Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

The Drury Inn is a fantastic family hotel. The breakfast and 5:30 kickback can get a little crowded in that hotel but it's still a bargain. Rooms are huge and they have a space designated to hold your luggage pre/post check in/out if you need that.

IIRC, that hotel also has a roof top pool that I'm guessing your daughter would like.

When we stayed there we walked everywhere but we like walking.

We took a taxi from the port to the Drury. I don't remember the cost but it was a normal taxi rate.

With the weight loss, your body is much more efficient without the fat. I too needed less sleep when I lost about 40 pounds. I also had much more energy and woke up feeling great. I know all the rage now is fat shaming is a big no no and you're supposed to feel like a horrible person if you tell a person they should lose weight , but more people should do it instead of fighting it.

Thanks for your response! I always get excited when I get notice that someone has posted! I'm kinda a dork about these things... :)

Yes, I am VERY excited about staying at the Drury! I've got those first two days planned out pretty well while we're there. I was expecting to be able to use the street cars a little more, but from what I've found, we'll be walking most of it. Nothing we want to do is that far, but I know it will be hot. I downloaded the RTA app, it looks like it'll help us decide to walk to ride while we're there-so excited!

For the last day, I chose a different hotel-we're staying at the Marriott there. I did Priceline for it and got it for $89 for the night. I know it wasn't my first choice at the time I did it, but for that price and location, I'll take it without complaint. I can't even remember what my first choice was. I think we'll have a low key day. I think, if I remember correctly, that I planned a Cafe du Monde stop and a walk down "daytime" Bourbon Street. No tours or big plans for this day as I know we'll be exhausted.

I'll all about letting people be beautiful where they are, but for me, it was time for a change. I've got more weight to lose, but I feel so much better. I feel in control. I am stronger. I am proud of the hard work I've put in to reach these goals. I do agree that others would benefit the same if they made the same choice, but it has to be in their time for them. Can't do this for anyone else or you won't stay with it. I'll continue to post as it helps me by staying accountable. The less sleep thing is still wild! I was so tired last night about 11, feel asleep and was wide awake at 6am. Didn't wake up during the night, like I used to always do, and wake up feeling fantastic. Back doesn't hurt, don't snore anymore...it's GREAT!

I love planning!!!! Should have seen my disneyworld trip planning lolol just wanted to give you what we did on that itinerary as far as excursions :)

1. Cozumel: we did the twister boats to Isla Passion (I think that was the name)... all inclusive beach... was AMaZING!!

2. Belize: we did a snorkeling thing but wish we would have done the ruins instead... it was alright but nothing spectacular.

3. Roatan: Our favorite by far on that trip... we didna catamaran snorkeling trip and the snorkeling in Roatan is amazing!! This is one we will absolutely do again!!

We will be doing these same ports again in Aug 2017 on the Breeze out of Galveston. DH and I decided we will repeat our snorkeling in Roatan, Ruins in Belize and maybe do the boats again in Cozumel but we will see on that one :)

Have fun planning!!! I am in planning mode for our one in April to the Mexican Riviera :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love planning!!!! Should have seen my disneyworld trip planning lolol just wanted to give you what we did on that itinerary as far as excursions :)

1. Cozumel: we did the twister boats to Isla Passion (I think that was the name)... all inclusive beach... was AMaZING!!

2. Belize: we did a snorkeling thing but wish we would have done the ruins instead... it was alright but nothing spectacular.

3. Roatan: Our favorite by far on that trip... we didna catamaran snorkeling trip and the snorkeling in Roatan is amazing!! This is one we will absolutely do again!!

We will be doing these same ports again in Aug 2017 on the Breeze out of Galveston. DH and I decided we will repeat our snorkeling in Roatan, Ruins in Belize and maybe do the boats again in Cozumel but we will see on that one :)

Have fun planning!!! I am in planning mode for our one in April to the Mexican Riviera :)

I totally understand...I made a 3 x 5 book, even had it bound, for our DW trip in 2005...I lived by that thing, but you know what, we had a fantastic trip with minimal stress because of it and my research!

