2 Days in Kauai

SailingSunsets33

I realize that itineraries are not a new topic on this board, but I wanted to still ask for input on my 2 days in Kauai. I have been reading many, many posts, and if I apologize if I am being overly redundant.

I am planning a surprise anniversary trip for my husband. We are in our 30's and are pretty active but would like to have a "well rounded" vacation. I am asking for input on our 2 days in Kauai (10:00 am until 2:00 pm the following day).

During our visit to Kauai, it will be our actual anniversary. I would like to try to do the following things: Rent a car, drive and hike at the Waimea Canyon, helicopter tour, catamaran (possibly snorkeling?) cruise on Na Pali coast, visit the North Shore. Maybe visit Kauai Island Brewery? I'm not sure what combinations would work best each day. What have your experiences been? Any recommendations?

Day 1 (Our Anniversary): Kauai-Rent car, drive to Waimea Canyon and explore/hike. Maybe consider a sunset cruise with Captain Andy's? Or head to the North Shore for dinner?

Day 2: Kauai-Helicopter tour (Considering Blue Hawaiian, Island Helicopters, and Mauna Loa Helicopters. Any recommendations?)

**Another combination could be helicopter on Day 1, Waimea Canyon or afternoon catamaran, Dinner. Day 2: Catamaran Cruise (This could be iffy with time) or Waimea Canyon (depending on previous day).**

If you had to omit 1 Kauai activity, what would you omit? We will, most likely, be snorkeling in Kona and Maui, so snorkeling is not the highest priority. I have heard mostly good things about catamaran cruises too (both mid-day and sunset cruises), but I'm not sure that this will make the "cut."

When are you going? The north shore is very rough in the winter so a catamaran cruise of the Na Pali coastline might not be a wise choice. I don't even know if they go out during the winter months. But if you're going this summer, I'd definitely put that on the list! Also, the helicopter tour.

Re Day 1 - Waimea Canyon and a sunset catamaran cruise might work, but will depend on the amount of time spent hiking and what time the cruise leaves at. Going to both Waimea Canyon and the north shore in one day is a lot of driving, so I wouldn't suggest dinner on the north shore after Waimea Canyon. If you don't do the catamaran cruise, perhaps consider dinner at the Beach House in Poipu (bring clothes to change into so that you don't have to go back to the ship.)

I think something will need to come off the wish list because of the short amount of time that you're there .... I can see fitting in 3 of the 4 things on your list (north shore, heli tour, Waimea Canyon, catamaran cruise) but not all 4 of them. I'd probably take the catamaran cruise off the list. Perhaps do the heli tour first on day 1, then the north shore. On day 2 - Waimea Canyon (with an early start.)

Quite a bit of this depends on time of year not just for rough water on the north shore but also sunset times. Summer will have 2 more hours of daylight than winter, which could make all the difference between fitting in one more thing on day 1 or having to leave something off the list.

~Katy

When are you going? The north shore is very rough in the winter so a catamaran cruise of the Na Pali coastline might not be a wise choice. I don't even know if they go out during the winter months. But if you're going this summer, I'd definitely put that on the list! Also, the helicopter tour.

I can't believe that I forgot to mention when we are going :eek: Summer time-late June. I'm leaning towards Day 1: Helicopter/North Shore Day 2: Waimea Canyon & exploring. I'm still not sure; I don't want to over-plan (we would prefer quality over quantity), but I do want to see as much as possible. I guess I just have to choose- so difficult! :confused:

Re Day 1 - Waimea Canyon and a sunset catamaran cruise might work, but will depend on the amount of time spent hiking and what time the cruise leaves at. Going to both Waimea Canyon and the north shore in one day is a lot of driving, so I wouldn't suggest dinner on the north shore after Waimea Canyon. If you don't do the catamaran cruise, perhaps consider dinner at the Beach House in Poipu (bring clothes to change into so that you don't have to go back to the ship.)

I think something will need to come off the wish list because of the short amount of time that you're there .... I can see fitting in 3 of the 4 things on your list (north shore, heli tour, Waimea Canyon, catamaran cruise) but not all 4 of them. I'd probably take the catamaran cruise off the list. Perhaps do the heli tour first on day 1, then the north shore. On day 2 - Waimea Canyon (with an early start.)

Thank you very much for your advice! I really like your itinerary and am leaning towards the helicopter/north shore on Day 1 and Waimea Canyon on Day 2.

