Getting to the British Open in Ayr

nicelypub@aol.com

Go to your Roll Call for your specific cruise. There must be lots of talk about this on there, and you can enter into the discussions about it. Perhaps there are already shuttles planned by either the cruise line or individuals. Best way to make plans is your Roll Call. It's getting kind of close to your sailing and I would imagine a lot of this has been in place for quite awhile but it will never hurt to jump on in!

I take it you would be visiting the Open on the Saturday, the day the ship is at Ayr. Ayr is not far from Troon and their will be local transport available. We stayed in troon a few years ago and I recall that a taxi from Ayr to Troon was around £20 one way. Traffic will be very busy.

I would strongly suggest buying a ticket beforehand as there may be none left, especially for the Saturday. They are available at http://www.theopen.com/Tickets.

Celebrity will probably have excursions to there which would be safer if you do not want to buy tickets in advance. although you would have to purchase the ship excursion, probably in advance.

You will be aware that you are tendering at Ayr and that the sea in that area can be rough. The ship excursion covers you for that.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

The Open website will give you all the info on how to get to the course. Taxi may not be your best option the traffic will be horrendous, if the ship is organising a trip it may be easier to do that then at least you know you will get back to the ship. Like a previous poster said you need to buy your ticket in advance. Hope the weather gods behave themselves this year although it did mean we got an extra day at St Andrews although we were a bit bedraggled :)

Hi

Day tickets for the Saturday ARE always available at the multiple entrance points round the course. Saturday is a great day - moving day.

Quickest route to Troon will be train. There is a regular service but they always operate extra trains. Leaving the train board the special buses which take you direct to the course although it is walkable.

Enjoy. Troon is a great viewing course unlike St Andrews.

My favourite viewing points on the course are at the Postage Stamp hole (no 8) or I used to sit on the grass at the long 16th (Par 5 )and watch groups of players go through.

Annie

We are booked on the Silhouette for the British Open cruise. Does anybody know if there will be readily available ground transportation at the port to get us to the course? We are planning on buying general admission tickets when we get there.

If you decide on the train, you will have about a mile to walk from the harbour to Ayr station. Ayr station is the start of the line and trains to Troon leave every 20 minutes, cost is about £5 return. Troon is 4 stops and 10 minutes up the coast where you will have the option of a 1 mile walk to the course or access the special coaches provided by Scot Rail to the golf (you can purchase these at Ayr station).

Both walks are pleasant, no hills and on good surfaces.