I'm really excited about our excursions! In Roatan, we're swimming with dolphins. It was a request from DD. In Belize, we're touring one of the ruins sites. DS is a history buff and very active, he'll love this. In Cozumel, we're doing a parent choice and going to Nachi Cocum. Both our kids love playing in sand (even the 15 year old!) and swimming. We thought it would be a nice, easy, relaxing way to end the cruise. So the first two, very active...the last relaxing.

None of us have ever snorkeled. I know I wouldn't like it, I am weird about my face underwater-I feel claustrophobic. But thought maybe DS and DH could try it out at Nachi Cocum and see if it's something we'll pursue more later. If so, that excursion sounds awesome!

I totally understand...I made a 3 x 5 book, even had it bound, for our DW trip in 2005...I lived by that thing, but you know what, we had a fantastic trip with minimal stress because of it and my research!

I'm really excited about our excursions! In Roatan, we're swimming with dolphins. It was a request from DD. In Belize, we're touring one of the ruins sites. DS is a history buff and very active, he'll love this. In Cozumel, we're doing a parent choice and going to Nachi Cocum. Both our kids love playing in sand (even the 15 year old!) and swimming. We thought it would be a nice, easy, relaxing way to end the cruise. So the first two, very active...the last relaxing.

None of us have ever snorkeled. I know I wouldn't like it, I am weird about my face underwater-I feel claustrophobic. But thought maybe DS and DH could try it out at Nachi Cocum and see if it's something we'll pursue more later. If so, that excursion sounds awesome!

Awesome!!! If you put your trip in this post or ping when you do it, I would love to hear about it. I am DEFINITELY doing the ruins in Belize this time as that is MY thing and they will have to suck it up lol I have regretted it ever since not going lol

There is a restaurant close to the pier that has the BEST food and you sign your names all over it. Really cool to see & do.. and make your own chocolate is close to it. We did both of those after our excursion in Belize.

Awesome!!! If you put your trip in this post or ping when you do it, I would love to hear about it. I am DEFINITELY doing the ruins in Belize this time as that is MY thing and they will have to suck it up lol I have regretted it ever since not going lol

There is a restaurant close to the pier that has the BEST food and you sign your names all over it. Really cool to see & do.. and make your own chocolate is close to it. We did both of those after our excursion in Belize.

Definitely will do a full trip report (and will link here) when we get back. There are so many things that I have searched high and low for, finding outdated information, or not exactly what I'm wanting. Hoping I can help others by posting plans, expectations, and then reality.

I'm the weirdo that takes pictures of food, keeps receipts, posts what I thought we'd spend vs what we did spend, product reviews, all while completely enjoying the time with my family. It's what I do.... :)

Definitely will do a full trip report (and will link here) when we get back. There are so many things that I have searched high and low for, finding outdated information, or not exactly what I'm wanting. Hoping I can help others by posting plans, expectations, and then reality.

I'm the weirdo that takes pictures of food, keeps receipts, posts what I thought we'd spend vs what we did spend, product reviews, all while completely enjoying the time with my family. It's what I do.... :)

No worries... my husband says I rage plan [emoji23][emoji23] so our Disneyworld trip went perfect and came back with almost 800 pics [emoji6]

I am a crazy planner also and would love to see what you found out about Miami. Planning to cruise out of the port in March/April 2018.

I booked a Magic 2017 cruise over a year ago and have been busy planning the whole year.

We're leaving out of NOLA...sorry, no info on Miami!

Next...CLOTHING! I love to plan out all the details of my wardrobe for trips. This one will be even better due to the weight loss. Which, by the way, people are beginning to notice and comment on (YEAH!!! :D)

For the first day...it'll be June (warm), getting up early, on a plane, in an airport, on a plane, then in NOLA...We're flying non Southwest so we'll have real carry ons (packed very carefully-post on that later!) My plan for that day is this...

First, let's talk dress. Mine is not this exact one. Mine is from GAP, sleeveless and has embroidery around the neckline. It will be comfortable, hide those travel stains and wear well. The lightweight knit sweater as planes are usually cold and I just wanted to have it with me on the cruise anyway. These shoes, oh my goodness, Sanuk yoga slides are the BEST! They are comfortable (#1 important thing), they wear well after being wet, they stay on, and they are super cute! My bag, the Lug Promendade...it has a million pockets to keep my organized, it isn't dainty-if it gets coke spilled on it I can wipe it off easily. It's a beautiful color and fit me well. Last, my carryon. I adore this carryon. It's HUGE. All my clothes/shoes will be in here (except for two swim suits and my waterproof hiking/running shoes). It's beautiful and again, wipes clean. It's from Sakroots.

