Can One Use VISA Gift Cards (Not Carnival) to Pay on Cruise?

Rosethorn40

I won a VISA gift card at work for a small amount for winning a contest. I tried to use it tonight to pay towards my next Carnival cruise and it wouldn't go through. Either Carnival doesn't accept pre-paid VISA cards, or my cheap boss lied about the amount on it. Anyone know for sure. Is it No Pre-Paid VISA Or Really Cheap Lying Boss? :)

From past experience with these gift cards you actually have to go to the gift card site to register the card with you name and address before using it to pay for something on line. Look at the instructions that came with the card to see if it states that.

Kim

Due to tax regulations when my employer gives gift cards we get a letter stating it has to be for a tangible item, can't use it for things like eating out, gasoline for my car, or services. I actually have to buy an item with it - according to the letter.

That said - can you call and see what the balance is and go from there?

I wish you the best of luck!

In general those prepaid Visa cards are horrible, especially if you need to return something. Buy a gift card, then pay for your purchase with the gift card.

Should be contact info for information, phone or web, on the back of your card.

We can buy Carnival gift cards at our local Vons (Safeway) grocery store. Should be able to buy them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just used a couple last month that I won from work to pay on my cruise. Any place that typically has tips (cruises, hair dressers, restaurants, ect) will put a hold on a certain percent and then release it a few days later. I had a $200 card that I could only pay $170 towards the cruise with, the other $30 was released a couple days later and I was able to use it at a store.

I used 2 of these earlier this month that I also won at work with no problems. But depending on the vendor they got the card through, rules could be different. You could try calling the number on the back to ask.

In general those prepaid Visa cards are horrible, especially if you need to return something. Buy a gift card, then pay for your purchase with the gift card.

We can buy Carnival gift cards at our local Vons (Safeway) grocery store. Should be able to buy them online.

That's a good ideal. I have seen Carnival Gift cards at our grocery store as well. I'll use the card I got, add a little extra, and turn around and apply to our upcoming cruise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Rosethorn40

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Its tricky using prepaid online, in stores is easy and then paying online with the gift card is easy. Plus maybe you can get gas points for it too.