I can't believe that I forgot to mention when we are going :eek: Summer time-late June. I'm leaning towards Day 1: Helicopter/North Shore Day 2: Waimea Canyon & exploring. I'm still not sure; I don't want to over-plan (we would prefer quality over quantity), but I do want to see as much as possible. I guess I just have to choose- so difficult! :confused:

Thank you very much for your advice! I really like your itinerary and am leaning towards the helicopter/north shore on Day 1 and Waimea Canyon on Day 2.

I think this plan sounds very good! You definitely don't want to over-plan as you will rush and rush around trying to see everything and end up not remembering the amazing things you did see.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this plan sounds very good! You definitely don't want to over-plan as you will rush and rush around trying to see everything and end up not remembering the amazing things you did see.

Thank you :) The more that I read the boards, the more that I want to change/squeeze in. I am now questioning going to Waimea Canyon on Day 2. I have read other posts where people say they felt too rushed visiting the Canyon on the second day. Do you think that we will have enough time if we get an early start?

I can only imagine how excited you must be to surprise your husband with a Hawaiian Cruise / anniversary trip. Try and give yourselves a chance, things

do happen that may create slight delays eg.. picking up rental cars . Have a great trip !!!!

Thank you :) The more that I read the boards, the more that I want to change/squeeze in. I am now questioning going to Waimea Canyon on Day 2. I have read other posts where people say they felt too rushed visiting the Canyon on the second day. Do you think that we will have enough time if we get an early start?

I think your plan for day 1 and 2 would work. I assume you are on the POA with an overnight in Kauai, so you certainly can return to the ship as late as you want on day one. Depending on the catamoran tour times on the Northshore, you could probably do an afternoon or sunset cruise with dinner afterward in the area, or even a dinner cruise along Na Pali. This all rings a bell with me. Did I answer a similar question for you elsewhere? I remember a discussion about Captain Andy and we also talked about the sunset ceremony from the St Regis overlooking Na Pali and dinner there.

If you are doing the heli day one, I'd book direct ASAP to get the earliest feasible tour. Let them know you are on the POA and they should tell you what time is doable. We used Blue Hawaiian with pick up at the port and loved them. You could get the rental car after the heli tour, perhaps straight there from the BH location to save time. I believe they are on airport property.

If you keep the car overnight, you should be able to make a quick getaway in the am to head for the canyon and have plenty of time to see it, unless you had planned to spend hours hiking. A Heli/canyon combo would work day one as well, or just do the heli alone the am of day 2, but that would mean no Northshore cat sail, as I doubt it would work in the short time on day 2. Keep in mind the POA does do a lengthy sail by of the Na Pali coast in the afternoon of day 2, so if you decide to drop the trip to the Northshore you will see the coastline regardless. But nothing nearly so dramatic as a close up from a small boat on the water. I'd stick with Plan A.

Edited by punkincc

I can only imagine how excited you must be to surprise your husband with a Hawaiian Cruise / anniversary trip. Try and give yourselves a chance, things

do happen that may create slight delays eg.. picking up rental cars . Have a great trip !!!!

Thank you! I am trying to walk the line between overplanning and underplanning. Either way, I know that it will be an amazing trip.

I think your plan for day 1 and 2 would work. I assume you are on the POA with an overnight in Kauai, so you certainly can return to the ship as late as you want on day one. Depending on the catamoran tour times on the Northshore, you could probably do an afternoon or sunset cruise with dinner afterward in the area, or even a dinner cruise along Na Pali. This all rings a bell with me. Did I answer a similar question for you elsewhere? I remember a discussion about Captain Andy and we also talked about the sunset ceremony from the St Regis overlooking Na Pali and dinner there.

If you are doing the heli day one, I'd book direct ASAP to get the earliest feasible tour. Let them know you are on the POA and they should tell you what time is doable. We used Blue Hawaiian with pick up at the port and loved them. You could get the rental car after the heli tour, perhaps straight there from the BH location to save time. I believe they are on airport property.

If you keep the car overnight, you should be able to make a quick getaway in the am to head for the canyon and have plenty of time to see it, unless you had planned to spend hours hiking. A Heli/canyon combo would work day one as well, or just do the heli alone the am of day 2, but that would mean no Northshore cat sail, as I doubt it would work in the short time on day 2. Keep in mind the POA does do a lengthy sail by of the Na Pali coast in the afternoon of day 2, so if you decide to drop the trip to the Northshore you will see the coastline regardless. But nothing nearly so dramatic as a close up from a small boat on the water. I'd stick with Plan A.