So this is day one. I'll probably add some cute earrings (bevel closure for traveling) but that will be it. Most of my days will look like this. Days that don't will be one of two other options....swim suit and cover up with some water shoes I'll discuss later or Nike shorts, a loose fitting tank, and my trail shoes. There will be the two formals that I've mentioned before. So, looks like 2-3 more fashion posts. And yes, I've heard it...lay it all out, take away half and add half as much cash. I figure if it all fits in my carryon I shouldn't feel too badly. Anyone else plan daily outfits (I know I'm not the only one!)

251998168_blackdress.jpg.7c2fca2129dbd0b76d0d2637cca32a19.jpg

Sweater.jpg.41857e7b655a053d88d4d403316841bd.jpg

Sanuks.jpg.545896da64483ab69c859a0c4f69c134.jpg

bag.jpg.71f060bdb4ad152f7e10480814ac3977.jpg

carryon.jpg.2c204b80bc91005571be131a3d374548.jpg

Next...CLOTHING! I love to plan out all the details of my wardrobe for trips. This one will be even better due to the weight loss. Which, by the way, people are beginning to notice and comment on (YEAH!!! :D)

For the first day...it'll be June (warm), getting up early, on a plane, in an airport, on a plane, then in NOLA...We're flying non Southwest so we'll have real carry ons (packed very carefully-post on that later!) My plan for that day is this...

First, let's talk dress. Mine is not this exact one. Mine is from GAP, sleeveless and has embroidery around the neckline. It will be comfortable, hide those travel stains and wear well. The lightweight knit sweater as planes are usually cold and I just wanted to have it with me on the cruise anyway. These shoes, oh my goodness, Sanuk yoga slides are the BEST! They are comfortable (#1 important thing), they wear well after being wet, they stay on, and they are super cute! My bag, the Lug Promendade...it has a million pockets to keep my organized, it isn't dainty-if it gets coke spilled on it I can wipe it off easily. It's a beautiful color and fit me well. Last, my carryon. I adore this carryon. It's HUGE. All my clothes/shoes will be in here (except for two swim suits and my waterproof hiking/running shoes). It's beautiful and again, wipes clean. It's from Sakroots.

So this is day one. I'll probably add some cute earrings (bevel closure for traveling) but that will be it. Most of my days will look like this. Days that don't will be one of two other options....swim suit and cover up with some water shoes I'll discuss later or Nike shorts, a loose fitting tank, and my trail shoes. There will be the two formals that I've mentioned before. So, looks like 2-3 more fashion posts. And yes, I've heard it...lay it all out, take away half and add half as much cash. I figure if it all fits in my carryon I shouldn't feel too badly. Anyone else plan daily outfits (I know I'm not the only one!)

Tried to fix the typos, but it's been longer than 20 minutes...oh, and my dresses aren't "formal", just nicer... ;)

Nope I don't plan clothes for a cruise lol I have never found a reason to since it is my extreme comfy time lol I take a flowy skirt thing, capri, shorts and mix shirts & tank tops around it lol I learned my lesson after my first cruise :)

Edited by clambert1273

Nope I don't plan clothes for a cruise lol I have never found a reason to since it is my extreme comfy time lol I take a flowy skirt thing, capri, shorts and mix shirts & tank tops around it lol I learned my lesson after my first cruise :)

If I don't plan it out, then I over pack. I remember the first time I visited the Oregon coast...we were there for two weeks and between the four of us had 15 bags...no exaggeration...ridiculous. I ended up wearing the same, favorite things over and over and never wore /used most of what I brought. Planning saves me from having to think about it while I'm there. I know where it is and what I have.

Where I suffer...DD. Her clothes are small so I bring way more than she needs. I'll plan all hers out, too. Now, if i could just get DH to plan. He just keeps throwing clothes at me for me to fold when it's time to pack...

