Allure- The Silk Shift

After reading reviews and board comments on this issue, several times, I thought perhaps I would start this thread instead of continuing to hijack the threads of others.

It seems that there is a pattern of shifting My Time Diners with reservations up to the Silk Dining Room on occasion when the American Icon dining room is at capacity. Perhaps it is to reduce the wait for folks who have made "reservations" (which are akin to "call ahead seating" -not exactly a "reservation" but a place holder.) While I appreciate the effort of Royal Caribbean to reduce the wait for folks, it seems to be having an unintended consequence. If you are told that the Silk Dining Room is available, you do not have to go but you can if you want to shorten your wait. It's not mandatory to change, though.

The My Time experience was a really good experience for the most part. On the 6th night of our cruise, we had a 6:30 reservation. When we arrived at American Icon, we were asked if we would mind going upstairs to Silk as there were tables available. It was nice to have a change of perspective and see the Silk Dining Room. We were placed at a table near a window, which was quite nice considering we were placed up there at the last minute.

It was obvious that the system is putting people upstairs in Silk when the Set Time diners are not filling the tables, to alleviate the wait. However, it puts an extra burden on the servers trying to clear tables and reset them between main dining and late dining.

The Silk experience would not have been that bad if the server we were assigned had not expressed to us what a pain it was for him that they put other diners from MTD up in his section. He rushed my husband and my brother to order saying "You must order quickly. Please hurry." He was more than wiling to get us anything we wanted, and once we had ordered, the service was quite attentive.

If that is an ongoing issue, it is something that the restaurant/dining directors need to address. It was just obvious that the server and his assistant were overburdened with not knowing how many extra tables they would get on any given night. Like I said- not just an impression I got. They were very clear about telling us it was a pain when they got diners from downstairs. I really don't think they were upset at us, but more at what seems to be a flawed system.

It concerns me that the servers in Silk are having people forced upon them, with no particular rhyme or reason. The people at American Icon are just taking people upstairs and putting them at any clean table. The lack of coordination affects the service of these "set time waiters" are giving to their regular tables and it throws them off. If their assigned tables are not getting the service they deserve, then these servers are going to be rated below where they deserve.

I was very specific in my reviews that I believed it was more a problem with the process than the servers. I think they are almost begging the passengers to comment on it so that the line will fix it. I think they may be at the point where they feel forced to be blunt about the situation so that customers or passengers will get fed up and complain. I don't know, though.

If you are subject to the Silk shift, please have some grace with whatever server comes to your table. This is something that the dining directors need to fix. Most of the servers and their assistants are trying to give their highest level of service to their assigned tables, and they are trying to provide service to unexpected tables of diners as well. Please think carefully on how you review your servers if you are in Silk- whether as your assigned set time dining venue or as a product of the "Silk Shift."

I have worked in restaurants and never have considered making this type of comment to my guests

"The Silk experience would not have been that bad if the server we were assigned had not expressed to us what a pain it was for him that they put other diners from MTD up in his section. He rushed my husband and my brother to order saying "You must order quickly. Please hurry." He was more than wiling to get us anything we wanted, and once we had ordered, the service was quite attentive."

We regularly do MTD and have never had an issue.

However , if a server ever told me to "You must order quickly, Please hurry". I will ask to see the manager on duty and express my displeasure. I would also make it clear that I will write a comment on the rating card

I have awhile before my cruise... too long and have been reading reviews to fill time. I think I've read this in each of them. I must say, everyone is 10x more a saint than I am. If I was asked to hurry or straight out told being put there was an annoyance (I've read this). I'd happily get up and leave their section. I have a super indecisive preteen and you ask her to hurry and she slows down. Why stress me out on vacation. And on my way out, I'll have a calm word with the shift supervisor. Honestly, for what I will be paying for our cruise next summer, no you can't talk to me like that.

Yes I worked in service industry. My husband as well for many years. I am a Sr Program Mgr for a Client Svc Dept. now and that is just not how to talk to a guest.

I adore cruise staff. They are diverse they are caring and when you get to know them, their stories, but no excuse at all for that.

I have to agree with gatour. I have a food & beverage background, and the server's comments are unacceptable. I can understand if you feel it is not the fault of the servers, and maybe you're right, but that is still no way to treat a guest, under any circumstances.