Punkin, thank you for your advice! It is so helpful to receive so much good information from people who have already cruised to Hawaii. And you are correct, you did share information with me regarding Na Pali catamaran cruises on a different thread :) I'm having a hard time choosing between a Na Pali catamaran and a helicopter tour. I guess there could be worse choices to have to make :D

On Day 1, do you think it would be feasible to book a helicopter tour as early as possible (this wouldn't be that early considering we don't get off the POA until 10:00), take an afternoon/sunset sail, and then have dinner on the North Shore? It would be a late night, but that is OK since we have an overnight in Kauai. The sunset ceremony at the St Regis sounds breathtaking, but we can't do a sunset sail AND a sunset ceremony. Maybe an afternoon catamaran and then the sunset ceremony? Unfortunately, the only afternoon catamaran (that isn't a sunset sail) from the North Shore has an 11:45 check-in, which wouldn't be doable with a helicopter tour.

Another question, would it be horrible to forego a helicopter tour?:eek: If we didn't take a helicopter tour, it would allow for more time on our own in the North Shore without rushing around. However, I know that everyone seems to agree that a helicopter tour should be at the top of the list.

Some thoughts on your itinerary from one who spends a lot of time on Kauai:

Waimea Canyon is beautiful, but best visited earlier in the morning or later in the day. The mid-day bright sun flattens the amazing colors and drama of the landscape.

If you drive to the North Shore, be sure to take short side trips along the roads to the local beaches. It doesn't take a lot of time. You'll see local neighborhoods and see lovely beaches less frequented by tourists.

Kapaa (east shore, "Coconut Coast") has an outstanding farmer's market, with an abundance of amazing foods and flowers, plus great photo opportunities. The area can get busy, but we've never had trouble finding a place to park. Google "Kauai farmer's market" for market days.

For your NaPali tour, I'd suggest this one. We've taken this trip and family members have also used them. http://napaliexperience.com/

If you like to try local food - visit a "noodle house." Our favorites are in Lihue and Kapaa.

And, a final comment......there is such a thing as being on "Hawaiian time," which means to slow down, not rush, and enjoy life, a slower pace. It is the key to discovering the real Hawaii, not just the tourist spots, not just the recommended "have to do" excursions, not just the "best of the best."

It is the reason that so many of us truly love Hawaii.

Thank you! I am trying to walk the line between overplanning and underplanning. Either way, I know that it will be an amazing trip.

Punkin, thank you for your advice! It is so helpful to receive so much good information from people who have already cruised to Hawaii. And you are correct, you did share information with me regarding Na Pali catamaran cruises on a different thread :) I'm having a hard time choosing between a Na Pali catamaran and a helicopter tour. I guess there could be worse choices to have to make :D

On Day 1, do you think it would be feasible to book a helicopter tour as early as possible (this wouldn't be that early considering we don't get off the POA until 10:00), take an afternoon/sunset sail, and then have dinner on the North Shore? It would be a late night, but that is OK since we have an overnight in Kauai. The sunset ceremony at the St Regis sounds breathtaking, but we can't do a sunset sail AND a sunset ceremony. Maybe an afternoon catamaran and then the sunset ceremony? Unfortunately, the only afternoon catamaran (that isn't a sunset sail) from the North Shore has an 11:45 check-in, which wouldn't be doable with a helicopter tour.

Another question, would it be horrible to forego a helicopter tour?:eek: If we didn't take a helicopter tour, it would allow for more time on our own in the North Shore without rushing around. However, I know that everyone seems to agree that a helicopter tour should be at the top of the list.

No cat options at all on the Northshore in the mid afternoon? If not, I think rather than do a sunset one ( looks like June sunsets are about 7:17 ) I'd just do the helicopter as early as possible and then drive to the Northshore area and spend the remainder of the afternoon exploring Hanalie Bay and Princeville. There is lots to see and do. Also some very secluded small reef protected beaches along the "end of the road" which dead ends up against the Na Pali Coast. You could then head over to the St Regis for sunset and dinner. You could go there after a sunset cruise, but the best thing about the place is the view of Na Pali, and by the time you got there, it might be too dark to see much.

I would definately not forego the heli in favor of the Na Pali catamoran. You will see the Na Pali coastline on the sail by in any case. On the heli, you will be right down in the canyon, and down in those Na Pali valleys. Nothing compares to what you will see on the heli tour. It is truly a bucket list worthy experience you don't want to miss. We did it on our anniversary in 2014. The day 2 canyon plan will allow an early start which usually allows better viewing in the canyon, and then the Na Pali sail by after lunch on the ship.

