taking wine aboard holland america ships

retired dude

Just wondering if there is a "place" to purchase wine near to the port in Vancouver, Canada? We will be in a hotel the night before and could grab a bottle or two or three ;) before boarding.

Couldn't recall if alcoholic beverages had to be purchased at specialty stores in Canada? We are flying to Seattle from San Diego and then renting a car to get to Vancouver.

The nearest one I am aware of is the one in the lower level of the Harbour Centre (3 blocks, perhaps).

Edited by Wehwalt

The nearest one I am aware of is the one in the lower level of the Harbour Centre (3 blocks, perhaps).

The BC Liquor Store has an online inventory search, which is nice. You'll want to use a computer or larger tablet, because the site's not optimized for mobile. The link below is to the Google maps listing.

BC Liquor Stores

Harbour Centre, 555 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6B 4N5, Canada

+1 604-660-4574

https://g.co/kgs/xqnZd

Edited by POA1

The BC Liquor Store has an online inventory search, which is nice. You'll want to use a computer or larger tablet, because the site's not optimized for mobile. The link below is to the Google maps listing.

BC Liquor Stores

Harbour Centre, 555 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6B 4N5, Canada

+1 604-660-4574

https://g.co/kgs/xqnZd

It is better to use the Cordoba Street entrance, because if you go in on Hastings Street, having walked from Canada Place, you've gone up a fairly steep incline only to have to go down the escalator and walk to the back of the building.

I am content to buy wines with screw off caps and eliminate the need for corkscrews. Undoubtedly I am a philistine.

That is where I go for my permitted bottle of wine on cruises that begin in Vancouver. Would that there was a grocery store at Canada Place! The most there is is a newsstand with limited stock of food items at a high price.

Edited by Wehwalt

It is better to use the Cordoba Street entrance, because if you go in on Hastings Street, having walked from Canada Place, you've gone up a fairly steep incline only to have to go down the escalator and walk to the back of the building.

Depends which hotel you're coming from! Unless it's one right by the pier, odds are that Hasting St entrance will be the closest (and if it's a hotel further away, a different liquor store might be closer e.g the Signature BC Liquor on Bute).

If it is one of the pier hotels, or you go to Canada Place to drop bags first then go buy wine, NB: the street is CordoVa, not CordoBa, just to avoid any confusion...

Depends which hotel you're coming from! Unless it's one right by the pier, odds are that Hasting St entrance will be the closest (and if it's a hotel further away, a different liquor store might be closer e.g the Signature BC Liquor on Bute).

If it is one of the pier hotels, or you go to Canada Place to drop bags first then go buy wine, NB: the street is CordoVa, not CordoBa, just to avoid any confusion...

True. I was just giving directions from Canada Place, as that seemed the point of reference. I prefer the Delta on Hastings and of course I would go in that entrance.

I want to be sure I understand this wine allowance. We have 2 suites and a total of 6 people staying in them. All 6 passengers are over the age of 21. Are we allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine, each bottle is 750 ml without having to pay a corkage fee?

Diane

I want to be sure I understand this wine allowance. We have 2 suites and a total of 6 people staying in them. All 6 passengers are over the age of 21. Are we allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine, each bottle is 750 ml without having to pay a corkage fee?

Diane

That is correct - 6 passengers over 21 = 6 bottles of wine without a fee.

Here's the language from HAL:

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is correct - 6 passengers over 21 = 6 bottles of wine without a fee.

Here's the language from HAL:

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Thanks much! Now, does anyone know if we can pack wine into checked luggage on a flight from the USA to Vancouver B.C.?

Thanks much! Now, does anyone know if we can pack wine into checked luggage on a flight from the USA to Vancouver B.C.?

Yes. I flew from Sac to Vancouver last year and we checked 4 bottles of wine in our 2 checked in suitcases. I had wine carriers that protected the bottles in our checked bags. We brought wine because I like aged wines (we like to drink cabs that are 15+ years old). There are plenty of good places to buy wine in Vancouver, and well priced.

Edited by SLOTheta

Yes. I flew from Sac to Vancouver last year and we checked 4 bottles of wine in our 2 checked in suitcases. I had wine carriers that protected the bottles in our checked bags. We brought wine because I like aged wines (we like to drink cabs that are 15+ years old). There are plenty of good places to buy wine in Vancouver, and well priced.

