Off Sunshine 8 days now and still sick.

crusinpsychRN

Just read an article--you can have the flu and not have a temp. Over 30 cruises and never sick before.

I feel for you - but on the brighter side, you got sick towards the end of your cruise and had it bad afterwards. While no means good, it's better than being sick throughout your cruise vacation from day 1.

In Jan & Feb, I encountered lots of hacking coughers in airports and on board the Glory. They seemed to be everywhere, and that includes locals in port. Sometimes you do your best to keep a distance, by when germs, bugs, cooties or viruses are airborne, it's hard to escape exposure.

Hope you're doing better now.

Edited by evandbob

At one point I considered lactic acidosis. I had gone on an excursion in Aruba, North Coast Jeep Safari. Our second stop was a "rock garden", a desolate place with a small mountain of a rock formation. There was a trail of pavers and then steps up to the top. Problem was the step risers were between 7 and 9 inches. Each step was huge! I went up slowly, got to the top and went down. Exhausting.

Didn't have enough of the symptoms to be that.

The whole trip I was stringently not shaking hands and washed my hands all the time. Oh well.

I'm hearing from many of my patients their entire family had symptoms for 2 weeks.

DH had to fly last week for work. He was perfectly healthy when he got on the plane to return home Thursday night. He started feeling poorly Friday night and is still sick. Cough, breathing problems (he is asthmatic), fever. He is already on an antibiotic for another ailment. Everything he gets turns into bronchitis because of his lungs, so we're just waiting for that. Dang air travel! :(

I fly minimum once a quarter for work. I've been giving SERIOUS thought to wearing a surgical mask from the airport gate to my destination. 3 years ago a trip from Florida to Texas to Wisconsin and back again left me with pneumonia. :eek:

If it's flu, antibiotics don't work, will only weaken the immune system. I would be concetrating on immune system boosters to help my body fight it naturally. Every winter, instead of a flu shot, we boost our immunity and knock on wood, we never get the flu.

Pat

It happened to me several years ago on the Fantasy, My cabin attendant was sick, she disappeared for a couple of days and her replacement told me she was sick. I saw her a couple of days later and she looked like death warmed over, I really felt bad for her and told her to skip my cabin. Anyway last night of cruise my throat started hurting and it was on. I ended up at Dr after cruise and was diagnosed with a mild case of pneumonia. I missed two weeks of work plus the week I took for the cruise.

But it can happen anywhere, my co-workers with school age kids or forever bringing bugs into work.

Hope you feel better soon.

I was on the 4/8/16 sailing of Sunshine with a large group from the unnamed site. Lots of us ended up getting sick by about day 6 with cough, no energy, no appetite. Some have fever, some ended up in the hospital.

One day you start to feel the worst has passed only to feel totally horrible the next day. This is the first in over 30 cruises I've ever gotten ill. And it's horrible! At this point I don't care if I ever see a cruise ship again---but I have 3 booked.

This "bug" has also been going around our school so it's not just a cruise ship thing. I had kids out for four fays, then back for one. The following week the same kids were out for a few days.

Hope you fell better soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, I just saw a video on that "tube" site by Joe Somebody talking openly about boarding. He and his wife boarding the ship with a stomach virus. How did they get on if they answered the medical questionnaire honestly? I know this wasn't your cruise, but that is how these things happen. Obviously, those questionnaires are ineffective if people don't answer honestly or the cruise line ignores the information.

Interestingly enough, I just saw a video on that "tube" site by Joe Somebody talking openly about boarding. He and his wife boarding the ship with a stomach virus. How did they get on if they answered the medical questionnaire honestly? I know this wasn't your cruise, but that is how these things happen. Obviously, those questionnaires are ineffective if people don't answer honestly or the cruise line ignores the information.

Realistically since answering the questionaire positively could mean denied boarding and loss of their money how many people will really do so?

So, I guess I'm missing the point of most of this thread. Is the cruise ship itself the cause of these illnesses? Not the thousands of people from all over the place, from all walks of life, many with questionable hygiene habits, thats not the reason or contributing reason?

I was on the 4/8/16 sailing of Sunshine with a large group from the unnamed site. Lots of us ended up getting sick by about day 6 with cough, no energy, no appetite. Some have fever, some ended up in the hospital.

One day you start to feel the worst has passed only to feel totally horrible the next day. This is the first in over 30 cruises I've ever gotten ill. And it's horrible! At this point I don't care if I ever see a cruise ship again---but I have 3 booked.

Thanks. I'm on an antibiotic, never had a fever, never threw up. Some people at work have it too. Lasts way too long. It's the feeling better then worse which is disheartening. Talk about needing vacation from vacation, this is it.

How many people from work were on your cruise? First a post about being sick after a cruise followed by another post stating people at work now are sick too. If it's something from your cruise perhaps you infected them?

How many people from work were on your cruise? First a post about being sick after a cruise followed by another post stating people at work now are sick too. If it's something from your cruise perhaps you infected them?

No, they were sick while I was on the cruise. It's some bug going around someone took on the ship. I felt fine until day 7 of an 8 day cruise and only symptoms was no appetite. Later developed No energy at all. After starting to feel better got a cold probably from one of my patients.

So, I guess I'm missing the point of most of this thread. Is the cruise ship itself the cause of these illnesses? Not the thousands of people from all over the place, from all walks of life, many with questionable hygiene habits, thats not the reason or contributing reason?

There were several trips just before ours hit with noro virus. Not saying it's the ship. One lady did have a problem with fumes and a mist in her cabin which caused her face to swell and she got very sick. After 2 days asking for different cabin she was moved. Ended up in the hospital. It hit lots of people in the group I met on facebook, some didn't get symptoms until the day they got home. Diagnosed flu or pneumonia. The lack of energy was unbelievable.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I got it aboard the Royal Princess last month. Felt terrible for the first three or four days, then slacked off, except for the terrible crap in my throat, and constant cough to get it up. That thing lasted for about two weeks! :mad:

"SKY"

I am sorry so many people were sick on your cruise. My husband and I sailed on the Sunshine starting the day you returned and we had no illness issues. We knew many families onboard and they remained healthy through the trip and after. When something is going around many people will stand the chance of getting sick. People aren't always as careful as they should be and do come on the ship sick or just getting over something. As a teacher I always feel I'm more at risk at work than on the ship but am very careful about what I touch, how often I wash my hands, and try to only use my own cabin bathroom. One year on the Liberty the noroviris hit about 200 people and announcements were made to be more vigilant. Again we were lucky (or very careful) and escaped becoming ill. I will also include that the week we were on the Sunshine I heard that back in MA two women I know were diagnosed with pneumonia and a few more with sinus infections.

Unfortunately this happens to me every time I cruise. I think my immune system just does not deal well with the extra food, sugar, alcohol and lack of sleep in addition to being exposed to all the germs.

I believe it was right after my first cruise that I developed pneumonia for the first time.

So I am attempting my next cruise cautiously, very hard to do on a cruise but I need more sleep and less eating/alcohol...lol. Plus this next time I am determined to use the gym, that also helps the immune system.