I saw you were going snorkeling. I recommend buying at least your own mask that comes with a snorkel. Maybe because its just me but I got grossed out when I saw how they clean the "community snorkels and masks". I noticed they were all placed in a plastic container and soaked in soap and water. At the end of the summer season I found extremely cheap snorkels and masks for my husband and I at Dicks along with $8 wet suits several years back that we have used and come in handy. I know its one more thing to pack but definitely worth it!!

Also I over pack for these cruises and always end up walking around the ship in sweats and dress up for dinner. Hope this helps.

Yes, will definitely be bringing masks/snorkels for DH and DS...nasty... :eek:

I'm trying to plan it all out so I don't overpack, but DD is the worst for me with this. I always bring her too much. I need to remember that she just needs to be comfortable and have several swim suits. She won't be going with us on our ruins excursion, so she really just needs easy/comfy clothes. Doubt she'll join us in the MDR as she gets way too anxious waiting for food and would ruin it for all. We'll see...

Said I would post an accountability post at the end of the month. So it's been 58 days and I've lost 35 lbs. I'm really happy with that number, just having a hard time not wishing away days. I'll be happy with a 50lb loss for the year, but in all honesty have set my goals for a total of 60 pounds by New Years. Knowing that's another 25 lbs over the holidays really stresses me, but also motivates me. We'll see...

I'll try to post another "what I'm packing" post tonight, but I've been so tired lately. Not sure it will happen. Until next time! :cool:

I'm loving reading your thread. We are going on our first cruise in Jan on the Dream. It will be dh, dd 16, ds 13, and ds turning 11 on the cruise. I am so excited about it that I have already started packing. I do not plan out outfits for myself but I have for the boys. Since I live in WI and it is getting cold here, I had already packed all their summer clothes into packing cubes. Well, yesterday it was almost 70 and today it was mid 60s so I had dig out their shorts for them.

Amy-love that you've already started packing! Honestly, I would...but I'm worried about wrinkles... :) and, since I'm losing weight, gotta be sure what I think will fit will... :) Hope you have a fantastic cruise and am jealous you're going before us! ;)

Time for the accountability....down 39lbs as of this morning. Not sure what happened, but this week the weight really wanted to come off. People are commenting more and more about it and it's awesome! Keeps me moving forward. Really hoping to drop 60lbs before the end of the year, but with all the holidays and activities, we'll see....

Posted my traveling day look. Can't believe no one else plans outfits...I think you secretly do...at least, that's what I'm telling myself.... :)

So, most of the rest of the cruise will be spent in one of three ways....dri fit shorts/loose tank, casual tank dresses, or swim suits/cover ups. I have the dress below in several colors and the exact swimsuit and cover up. The Nike shorts are similar (taking three pairs) and the loose tank is similar as well. Mine has a pocket on the front. I'm taking three of those as well. This is how most of my days will be spent. I will be taking a pair of Sanuk slides, Yellow box flip flops, Salomans (for the ruins and any work out I do) and a pair of water shoes. The Sanuks are good for the tank dresses, the Yellow box are good for my nicer dresses for elegant night, Salomans for the days I wear the Nike outfits, and the water shoes for the beaches, etc. I'm sure I'll find the time to do a post on shoes. I am extremely particular about shoes so a lot of research (and over the years unfortunately money) has done in to that study!

602133366_loosetank.jpg.673a29095d99afc36a651edaa0f6abc8.jpg

236875825_Nikeshorts.jpg.0dd1f17715f7041e78c0b90db8d15742.jpg

879582880_tankdress.jpg.95cf53330fdb013d4e1679c8cdc087f6.jpg

swimsuit.jpg.e83f608cbea4e050f1ed54a7233ee7e1.jpg

Coverup.jpg.5015062c2b7ab558a4d09b814ebcfde6.jpg

If you plan on doing a quite a bit of alcohol drinking everyday than the Cheers package would be worth it. If not I would recommend taking your 12pk of soda that they allow you and order a case of water for the room. From the buffet area you can get tea, coffee, OJ, and water too. My husband and I just got off a 7 day cruise from the Carnival Dream and we really didn't drink everyday like we thought we were.

