Pride Of America Planning

Grampyshottub

For the overnight ports:

There are shuttle buses at the pier for each rental line that take you to the pickup location. It's a bit of a wait so go early and bring your patience.

In Maui, the parking situation seemed difficult and we had booked the Old Lahaina Luau the first night so decided to just book a hotel in town. We stayed at a historic Inn in Lahaina - The Pioneer Inn. It was about $225. To The hotel was very quaint. Not luxury but very pretty, clean and totally worth it - didn't want to have to worry about the drive back.

We spent the day at Kanaapali Beach then headed to our hotel, did a bit of shopping and went to the Luau - FABULOUS.. It was like being at a big old Hawaiian BBQ. Then back to the hotel and off to bed. We did Haleakala at sunrise the next morning so up ridiculously early (2:30 am), then we did part of the Road to Hana. Haleakala was stunning and very moving - an experience we will never forget. Highly, highly recommend it but do your research first. You need to be prepared.

RTH we got up to about mile marker 58 - 60 (?). It was beautiful and we saw plenty, I'm glad we did it - had no desire to do the whole thing as it basically takes all day just to get to Hana. Plus, we had read that the roads were washed out somewhere along the way toward the end. It was a very ambitious plan so we were pretty exhausted but felt completely fulfilled - it was just right for us.

Definitely not for the faint of heart - the drive to Haleakala is challenging in the dark and RTH can be scary at parts. My husband drove - I kept dozing off and would wake up just at a hair pin turn. Ackk! I would not advise to do both drives in one day with children or the elderly. Again, it was pretty ambitious, Dropped the car off about 4 and back to the ship.

In Kauai, we took a shuttle (not very organized, REALLY bring your patience here) to pick up the car. On our way back after our first day we parked at the Anchor Cove Plaza (?) -parking was $20 - and it was very close to the pier. If you miss it you end up at the pier, so just turn around and it's on the right side (Umm yes maybe we did miss it the first time).

We did Blue Hawaiian Eco/helicopter tour the first day. Another trip of a lifetime experience. I was so nervous for weeks after I booked this. I am not a huge fan of flying. But once on board felt very safe and comfortable. Words cannot describe how awesome it was. So glad we did it and worth every penny.

We took the shuttle back the first night, and walked back in the morning as the shuttle didn't start until about 9 and we were up early to go to Waimea Canyon.

I must have read your review five times greatlakes girl, thanks very much. And also thanks to smjbruce. Both very helpful and entertaining! I'm back online planning my January cruise and couldn't resist popping onto the POA board, I am so doing this trip again one day!

I was wondering if there was time to do this drive. How many hours did you take? Can you return to the ship at any time?

Thank you for entertaining our questions!

Sorry for the late reply. We took 6-7 hours but made plenty of stops including lunch and swim. My husband has done the drive twice now and doesn't find it stressful even though it is driving on the wrong side for us Aussies. We loved it the second time as much as the first. There is so much to see!

You can return to the ship at any time.

For the overnight ports:

There are shuttle buses at the pier for each rental line that take you to the pickup location. It's a bit of a wait so go early and bring your patience.

In Maui, the parking situation seemed difficult and we had booked the Old Lahaina Luau the first night so decided to just book a hotel in town. We stayed at a historic Inn in Lahaina - The Pioneer Inn. It was about $225. To The hotel was very quaint. Not luxury but very pretty, clean and totally worth it - didn't want to have to worry about the drive back.

We spent the day at Kanaapali Beach then headed to our hotel, did a bit of shopping and went to the Luau - FABULOUS.. It was like being at a big old Hawaiian BBQ. Then back to the hotel and off to bed. We did Haleakala at sunrise the next morning so up ridiculously early (2:30 am), then we did part of the Road to Hana. Haleakala was stunning and very moving - an experience we will never forget. Highly, highly recommend it but do your research first. You need to be prepared.

RTH we got up to about mile marker 58 - 60 (?). It was beautiful and we saw plenty, I'm glad we did it - had no desire to do the whole thing as it basically takes all day just to get to Hana. Plus, we had read that the roads were washed out somewhere along the way toward the end. It was a very ambitious plan so we were pretty exhausted but felt completely fulfilled - it was just right for us.

Definitely not for the faint of heart - the drive to Haleakala is challenging in the dark and RTH can be scary at parts. My husband drove - I kept dozing off and would wake up just at a hair pin turn. Ackk! I would not advise to do both drives in one day with children or the elderly. Again, it was pretty ambitious, Dropped the car off about 4 and back to the ship.

In Kauai, we took a shuttle (not very organized, REALLY bring your patience here) to pick up the car. On our way back after our first day we parked at the Anchor Cove Plaza (?) -parking was $20 - and it was very close to the pier. If you miss it you end up at the pier, so just turn around and it's on the right side (Umm yes maybe we did miss it the first time).

We did Blue Hawaiian Eco/helicopter tour the first day. Another trip of a lifetime experience. I was so nervous for weeks after I booked this. I am not a huge fan of flying. But once on board felt very safe and comfortable. Words cannot describe how awesome it was. So glad we did it and worth every penny.

We took the shuttle back the first night, and walked back in the morning as the shuttle didn't start until about 9 and we were up early to go to Waimea Canyon.

Hello! Thanks for all the good information. We are thinking of doing a lot of the same things. May I ask you a couple of questions?

Re: Haleakala - Could you elaborate on what you mean about doing the research first? I'm a big researcher but I'm just wondering if there is something tricky that I might miss.

Re: Kanaapali Beach - do you (or anyone) recall if there are any kind of public showers here or anywhere else near Lahaina where we could get cleaned up for the luau. We would like to rent a car and spend the day in the area then go to the luau that night without going back to the ship.

Thank you!

The ship was just out of dry dock and all the area's that we went thru were looking good. We had good dinners in Cagney's and Teppanyaki, we did not enjoy our dinner at Jefferson's Bistro. We did not eat in the dinning room but eat all of our other meals in the buffet, which was good.https://goo.gl/photos/Z7KjbZ4Ua687XScV7

Oh my goodness, just beautiful!!