A food question

garardo

Garardo.....I cannot answer your question of whether the prosciutto is imported or domestic. However, when you get to your table, ask the waiter or the assistant maitre'd in your area and they will tell you. If it is favorable to you, then tell the waiter that you would like to have that served to you each night you have dinner. The couple that we cruise with are of Greek descent and they love Feta cheese. The first night, he tells the waiter that he wants them to serve feta cheese every night, and sure enough, a plate of feta cheese is waiting for us when we sit down to dinner. There is an old saying, "if you don't ask, you don't get". Have a great cruise. ;)

howard6933

It would be easy for anyone to tell me that the ham is Italian. Do you think they would bring out a piece for me to see the stamp? I would hate to have them slice up a plate for us it not be to my liking because it was not Italian. Yes there is a GREAT differance between the Italian and the domestic.

garardo

howard6933

It would be easy for anyone to tell me that the ham is Italian. Do you think they would bring out a piece for me to see the stamp? I would hate to have them slice up a plate for us it not be to my liking because it was not Italian. Yes there is a GREAT differance between the Italian and the domestic.

garardo

I agree, but if you want to see even a greater difference it's between Italian gorgonzola and our domestic product.

G...I have found interesting reading your threads regarding ham and wine. I hate to inform you but I'm afraid you are going to be terribly disappointed with your cruise experience. While the food on X is generally very good, even excellent, it is not a five star restaurant and the food preparation and wine selection is very limited in comparison. The ham you get is probably Hormel right out of the can, the seafood is frozen, steaks too. This is institutionalized food service, no different in many respects to food service in such five star establishments as schools and prisons...done with more care and pizzaz; but institutionalized all the same.

I think you will enjoy the cruise, food and wine, if your expectations and demands are kept reasonable.

While the food on X is generally very good, even excellent, it is not a five star restaurant and the food preparation and wine selection is very limited in comparison.

My intent here is not to argue, but rather to clarify a common misconception. The actual definition of 'five star' in food service terminology goes beyond just how 'good' the food is. Some (a percentage) of any 'five star' rating has to do with preparation. For example, some things are required to be made from scratch.

Celebrity has 'five star' preparation techniques in place. Sauces, soups, breads, ice cream, etc. are all made from scratch. Whether or not the food actually tastes five star quality is subjective. In the same vein there are many restaurants who claim five star status when they do not actually prepare from scratch.

Seabee- LOL!

Seriously though, I doubt it will be prosciutto de Parma. At $20/pound, I would think the cost prohibitive. I can tell the good stuff at 20 paces. Neither will it be canned. On HAL it was available at nearly every meal in the buffet and made several appearances in the dining room. While not Parma it was a very good quality.

howard6933

garardo

Call me confused :confused: , but if the Italian is superior wouldn't you know if it were REALLY Italian but just tasing it, rather than having to actually see the stamp? IMHO it will be harder to find the ripe melon ...

Call me confused :confused: , but if the Italian is superior wouldn't you know if it were REALLY Italian but just tasing it, rather than having to actually see the stamp? IMHO it will be harder to find the ripe melon ...

You are correct. I would lnow the differance. I do not want them to waste the food. If they slice up a plater for the table and it is not Parma ham It will be sent back. You are also correct about the melon. I is like a rock but it will be ripe in a few days if I wait.

garardo

It's going to be domestic ham and not the expensive imported. This is Celebrity and not Crystal or Seabourn. Most people aren't going to have the "refined" palate to be able to tell the difference. While Celebrity is great, it is a mass market line and doesn't provide things in the main dining room like specialty imported Parma.

Most people aren't going to have the "refined" palate to be able to tell the difference.

Hey 'G' I think you should really jump on this one. After all, you ARE sailing celebrity and you have the refined palate. I find it hard to believe that there will only be one among you that does. I would also say probably more than one on other X cruises.

Sheesh!

tbelian, my "refined" palate comment wasn't meant as an insult to anyone, but my take on humor---that's why is was put in quotation marks. I still stand by my assumption that most people wouldn't be able to tell domestic from imported ham. I've been on Crystal/Seabourn/Celebrity and cannot tell what kind of ham any of them served with the melon. So I guess my palate isn't refined by any stretch of the imagination.

Garardo, I would suggest you consider MSC. I am second generation Italian and have spent a lot of time in Italy. The food on MSC was excellent! Fresh pastas and risottos daily, proscuitto di Parma daily upon request. MSC flies in their proscuitto for their Caribbean, an advantage of having the largest cargo fleet in Italy.

The breads were wonderful, the gorgonzola (my nightly dessert) excellent. I can tell you that the gorgonzola on my X cruise 2 weeks ago was unrecognizable. On MSC, I had trippa, parpadelle alla cinghiale, roasted rabbit (the proper name escapes me), polenta, etc. It was the best food I have ever had on a cruise, including Radisson.

Archived