Using ATM's abroad

dorsetlad

This may seem a rather silly question, but I have never used an ATM whilst on a cruise. If you were ashore in say, Barcelona, and wanted to use an ATM, would the machine recognise that you are using a UK registered card and show the instructions in English?

Brian

It's essential however that you notify your credit card provider or bank in advance to let them know you will be going overseas. If they see activity on your card and you haven't notified them of your travel plans they may well freeze your card and your account as they'll think there's fraud going on....

Some cards or banks also make charges for taking cash out so check your terms and conditions. You do usually get a very competitive exchange rate however.

There is no automatic recognition that your card is English. However, there are buttons to press to select the language you require, one of which will be English.

Some ATMs will offer to convert your withdrawal to pounds. If you agree to this then the exchange rate conversion will be done by the local bank. The chances are that this will be at a poor exchange rate so it is best to decline this offer so your bank will get charged in Euros and they will convert it at their rate which usually will be better than the local bank.

Brian

There are still a few banks that don't charge any fees to withdraw money from ATMs or use a debit or credit card abroad.

Metro Bank don't charge in Europe, and Halifax's Clarity credit card doesn't charge anywhere.

Edited by insanemagnet

Always ensure you are charged in local currency, so in Barcelona would be Euros. Many places will accept CC anyway, so no need to carry large sums of cash. Make sure you have a CC with no foreign charges. There is no longer a requirement to advise bank if only using the card within Europe.

There is no longer a requirement to advise bank if only using the card within Europe.

That's not what my bank tell me - they insist on being notified for ALL overseas trips, Europe or otherwise. Hell they even cancelled my credit cards when I moved to Wales!

There is no automatic recognition that your card is English. However, there are buttons to press to select the language you require, one of which will be English.

Some ATMs will offer to convert your withdrawal to pounds. If you agree to this then the exchange rate conversion will be done by the local bank. The chances are that this will be at a poor exchange rate so it is best to decline this offer so your bank will get charged in Euros and they will convert it at their rate which usually will be better than the local bank.

Brian

This post basically sums up everything I could say. I've never had a problem using machines abroad but as the poster says, decline the exchange into Stirling as the rate is usually awful.

As other posters have said, use a Halifax Clarity card as there are no fees and the exchange rate is the best of all cards at the moment, and has been for years.

Thanks for the replies. I use a Halifax Clarity, which charges 1% for cash withdrawals, and nothing for purchases, and I have notified them of our travels. I only intend to use it to draw cash for small purchases like coffee etc, as for larger purchases I will use the credit option. I believe for both cash withdrawals and credit card purchases, the bank will use the official Visa exchange rate for the day that the transaction is made.

Brian

Edited by dorsetlad

To save the hassle of atm withdrawals, consider buying yr currency before you depart...

I've always found " moneycrop" to have competitive rates and charge no commission.

You can order online- and collect at airport. Very easy.

This maybe a good way particularly as yr only wanting money for coffee and local street activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But then you have the hassle of keeping the cash safe.

Far easier to use a debit/credit card wherever you can, and draw small amounts of cash from ATMs as needed.

True

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have checked on the Martin Lewis website and it recommends The Halifax Clarity as the best card to use abroad. I applied for one on line and within minutes I was informed by e-mail my card was on its way

As will I be visiting countries with different currencies on Baltic cruise, I think it will be perfect

brynmelyndavid

Yes, I used to have to advise CC company when travelling abroad too, but last time I rang them to advise I was going to use the card in France they told me this was no longer required for Europe. That was in November 2015.

I have two CCs without foreign charges, one is a MasterCard and the other is Visa. I have since used them both abroad in different European countries without advising I was going away.

I have checked on the Martin Lewis website and it recommends The Halifax Clarity as the best card to use abroad. I applied for one on line and within minutes I was informed by e-mail my card was on its way

As will I be visiting countries with different currencies on Baltic cruise, I think it will be perfect

Hello

I did the same a few weeks ago after researching on here. I also am going to the Baltic and I checked with Martin Lewis. I know there are no charges for using the credit card for purchases, but I am still a bit confused about withdrawing cash using a credit card. I was always warned that the interest rates on withdrawing cash were quite eyewatering, is this still so, do you know. Should I use my debit card to withdraw cash at the ATM and see what the black horse charges??

You definitely don't want to withdraw cash on a credit card. Use a debit card. My Natiionwide debit card has no charges abroad. I also thought I had to inform them I was going abroad, but they said I didn't need to.

Having said that, if I was only buying a coffee, I would just take say 20 Euros in my pocket. Much easier.

Edited by jeanlyon

I'm with nationwide and think my bank card is also fee free for atm withdrawals and my nationwide credit card is fee free for purchase abroad but not at the atm

You definitely don't want to withdraw cash on a credit card.

Check if your "Free" ATM withdrawals are only confined to Nationwide, as there may be a fee charged for other banks. Even if there is a charge its normally small.

Never use a credit card for ATM withdrawals, its will cost a fortune. There is a way around this, by putting your credit card in the "Black" it will be cheaper in the long run, but thats another story.

You definitely don't want to withdraw cash on a credit card. Use a debit card. My Natiionwide debit card has no charges abroad. I also thought I had to inform them I was going abroad, but they said I didn't need to.

Having said that, if I was only buying a coffee, I would just take say 20 Euros in my pocket. Much easier.

Hello

Most of the ports of call have euros as currency and that is not a problem....I still have some in a money purse somewhere....will have to firk about and find!!

But its the Danish Krone, Norwegian Krone and of course the roubles that are making me think, I need to have "pennies" in my pocket.

Halifax clarity, make it quite clear, they do not charge a fee for using ATM machines abroad, but have no control on ATMs that charge. They charge same interest as if you make a purchase. Martin Lewis confirms this. The only catch is unlike other CC's they charge interest on cash withdrawals even if you pay off in full. Martin Lewis advises don't wait for bill, pay off as soon as you get home. This is what we intend to do

You definitely don't want to withdraw cash on a credit card. Use a debit card. My Natiionwide debit card has no charges.

Completely wrong jeanlyon. The Halifax Clarity credit card is the cheapest way of obtaining cash and goods abroad. Read Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert.com website for details.

I pay mine off as soon as I get home and the interest is counted in pence.

I also have a Nationwide debit and credit cards and their charges are more than the Halifax card. Not a lot more but still more.

if you pay off your Halifax Clarity card in full when you receive the next statement, the interest is around 1%. That is far cheaper than changing currency whatever means you use.

The actual cost is 5.2p per day for every £100 withdrawn.