Be careful what you pack

jdymiller

X's new policy about moving luggage to the airport sounds great--but it increases the chance for loss. We found out the hard way that X doesn't really care after the cruise--can't get lost luggage forms, return calls, etc. AND they're only liable for $300. If you've packed a tux, or evening wear, you've had it. Oh, yes, you can go to your homeowners if you want to increase your insurance there.

We're Elite members and have had only good things to say about X until this luggage incident in Vancouver. If we sail again, I think we will try to carry on our own bags.

There is a new, no charge service if you buy X transportation in Vancouver--they will take your luggage to the airport and you can pick it up there. You travel on their bus without it and it comes on a separate X bus. Ship to airport in a controlled area. That means someone on X stole it as we saw the bus arrive and unload.

There is a new, no charge service if you buy X transportation in Vancouver--they will take your luggage to the airport and you can pick it up there. You travel on their bus without it and it comes on a separate X bus. Ship to airport in a controlled area. That means someone on X stole it as we saw the bus arrive and unload.

Sorry, to hear about your lost luggage. Hope it shows up and if not you'll be fully compensated by Celebrity.

Thanks, for the tip. We had the same option just coming off the Mercury in Seattle. DH, wasn't comfortable with it and I guess his instincts were "correct" after reading what you just posted.

Princess lost our luggage once and it wasn't the way we wanted to end our cruise. Hope it all works out.

Happy Sailings! :)

That means someone on X stole it as we saw the bus arrive and unload.

Uhm... no. A quick check on the Internet shows that port uses union labor, as do most ports. So, the ships using the port are subject to the local labor agreements and longshoremen/casuals would be the ones that take the luggage in racks off the ship, across the docks, and into the terminal processing area, where it is unloaded from the racks by terminal labor for processing by customs. In short, there is plenty of time when the luggage is out of the line's control. Part of real-world life -- the lines have to deal with local labor regulations just like any other maritime company. In addition of course the buses and their staff are most likely not Celebrity, but simply local contractors. By the way, just because an item was lost, it wasn't necessarily stolen.

As far as the limits on liability for luggage, this was clearly spelled out in the cruise contract you received. It's $300, unless you declare the value of the items in writing, and pay a fee of 5% of the value over $300, before you embark on the cruise. Even then there are exceptions for certain items. Even if you didn't read the contract, it should be common knowledge to experienced travelers that every carrier -- airlines, cruise, railroads, etc -- put this sort of limit on their liability into their contracts.

As adults, we should understand that if we are in possessions of items of value, the reasonable and responsible action is to assure you are properly covered in the event of their loss. This can be done easily by purchasing the appropriate trip insurance with adequate coverage for your luggage. When I travel, I actually have two insurance policies in effect for my items -- the usual trip insurance with sufficient coverage for my clothes, personal items and such, and a separate policy to cover my camera gear and other electronics, because their value far outstrips most available trip insurance.

If you purchased the right trip insurance, you have no need to worry about your homeowner's coverage. If you didn't, then you think Celebrity is being unreasonable because you didn't take the necessary steps to cover your property?

:confused:

We purchased cruise/air so had the transfers to the airport already included in the fare, but had to pay $20 each for the US Direct at Vancouver (you could only buy the US Direct to bypass the long lines at the airport if you had the transfers already). You got checked in for your flight right on the ship, and handled no luggage at all. I was unaware that they did the same thing free at any port. With US Direct we did not have to claim our baggage at the Vancouver airport. Didn't see the luggage from the last night when we placed it in the hall until we arrived in Atlanta. Is that different than what you called "free"?

Archived