Vancouver seaside restaurants

phoenix_dream

Staying for a few days in Vancouver prior to our cruise. Any recommendations for mid-priced restaurants, preferably near the airport as that is where our hotel is. We would also not mind splurging a bit for a nice seaside restaurant that overlooks the bay as well. Thanks in advance.

Staying for a few days in Vancouver prior to our cruise. Any recommendations for mid-priced restaurants, preferably near the airport as that is where our hotel is. We would also not mind splurging a bit for a nice seaside restaurant that overlooks the bay as well. Thanks in advance.

Best value seaside restos IMO are Cactus Club Cafes - either English Bay (possibly the bay you're referring to - looks westward, so great sunset view potential) or Coal Harbour (next to the Convention Centre, just a couple of blocks from Canada Place so handy to come check out exactly where you're going come embarkation time).

With your dollar much stronger than ours, CCC might even fit into 'mid-price' range although I have no idea of your personal definition of such. Anyhoo, if it ain't splurgey enough, consider Five Sails (also ideal for visiting Canada Place, as it's inside the building upstairs in the Pan Pacific Hotel) or Lift close to the entrance of Stanley Park. These spots overlook the North Shore mountains, with some western exposure too.

OTOH if CCC looks too splurgey, two of the best patios in the city belong to the Tap & Barrel pubs - one at Coal Harbour just next to that CCC, and the other in the Athlete's Village so you are actually looking across False Creek to downtown Vancouver.

From another Q I know you have a rental car, so Richmond may work out OK for you (NB: driving in Vancouver might be odd to you since we have no highways, parking can be expensive and hard to find, and theft from autos is outrageously bad so be super-careful never to leave your stuff on display. Ever. Even right in the heart of downtown with tons of folks around).

Even with a hotel out near the airport, there's no reason not to eat dinner downtown (sunset after 8:30, twilight for maybe 45mins after that). Unless you plan to walk to dinner from the hotel, someones going to be designated driver anyway so dining downtown or a five minute drive from the hotel doesn't matter...

Whichever airport hotel you're in, the best restos near you are almost all Asian, and mostly Chinese. We do have some outstanding Chinese food around here, and given Richmond's demographics no surprise that an awful lot of it is there. Avoiding the fancier spots, I'd suggest trying Dinesty Dumplings or Shanghai River.

You don't have to push the boat out too much to enjoy dinner at a fancier spot like Kirin or Sun Sui Wah if you pay attention to the menus - they might offer some very swanky stuff, but there's also plenty of options that will get you well-fed without breaking the bank. On the more Western side, there's another CCC out near Lansdowne as well as an Earls.

I think you're here too early for one of the Night Markets, but the newly-renamed Panda Market is opening April 29th - that's a fun way to spend the evening eating and drinking and people-watching.

xlxo, a frequent visitor, likes to stay near the Aberdeen centre and will hopefully be along with some other suggestions for you out in that neck of the woods.

I can't recall any seaside restos in Richmond as it tends to be surrounded by the Fraser River. However, with a car you could go out to Steveston, a former fishing village which form part of City of Richmond where YVR is located and enjoy the Blue Canoe. Closer into the airport there is The Boathouse which we have always enjoyed. Then there is the Keg which tends be a popular priced steak house but also features seafood.

If you want to stay downtown Vancouver after your day of touring then I would think of Cardero's which is very close to the Bayshore Inn and has some wonderful marine views. Another good bet is the Fish Shack on Granville St. about 10 blocks south of Canada Place; good eats but no views.

Richmond, around the airport is awash with Asian restos but one we always enjoy is the Rain Flower; the service is not necessarily fast but the food is excellent.

When you look at the menus and prices, remember they are in CAD.

http://www.bluecanoerestaurant.com/

http://www.tourismrichmond.com/listings/Boathouse-Restaurant-Richmond-The-/263/

https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/#!/locations/richmond-south-keg/#siteContent

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/

http://www.glowbalgroup.com/fish-shack/#

https://www.facebook.com/RainflowerRestaurants/

Any recommendations for mid-priced restaurants, preferably near the airport as that is where our hotel is.
thanks martincath....

@phoenix: Can you share which airport hotel you have selected? Some airport hotels are more remote than others. The Fairmont Airport is the most famous.... but it's not mid-priced. Surrounded by runways.... the Fairmont Waterfront will not offer any seaside food opportunities.

Like Vancouver, Richmond is a mecca for food too... especially Asian.

thanks martincath....

@phoenix: Can you share which airport hotel you have selected? Some airport hotels are more remote than others. The Fairmont Airport is the most famous.... but it's not mid-priced. Surrounded by runways.... the Fairmont Waterfront will not offer any seaside food opportunities.

Like Vancouver, Richmond is a mecca for food too... especially Asian.

We are at the Hilton.

The recommendation for Dinesty is heartily seconded. It's walkable from the Hilton - five minutes at a brisk pace. I often stay at the adjacent Sheraton for just this reason. Six large gluttonous gentlemen dined there Friday night *like kings* for less than CAD$160 inclusive of tax, service and beer.

Sticking with Asian in Richmond, I am also a devotee of Fisherman's Terrace for a dim sum luncheon. It is ridiculously good value and the order slip style of service ensures freshness better than cart style. I have never made it there for dinner, but my client's Chinese project manager swears it's excellent. Also walkable from the hotel.

If you like to arrive earlyish to the pier and might be interested in breakfast, it's hard to beat De Dutch Pannekoeken, just under the CCC and Tap & Barrel. Hearty breakfasts with a GREAT view of the water, the park and seaplane operations.

VibeGuy has provided some good suggestions.... Other ideas....

The Hilton is Central Richmond and away from any water. You need to catch a cab to the seaside restaurants. Some ideas....

Edited by xlxo

If you feel like venturing downtown (easily done) Miku Waterfront has been named the number one Japanese restaurant in Vancouver and the food is amazing. Look up the food reviews as this is not your average Japanese restaurant. It is a little bit more expensive, but so worth it in terms of quality, and the view is perfect. Your stronger American dollar will help to keep the prices within range. A reservation is strongly suggested as the restaurant is very popular.

i-kfxh4k8-M.jpg