If you plan on doing a quite a bit of alcohol drinking everyday than the Cheers package would be worth it. If not I would recommend taking your 12pk of soda that they allow you and order a case of water for the room. From the buffet area you can get tea, coffee, OJ, and water too. My husband and I just got off a 7 day cruise from the Carnival Dream and we really didn't drink everyday like we thought we were.

I went ahead and purchased the Cheers package. I did the math on what I thought we'd consume on a land vacation and with the added perks Cheers has now, we easily broke even on port days and exceeded on sea days. I decided that since it's our first cruise, we'll go for it, order what we want and see if at the end we came out ahead. I really like not having a bill at the end, so that is a factor as well. Much easier to plan and budget for things a year ahead of time!

So quick update for those who haven't read all the rambling posts...the following are decisions that have been made and paid for...

Decided to fly-found a deal out of our local small airport that was too good to pass up

Decided to try Cheers-with the added benefits, we think we'll easily break even and come out ahead most days

Belize-Doing the Carnival excursion to the Altun Ha ruins

Roatan-Doing the Carnival excursion to Anthony's Key Resort for the Dolphin Active Swim (only 8 people total)

Cozumel-going to Nachi Cocum

I am so flipping excited I can hardly stand it! Thanks for going along with me on this journey. Not really sure what I have left to plan. But maybe I'll go through some of my planning processes and how I keep organized. I know you all want to know about my daily itinerary envelopes.... :p

I'm cruising on the Dream in April and I always think about what I'm going to pack mentally. For example soon I will hit the mall to see what formal dresses have been marked down from the homecoming season. I usually find the best deals after prom, but I slipped this year and didn't look!

By the time my cruise or any vacay rolls around I know exactly what I'm packing the night before but always end up grabbing too many extras in fear of not having enough clothes!

This is a phenomenal thread. Typically I'm in your boat and book a cruise 400+ days out (my DH will only cruise once every two years). But I just talked my sister into a March 2017 cruise on the Dream this week and I know nothing about the Dream, cruising from New Orleans, and it's been over two years since I thought about Carnival...so this thread has helped kick off my expedited planning pace. So much good information in one place!

This is a phenomenal thread. Typically I'm in your boat and book a cruise 400+ days out (my DH will only cruise once every two years). But I just talked my sister into a March 2017 cruise on the Dream this week and I know nothing about the Dream, cruising from New Orleans, and it's been over two years since I thought about Carnival...so this thread has helped kick off my expedited planning pace. So much good information in one place!

Aww shucks, thanks! I LOVE to do all the research and plan every detail. I can even tell you what we're having for breakfast the day we leave...but I know a lot of people don't enjoy it. I have had a little bit of a hard time tracking down some things, so I plan to do an in depth, day by day review when I come back. It will be after dry dock and I expect a few changes that people will be curious about. And hey, if not, it's still a fun way for me to document what I planned vs what actually happened.

Today I went looking for a few apps that might be helpful. There were a couple for New Orleans that I downloaded that I thought might be helpful and then one with the deck plans for the Dream. I hope they update that one after dry dock, because I think it would be nice to have that in the palm of your hand. I haven't had a chance to really look at them-was at a BORING conference and was looking for something to pass the time. You might look into them-I'll post more about them when I've had a chance to really look.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Down 43 lbs...rough week, crazy busy and stressful week, but it is still coming off...Not sure if I'll hit another 17 lbs by end of the year, but that's okay...it's a marathon for sure, not a sprint.

Organizing myself...I've make 3x5 bound books, I've had itineraries on my phone, lists, etc. This time, envelopes. Each day has what we'll be doing and inside is the exact cash we need for specific activities, printed menus for that day, confirmation emails, etc. I wanted to be sure to have exact change and the tip I wanted to have handy in the exact bills. I also didn't want to carry extra cash around. I'll only have that amount of cash in the beginning. When we go into port, I'll just have that cash for the day. So, each day of our vacation has an envelope. On it, I printed the plan with time and confirmation numbers and included all necessary documentation inside. Obviously we'll have a card as well, if needed. But I like to work on a cash basis, especially when in port. I've been filling them weekly, so they are in my safe at work, but when I can, I'll take a picture and post what I'm trying to describe. Hoping this keeps us organized and stress free!

How do you stay organized daily?

• 2 weeks later...