion' of towel creatures chair hogging the lido pool loungers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If I recall correctly, the camp carnival dinner is a buffet specifically set up for the group. They have "kid food" from what I remember hearing, things like chicken nuggets, macaroni, fruit, pizza etc. If your kids have a more refined palate or are older, they may not like it. It worked fine for my DD who is a fairly typical preschooler- picky eater/grazer. Also, its been a while, but I think in the Camp Carnival schedule they tell you what is at the kid's dinner. The downside to that is they have to be there by a certain time and we sometimes were pushing to make it or my daughter (who was 3 at the time) did not want us to leave.

We also tried a few times of ordering food for her in the MDR and then taking her to kids club, but that was hit or miss, as they are not always fast. You can ask that the kids meals come out with the adult appetizers, just like you can ask for anything (but don't always get it). We have only done ATD with our daughter on Carnival though, fixed dining may be better, not sure.

We have also gone to the buffet with her before dinner and got her a plate. That works fairly well, as long as the parents don't get hungry while waiting (my DD is a grazer and eats VERY SLOWLY so it can be a long time). The selection was not great at the buffet, but I was able to find things she would eat.

Pre-dinner at the buffet, dropping off kiddos at Camp and then adults go to dinner is my recommendation though. They get what they want but you get some supervision to make sure they eat something healthy, and you can spend time with them at their dinner and then have alone time. And sometimes I send DH to take DD to eat while I get ready, so that I can have a little time to actually get myself ready, instead of fixing hair, tying ribbons, coordinating outfits, etc.

It might depend a little on what they order, but most of the time the dining rooms staff will be happy to bring out the kids' meals first. People do that all the time.

Thanks for the responses! It looks like we have some options to feed the kids and still have some kid-free dinner time. I will check out the Camp Carnival dinner options once we're on board. I didn't even think about feeding them at the buffet before we go to the MDR, so thanks for that suggestion. On our sailing, the Early Dining is wait-listed, so maybe we'll choose YTD and then we'll have some flexibility on when we feed the kiddos. How long does dinner in the MDR usually take? We want to be able to see the 8:15 show.

FTTF is actually not sold out - thanks for the tip on looking under Excursions instead of Fun Shops! For those who have traveled out of Long Beach, is FTTF worth it? We have 5 and 3 year olds, so would rather not wait in line more than we need to.

Only you can decide if FTTF will be worth it.

Cabins open around 1.

Long Tender lines are usually clear by 11. Carnival is now using three old Catalina Ferries. 270 & 399 pax boats.

With little ones highly recommend the semi- sub and/or mini golf on Catalina.

Edited by SadieN

For those who have traveled out of Long Beach, is FTTF worth it? We have 5 and 3 year olds, so would rather not wait in line more than we need to.

My wife and I found it pretty worthwhile for our cruise on Inspiration a couple months ago. We never waited in any lines for a tender or Guest Services. It was also nice having the room ready as soon as we got on. In fact, we bought it again for our cruise on Imagination in September.

You will wait if you check in at 9:30, but the Queen Mary is free to Carnival cruisers with their sign and sail card and a great way to kill a couple hours.

Only you can decide if FTTF will be worth it.

Cabins open around 1.

Long Tender lines are usually clear by 11. Carnival is now using three old Catalina Ferries. 270 & 399 pax boats.

With little ones highly recommend the semi- sub and/or mini golf on Catalina.

We were wanting to book the semi-sub excursion in Catalina - it seems like one we would all enjoy. When I try to book it, for my 3-year-old, it says "Not Available For Purchase". Does that mean she doesn't need a ticket because of her age, but can still go? The excursion says No Minimum Age so I assumed she would be able to go.

We were wanting to book the semi-sub excursion in Catalina - it seems like one we would all enjoy. When I try to book it, for my 3-year-old, it says "Not Available For Purchase". Does that mean she doesn't need a ticket because of her age, but can still go? The excursion says No Minimum Age so I assumed she would be able to go.

About the semi-sub - There is the option to buy fish pellets that shoot out of the sides. If you see other people getting it, then you don't have to as the fish swim by all the windows to get to the food.

For fttf for the tender - We are Diamond, and with the new larger tenders, we were first on and unfortunately had to wait about 1 hour for the boat to fill up and go to the pier. It would have been faster to swim to the pier.:D I personally don't think it's worth it, especially if you do a morning excursion thru the ship.