Embarkation with Disabled Adult

grammi

Looking for tips to make embarkation easier and less stressful. We travel with my adult disabled son in a wheel chair. Because of his medical needs we have to carry on quite a few bags. We use a portable hand truck and back packs. Going through security we have to unload everything then reload it all back up. The security people always look wide eyed when the see us coming. Does anyone have any tips or secrets on making this process easier or less stressful. My next trial might be with several mimosas under my belt to not be so stressed. I was thinking I would pay someone a lot of money to take it through for us and have it delivered to our cabin.:D

Looking for tips to make embarkation easier and less stressful. We travel with my adult disabled son in a wheel chair. Because of his medical needs we have to carry on quite a few bags. We use a portable hand truck and back packs. Going through security we have to unload everything then reload it all back up. The security people always look wide eyed when the see us coming. Does anyone have any tips or secrets on making this process easier or less stressful. My next trial might be with several mimosas under my belt to not be so stressed. I was thinking I would pay someone a lot of money to take it through for us and have it delivered to our cabin.:D

Of course anything containing medical supplies is always recommended to be carried onto the ship but can't any of the bags be checked with the porters upon arriving at the cruise port terminal in which case those bags would be delivered to your cabin ?

Remember you will not have access to the cabin until 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM depending on the cruise line so you'll have to lug everything around until that time. With the exception of Carnival that offers FTTF (faster to the fun ) program for a fee to access the cabins earlier, the cruise lines do not make an exception to entering the cabins prior to the announcement that the cabins are open even for those that have a disability. Otherwise suggest not arriving at the port until closer to the time the cabin's will be open as it will be less crowded going through security as well as being able to go directly to the cabin.

Thanks for the input, yes we love FTTF on Carnival but we are getting a suite on Princess and they are pretty good about getting us in our cabin when we embark. The supplies are pretty much medical supplies would create a nightmare if they didn't show up.

Of course anything containing medical supplies is always recommended to be carried onto the ship but can't any of the bags be checked with the porters upon arriving at the cruise port terminal in which case those bags would be delivered to your cabin ?

Remember you will not have access to the cabin until 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM depending on the cruise line so you'll have to lug everything around until that time. With the exception of Carnival that offers FTTF (faster to the fun ) program for a fee to access the cabins earlier, the cruise lines do not make an exception to entering the cabins prior to the announcement that the cabins are open even for those that have a disability. Otherwise suggest not arriving at the port until closer to the time the cabin's will be open as it will be less crowded going through security as well as being able to go directly to the cabin.

Personally, I would take everything needed as you have been and take a zen approach. You do not need to speed through the security checkpoint at the same speed as everyone else. It may take a few more minutes, but what is that compared to the rest of your cruise? You might also offer a smile and mention to the folks in line behind you that your screening may take an extra few minutes and elicit their empathy.:)

Princess is great about being able to go right to your cabin upon boarding.

Love the tip for Zen approach might be better than the Mimosa idea. We pretty much do as you suggest accept my stomach is all in a knot.I will say most of those around us are very patient and supportive so its my problem of feeling like we are creating a big hassle and then the activity of unpacking everything to go through the xray machine, having my son be gone over with a wand, and then packing everything back up.

Personally, I would take everything needed as you have been and take a zen approach. You do not need to speed through the security checkpoint at the same speed as everyone else. It may take a few more minutes, but what is that compared to the rest of your cruise? You might also offer a smile and mention to the folks in line behind you that your screening may take an extra few minutes and elicit their empathy.:)

Princess is great about being able to go right to your cabin upon boarding.

Grammy, have no idea how it will go as yet (will be back mid-May so watch this space...hopefully will be in time to be of help to you) but we are cruising with princess, leaving on Thurs. I am a wheelchair user and got a bit concerned about embarkation as I'm travelling with family but we are in cabins on different decks so had something like 2 hours difference between our allocated check in times. We rang to see if it was okay for my parents (with the later time) to arrive the same time as me - not only was told no problem, but our whole group has been priority boarding. Completely unexpected, very nice of them & hopefully will make things much easier if it goes smoothly.