Koningsdam single cabin comments

bobpell

I for one spend little time in a cabin and usually choose a cabin on upper decks with quick access to the pool deck. My cabin on the Koningsdam is 0014 on the port side which HAL told me it is one of the largest in this category. I am assuming as you go forward the hull slopes in reducing the size of the cabin. As I am sailing NCL's Escape this weekend in a solo cabin it will be interesting to compare the Koningsdam solo in August. I had a solo on the Epic back in 2010 so I know it's a cozy fit, but the Koningsdam solo has a window....love the morning light. I booked my HAL trip to Norway as soon as the books were opened, and it was suggested I wait to see if the price would come down, glad I did not wait. I also booked my flights the day the flight schedules were posted @ 300 days out. Well folks, I checked pricing and wow, the cruise went up @ $1,000 and the air increased @$500......ouch. Booking early once again paid off. So my cruise addiction continues....Escape.5/2016, Koningsdam 8/2016, Jade 11/2016, Oosterdam 2/2017,Escape 5/2017, Meraviglia 9/2017, Spirit 1/2018,and then Seaside 5/2018.Next booking for Sept 2018 will probably be the Deliziosa out of Venice. Wish there were more single cabins retrofitted into existing ships. But when all is said and done, no complaining as just being able to take a cruise is a luxury when you look at lives and living conditions around the world.

Wow, you have more cruises booked than I do, and I thought I had a lot booked. :p I'm on a 16-night South Pacific Crossing on Noordam in April 2018, which was booked the week it became available. I'm eager to see what happens with the price over the next two years. I, too, would like to see more solo cabins, but the prices aren't always advantageous. Looking at Koningsdam and QM2, for example, it seems like the single cabins are priced higher than double occupancy cabins with a tariff. So go figure. As you're on Escape and Koningsdam before me, I'm hoping you will do a compare and contrast. Happy sailing.

Cruising and ships are my hobby, my escape and my joy. The only negative is being away from the most important part of my life....my dachshund. Yes I am retired....retired at the age oh 56....very fortunate to do so. Always saved towards retirement and although the financial meltdown reduced my plans I still have funds to cruise and am healthy...no medication. As for cruising I like to mix it up but prefer smaller ships as I don't need distractions and find a more intimate size ship more social. I sailed on the Wind Surf last December and loved it. I sent my parents on a cruise for their 30th aniversary years ago on the Song of Norway and then went on my first..on the NCL Southward....go hooked. Been cruising since...almost 37 years. I hope to keep cruising even though I don't like the way the industry has changed.....will stick with small ships at some point. I have a love hate relationship with NCL, like HAL and Princess....and after 2 WindStar cruises.....have gotten hooked. Also love Star Cippers......awaiting their future Indonesian itineraries.

Cruiser Bruiser....hope we get to meet on a cruise s you sound like a cruise addict like myself. I hope to post a comparison of both the Koningsdam and Escape from a solo perspective. Now if there was only a cure for this addiction.:o:o

Glad to hear you're enjoying your retirement. I hope to be in your shoes 3-7 years from now. My TA turned me on to a new addiction - river cruising. I did my first one last year and have another one booked for 2017. At least in Europe, there are river cruise lines that are more lenient on their solo pricing, so it's something you may want to look into.

Roz

Thanks for posting the excellent photo. I will be in the neighboring OO 1003 on a February 2017 voyage, and I cannot wait. I would love to hear any comments from folks who have experienced this new cabin category. By the way, the Koningsdam deck plans (in the Koningsdam brochure that came with Mariner) make it clear that the forward wall of OO 1001 is 162 feet aft of the bow, so that's a fairly large distance. Not too much noise from crashing swells, etc.

John, have you jumped ship from the Nov 23rd sailing?

John, have you jumped ship from the Nov 23rd sailing?

Sadly, I did jump ship. The price was just too high for me. For a comparable price, I'm sailing ten nights in a single outside cabin on P&O's Aurora through the North Sea. It will be a Christmas Market-inspired cruise, and I'm super excited. That said, I really want to to a 10-11 night Southern Caribbean sailing on Koningsdam. But that likely won't be until late 2018 or early 2019.

Sorry I didn't update my status on the roll call.

Sounds amazing! No worries about the roll call, no one was maintaining a list and it's been extremely quiet. Sign of things to come perhaps.

I want to follow this thread as people hopefully start relaying their direct experiences with Koningsdam's solo cabins. I booked OO 1009 for the June 2017 Norwegian Fjords itinerary; it's very expensive compared to what I'm normally in the market for and I'll be particularly interested in how much noise we get from the theater directly above.

I'll be in 1011 in August and will definitely report back when I return. If deck plan is accurate, I think the theater is far enough forward not to be a problem at that location. It would be nice to hear someone's actual experience, but I'm going no matter what and really looking forward to the ship and the itinerary.

• 8 months later...