Edited by punkincc

Some thoughts on your itinerary from one who spends a lot of time on Kauai:

Waimea Canyon is beautiful, but best visited earlier in the morning or later in the day. The mid-day bright sun flattens the amazing colors and drama of the landscape.

If you drive to the North Shore, be sure to take short side trips along the roads to the local beaches. It doesn't take a lot of time. You'll see local neighborhoods and see lovely beaches less frequented by tourists.

Kapaa (east shore, "Coconut Coast") has an outstanding farmer's market, with an abundance of amazing foods and flowers, plus great photo opportunities. The area can get busy, but we've never had trouble finding a place to park. Google "Kauai farmer's market" for market days.

For your NaPali tour, I'd suggest this one. We've taken this trip and family members have also used them. http://napaliexperience.com/

If you like to try local food - visit a "noodle house." Our favorites are in Lihue and Kapaa.

And, a final comment......there is such a thing as being on "Hawaiian time," which means to slow down, not rush, and enjoy life, a slower pace. It is the key to discovering the real Hawaii, not just the tourist spots, not just the recommended "have to do" excursions, not just the "best of the best."

It is the reason that so many of us truly love Hawaii.

PNW, thank you for your post, especially your final comment. A few years ago, we were fortunate enough to visit Maui for a week. It was the most memorable vacation for many reasons, but being on "Hawaiian time" was my favorite. We only had 2 activities that we wanted to do (snorkeling and seeing the sunset on Haleakala), and we left the rest of the days open. We ended up seeing and doing many different things, but there was no rush to any of it. This is the very thing that I am finding difficult with the cruise. I think that the cruise will be an incredible way to get a quick glimpse of each island. While I don't want to spend our time rushing around, I also don't want to miss the many opportunities that we will have. Sigh. I suppose that we will just need to continue to visit the Hawaiian islands in the future :)

Thanks for the great suggestions for Kauai. You have definitely given me some things to look into.

No cat options at all on the Northshore in the mid afternoon? If not, I think rather than do a sunset one ( looks like June sunsets are about 7:17 ) I'd just do the helicopter as early as possible and then drive to the Northshore area and spend the remainder of the afternoon exploring Hanalie Bay and Princeville. There is lots to see and do. Also some very secluded small reef protected beaches along the "end of the road" which dead ends up against the Na Pali Coast. You could then head over to the St Regis for sunset and dinner. You could go there after a sunset cruise, but the best thing about the place is the view of Na Pali, and by the time you got there, it might be too dark to see much.

I would definately not forego the heli in favor of the Na Pali catamoran. You will see the Na Pali coastline on the sail by in any case. On the heli, you will be right down in the canyon, and down in those Na Pali valleys. Nothing compares to what you will see on the heli tour. It is truly a bucket list worthy experience you don't want to miss. We did it on our anniversary in 2014. The day 2 canyon plan will allow an early start which usually allows better viewing in the canyon, and then the Na Pali sail by after lunch on the ship.

The catamaran tours that I am finding all seem to leave around 1:00. I'm not sure that this would give us enough time to get off of the ship, take a helicopter tour, and drive to the North Shore. The tours that leave later all seem to be sunset tours, and I think that I would like to take your advice and watch the sunset from land. I will continue to look for a tour with timing that might work better. If I can't find one, then I will forego the catamaran cruise.

I also think that the helicopter tour is a bucket list item but just wanted to check with my fellow cruisers :) You have really helped me solidify my plans. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my various threads.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

I appreciate all of the input that I have received on cruise critic, and I have one more specific question about my time in Kauai.

As a reminder, we will be cruising to Hawaii towards the end of June 2017.

I have really been reading through posts, and I wondered what everyone's thoughts might be on skipping the Waimea Canyon this time around (I am hoping to take a land vacation to Kauai in the future). We will arrive at 10:00 on a Thursday, and I was thinking that we could rent a car and spend the day in the North Shore. Do some sightseeing, grab some lunch (Mediterranean Gourmet?), and visit a beach or two. There would be no time crunch since we overnight in Kauai, and we could really take the day as it comes. I am still debating between having our anniversary dinner on the north or south shore.

The next morning would be reserved for a helicopter tour. I'm leaning towards Island Helicopters since my husband and I both love Jurassic Park (According the their website, they don't have tours on most Thursdays).

I know that Waimea Canyon is beautiful, but I am worried about timing issues and thought that the North Shore and helicopter tour would be our best bet.

