Heli and dog sled excursion with kids

ksmithym

My husband and I really want to do the helicopter and dog sled excursion in Juneau. However, we have our 9 and 5 year olds with us. At over $500 per person this gets pretty spendy. Is it worth it for the young ones?

Those trips get weathered out often but if you're lucky enough to get off the ground, people say the heli dog sledding was the highlight of their trip.

I've read a few trip reports where families took an 8 or 9 yr old and they had a great time, but not as young as 5. (geez I don't remember much of anything from when I was 5 but maybe that's because I didn't go heli dog sledding !!)

Here's one report ... look further in her thread to find the photos .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43436631#post43436631

Maybe consider dog carting for the kids. Far less expensive.

We have that excursion booked in less than two weeks and we are taking our 4 & 5 year old. It was super spendy but we thought of it as a once in a lifetime opportunity, plus we just figure if it gets cancelled due to weather it's ok too. When are you cruising, I can let you know when we get back if it was worth it or cancelled!

We went on the heli dog sledding out of Juneau in 2014 and it was amazing.

We do not have kids but I think it's something kids would remember if you did take them. The views were amazing and the dog sledding in the snow was fabulous. It's always been a dream of mine to ride a dog sled and adding a helicopter was something I would definitely do again. Yes, it's expensive but in my opinion it was 100% worth the money.

We went on the heli dog sledding out of Juneau in 2014 and it was amazing.

We do not have kids but I think it's something kids would remember if you did take them. The views were amazing and the dog sledding in the snow was fabulous. It's always been a dream of mine to ride a dog sled and adding a helicopter was something I would definitely do again. Yes, it's expensive but in my opinion it was 100% worth the money.

Who did you book through?

We have taken this excursion twice. The adults will love the heli ride all the way to the landing area while getting an understanding why the dogs are up on the glacier. The kids will love the sledding. They also get a bonus after the end of the ride by holding the puppies and of course we all win with the pics they take! btw, it was 350. when we last flew. Enjoy!