Thanks again! I have 2 bottles here of the wine I like. I checked the BC liquor store website and they do carry the other 4 bottles we would like to get. They don't carry the two I want to take from here. Have the liquor sleeves we got in San Juan that I can use to take the two bottles.

Diane

Thanks again! I have 2 bottles here of the wine I like. I checked the BC liquor store website and they do carry the other 4 bottles we would like to get. They don't carry the two I want to take from here. Have the liquor sleeves we got in San Juan that I can use to take the two bottles.

Diane

We use Wineskin travel bags. They're wine bottle shaped bubble wrap enclosures that seal tightly. Highly recommended.

Wine Skin WineSkin Bag, 8-Pack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GIX531O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_oyDhxbH8KXZXE

I only plan to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard. I intend to consume both bottles on my balcony. Does the corkage fee still apply if I bring my own corkscrew?

It there are two of you, at least 21 years old, in the cabin, then each of you can bring one bottle aboard without paying a fee, so long as the wine is consumed in the cabin.

If you are the only adult in the cabin, then yes, you will still have to pay "corkage" even if you bring your own corkscrew (which is not a bad idea, btw). You would even have to pay "corkage" if the bottle had a screw cap.

"Corkage" fee isn't only about popping the cork. ;)

First I have to say, I am Canadian and for any purchases on land or sea would add 30% for currency exchange. And I should also mention, am not a high-end wine drinker...but love my wine with dinner and in my room! We are booked for 20 day cruise.

I see there is a Bon Voyage White wine for pre-order from HAL Gift/Beverage list for $30 each which includes the 15% service charge.

Can I pre-order a dozen bottles of the Bon Voyage Wine? And if I do, are we charged the Corkage fee when we bring to MDR?

Thank you in advance,

Sweetp.

First I have to say, I am Canadian and for any purchases on land or sea would add 30% for currency exchange. And I should also mention, am not a high-end wine drinker...but love my wine with dinner and in my room! We are booked for 20 day cruise.

I see there is a Bon Voyage White wine for pre-order from HAL Gift/Beverage list for $30 each which includes the 15% service charge.

Can I pre-order a dozen bottles of the Bon Voyage Wine? And if I do, are we charged the Corkage fee when we bring to MDR?

Thank you in advance,

Sweetp.

No, corkage is included in the indulgences.

No, corkage is included in the indulgences.

Hmm...so a $30 bon voyage white wine includes both 15% service charge and a corkage fee.

This would be our best option considering we wouldn't need to drag a case thru embarkation process. We can still carry a few extra bottles that are more expensive and for special nights including our two "free" bottles using our own liquor bags from Canada.

CC'rs ROCK! Thank you very much Dave for your quick reply to my post.

Sweetp.

Hmm...so a $30 bon voyage white wine includes both 15% service charge and a corkage fee.

No. Wine purchased from Holland America incurs a 15% service charge, but no corkage fee. Only wine brought on board incurs a corkage fee.

Hi Ruth. Here is an excerpt from HAL's site Gifts/Beverages which clearly states the SC is included.

Bon Voyage Red Wine

Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages. Bottle size is 750ml.Buy Now

Price $30.00

Sweetp.

I only plan to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard. I intend to consume both bottles on my balcony. Does the corkage fee still apply if I bring my own corkscrew?

Corkage has nothing to do with the action of opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew! :)

It is a fee charged when you bring wine into an establishment that also sells wine, like a restaurant or a cruise ship.

On HAL you are allowed to take one one bottle of wine per adult onboard that is not charged a corkage fee if you drink it in your cabin. It can be a bottle with a cork or a screw top.

If you take that bottle of wine into the dining room, they will charge you the corkage fee - again, it doesn't matter if the bottle has a cork or a screw top.

I don't see a good reason to stock up on the Bon Voyage wine... what if you don't like it? You can buy wine as you go along and you can even buy wine by the glass. You should be able t ofind similarly priced wine on the wine list, or if you like the Bon Voyage wine, just ask for more of it.

Edited by Boytjie

I don't see a good reason to stock up on the Bon Voyage wine... what if you don't like it? You can buy wine as you go along and you can even buy wine by the glass. You should be able t ofind similarly priced wine on the wine list, or if you like the Bon Voyage wine, just ask for more of it.

Hi Peter, so I guess I will have to do some taste testing from home. Blackstone sauvignon Blanc is listed as the white, and will check out red listing... Then make a decision. Love the testing part! Lol.