I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of a helicopter tour (not Island Helicopters) before the North Shore on Thursday in order to visit the Canyon on Friday. My only concern with that is that there would be a LOT of driving - port to the canyon then dropping the rental off and taking a shuttle back to the ship.

I hope that I explained this clearly enough. If not, please let me know :)What are your thoughts and opinions on this plan/missing the canyon?

I realize that itineraries are not a new topic on this board, but I wanted to still ask for input on my 2 days in Kauai. I have been reading many, many posts, and if I apologize if I am being overly redundant.

I am planning a surprise anniversary trip for my husband. We are in our 30's and are pretty active but would like to have a "well rounded" vacation. I am asking for input on our 2 days in Kauai (10:00 am until 2:00 pm the following day).

During our visit to Kauai, it will be our actual anniversary. I would like to try to do the following things: Rent a car, drive and hike at the Waimea Canyon, helicopter tour, catamaran (possibly snorkeling?) cruise on Na Pali coast, visit the North Shore. Maybe visit Kauai Island Brewery? I'm not sure what combinations would work best each day. What have your experiences been? Any recommendations?

Day 1 (Our Anniversary): Kauai-Rent car, drive to Waimea Canyon and explore/hike. Maybe consider a sunset cruise with Captain Andy's? Or head to the North Shore for dinner?

Day 2: Kauai-Helicopter tour (Considering Blue Hawaiian, Island Helicopters, and Mauna Loa Helicopters. Any recommendations?)

**Another combination could be helicopter on Day 1, Waimea Canyon or afternoon catamaran, Dinner. Day 2: Catamaran Cruise (This could be iffy with time) or Waimea Canyon (depending on previous day).**

If you had to omit 1 Kauai activity, what would you omit? We will, most likely, be snorkeling in Kona and Maui, so snorkeling is not the highest priority. I have heard mostly good things about catamaran cruises too (both mid-day and sunset cruises), but I'm not sure that this will make the "cut."

DEFINITELY Blue Hawaiian!!! The aircraft and pilots are ALL five star, we compared with another couple on one cruise and we lucked out booking BH our first flight. Have done three other tours with BH.

Our first flight was a last minute decision so we only had a very early morning tour available:

** Learned from our pilot(s), early is best for viewing

** Blue Hawaiian takes you INSIDE a crater!

** We were back to the ship in time for breakfast and headed out to the beach.

** Do not take a camera - enjoy the amazing sights first-hand, the reasonably priced and PERSONALIZED (yes you are in a personalized video) CD's are really complete and so much fun to share with friends.

No I am not affiliated with Blue Hawaiian :D It was just such a great tour and everything with BH was 5 Star.

We are doing the big island again next month since Kilauea "woke up" - but Kauai is the BEST

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy!

I completely agree with the previous poster about Blue Hawaiian. They are first class and take safety very seriously, unlike some companies ( look for the very scary experience of a recent cruiser in a trip report on these boards ) whose equipment is held together with duck tape and chewing gum. Book direct with them for savings. Book the earliest flight possible. They will pick you up at the ship.

Saving the canyon for another trip could be a good choice. It is better to do a little less in order to be able to enjoy the experience more fully. If you do the heli, you are going to be much more up close and personal in the canyon than by car in any case.

Thank you sMerritt and Punkin!

Two quick questions:

1. Where can I find info about Blue Hawaiian picking us up at the port? I couldn't find it on the website. (Do I need to call?)

2. Did Blue Hawaiian return you to the port, or did you need to call a cab?

Thanks!

Thank you sMerritt and Punkin!

Two quick questions:

1. Where can I find info about Blue Hawaiian picking us up at the port? I couldn't find it on the website. (Do I need to call?)

2. Did Blue Hawaiian return you to the port, or did you need to call a cab?

Thanks!

Yes, the transportation is roundtrip. I don't remember if I called or emailed them. They gave us info on the pick up time and location. I think we may have met them at the port entry gate.

I chose not to go with Blue Hawaiian for several reasons - you are on the helicopter with other people not in your party, you are not guaranteed a window seat and you can't fly doors off. As I am overweight I was concerned that I would be placed in the middle of the chopper for balance. I also wanted doors off for better views and no reflections in my photos. We were on a smaller helicopter that held a maximum of three passengers which was perfect for us. They don't pick up at the port but check in as a short distance away, there is also a shuttle from the port to the shops where the check in is. They also have fantastic reviews on trip advisor. Something to consider if you want a more private experience.

http://www.helicopter-tours-kauai.com/book-your-kauai-helicopter-tour.htm