DUTY FREE questions

Truebliss72

Can someone help me with Duty free questions. My husband would like to purchase a video camera (DVD) so we can take with us to film the whole experience. Anyone have any idea how we do this? I have done this at the airport etc when we have been away by air overseas but not by ship. So if you could let me know that would be great. Also is it cheaper to Duty free or just buy them normal prices at Harvey Norman etc?

Much appreciated

They don't have a duty free shop at the cruise terminal, so don't wait till then. You have 2 choices, either buy from a duty free shop GST free and not be able to use it until you have cleared customs, or you can buy from a regular place such as HN, DJs and as long as the "invoice"/shopping docket is more than $300 you can then claim a refund of any duty/gst paid from customs.

For example, we bought a Nintendo DS for about $200, a laptop bag, and a game. This brought our total to over $300 in the one purchase at the one shop (DJs). Then at the airport (we were flying overseas) we had a refund of the dutys given on our credit card. You must be able to show the goods and you can only buy them up to 30 days before.

The link to the customs site is: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4366

I seem to remember that if you purcahse duty free electrical goods within 30 days of departure you can use it before you go. That way you can familiarise yourself with camera etc.

Any good camera store such as Paxtons or Camera House should do duty free.

Are you flying through an international airport? If so you may be able to purchase, sorry not sure.

Have a look at www.dutyfree.com.au there may be some info there.

our kids bought ipods from Harvey norman(cheapest place).

we just took the dockets to the gst tourist refund office just inside the p and o terminal. Had to fill a form on and they credit you your bankcard.. Ours went through within a couple of days. Already showing on our bill.

I think the days of cheap duty free is over. Alcohol can be just as cheap from retail shops. I think smokes were cheap onboard. Nost of the duty free on board is bags and jewellry which is hard unless you know your prices.

we also had opened up the ipods and downloaded all the kids music, so yes you can open them and use them before.

just keep them handy when you checkin

karon

our kids bought ipods from Harvey norman(cheapest place).

we just took the dockets to the gst tourist refund office just inside the p and o terminal. Had to fill a form on and they credit you your bankcard.. Ours went through within a couple of days. Already showing on our bill.

I think the days of cheap duty free is over. Alcohol can be just as cheap from retail shops. I think smokes were cheap onboard. Nost of the duty free on board is bags and jewellry which is hard unless you know your prices.

we also had opened up the ipods and downloaded all the kids music, so yes you can open them and use them before.

just keep them handy when you checkin

karon

how much did u buy the ipod from harvey normal for, what type? and how much did u get back with the refund? sorry, my boyfriend wants to buy me one for christmas, and if he can get it cheaper duty free he is better off doing it that way:)

Smokes are still cheap - about 50% off....

In general Duty Free on Pacific Sun out of Sydney was dearer (particularly for alcohol) than on Pacific Sky out of Brisbane - probably a reflection of the suppliers in each city I guess.

Kym

Well after a few days of looking for a video camera we ended up getting one from Harvey Norman but not the DVD (new one) we got a mini DV one thought for $300 off so it was good. Am going to have to sit now and read the whole book on it before we leave. Yay! Thanks for all your help.

there is no such thing as duty free in australia, the duty free shops basically sell gst free, be careful as it is sonmetimes cheaper to buy retail in myer and claim back gst. If you are cruising DONT BUY ANY CIGARETTES, BOOZE in australia buy them in port vila a carton of benson hedges or johnny walker red label i litre $20 each , they are not much deare on pacific sky jim beam $21 ciggarettes all $26 on SHIP THEY WILL GIVE YOU CIGARETTES straight away but the booze they will give you on last nite, mainly to stop you drinking on board so you will spend in their bars. perfume is cheap on board as well a little cheaper in port vila dkny mens $72 it was about $100 duty free in melbourne airport and about $120 in myers. if you want electrical items buy them in australia as there is nothing on ship and old crap in port vila BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK AS YOU WILL PAY MORE AT DOWNTOWN DUTY FREE they have a 10% price garauntee so if you see an ipod on sale cut out the ad and make them match it and better it by 10%. I BOUGHT MROBE AT MELB DUTY FREE $190 they only gave it to me cheap because it was on asale in megamart. last tip if you want a couple of bottles for your cabin buy them in a suburban duty free as a litre of johnny walker black at airport is $48 compared to $34ON SHIP these prices are from last month pacific sky cruise

Archived