Anchorage to Seward: Upgrade to include Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

shawnk1963

This is our first trip to Alaska and we'll be on the HAL D7L Cruise Tour / Southbound Cruise out of Seward this July and we have the option to upgrade our Anchorage to Seward leg to include the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise when we arrive in Seward. This involves leaving Anchorage on a Motor Coach that would arrive in Seward around 10:30 and then we'd be on the 11:30 Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise. The cost is $176. I read great things about the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise, but my dilemma is that I'd like to see Seward, too.

What do you think about this upgrade compared to just taking the Motor Coach that's included in the package and would arrive in Seward around 3:00, boarding the ship and then leaving the ship to just walk around Seward for an hour or so?

The Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise is 6 hours so it would be back by 5:30. Would we have any time to see Seward for a bit before we check in and / board the ship? The ship is scheduled to depart at 8:00.

I've been reading the great advice on so many topics on this Alaska board like crazy.....I'm wearing out the Search button. :)

Thank you!

Edited by shawnk1963

I would take the upgrade. Seward is a very nice little town, but I think you are much more likely to see some interesting wildlife on the fjords cruise that you will not see from your ship or the ports. It is pretty special. there is a very nice little aquarium in Seward, but it is mostly a port town.....I go on that Fjords trip every year and every year it is different.....

Seward is kinda divided into 2 sections.... the harbor, and downtown. Both areas have shops and restaurants.

- The cruise ship pier is next to the small boat harbor and the harbor is where the Kenai Fjord boat tours are located and where all the fishing boats come and go.

- Downtown is about 1 1/2 miles away and that's where you find the Sealife Center.

There is a waterfront trail that runs from the harbor all the way to the sealife center. It's an easy flat walk ... often you see otters playing just off shore, and bald eagles, and on a nice day a great view across to the mtns and glaciers.

If you disembark the kenai cruise at 5:30 you'll be right at the harbor and next door to the pier so you will have about an hour to wander around the harbor area. But if you want to do more than that, you need to skip the kenai trip. Find out when exactly you need to be onboard.

It's only a decision you can make, totally dependent on your interests and priorities.

I WILL add ... the Kenai cruise is awesome if you have decent weather. The wildlife sightings ... seabirds, bald eagles, mountain goats, sealions, and often whales are incredible. The highlight for me was when the boat parked in front of the glacier and we listened to it creak and crack and finally calve. OTOH I've gone on the cruise TWICE when the weather was crappy and the tour was downgraded to a Bay tour which I found boring. So based on my experience I'd be hesitant to book the tour ahead of time. I'd wait and see how the weather is .... even on a good day there's a rough stretch when the boat enters the Gulf of Alaska so you want decent weather (and meds).

So that's my 2 cents. maybe 5 cents!

p.s. this youtube video from the Seward Chamber of commerce provides a good aerial view of the town and helps you get your bearings. The 1st part is for Lowell Point but the town starts around 1:40.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

mapleleaves, I created another thread to ask this question but was hoping you might answer here-- can you compare the kenai fjords cruise to the PWS suprise glacier cruise? My priority is sea otter (and other wildlife) watching.

mapleleaves, Thank you for all the info and suggestions on the Kenai Fjords tour and Seward! Yes 3 days for land......Denali is short and no the Natural History Tour is not included so what we do there is up to us. We ride the motor coach to Denali from Fairbanks so I'm leaning toward the ATV / Husky Homestead combo because we don't want to do anymore bus riding that day. What do you think about that idea? We ride the train to Anchorage the next day.

Thank you too laughing husky!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Denali is short and no the Natural History Tour is not included so what we do there is up to us. We ride the motor coach to Denali from Fairbanks so I'm leaning toward the ATV / Husky Homestead combo because we don't want to do anymore bus riding that day. What do you think about that idea? We ride the train to Anchorage the next day.

The drive from Fairbanks to Denali is only 2 1/2 hrs!

I don't even need a second to consider that choice ... Denali hands down! The scenery and wildlife are awesome. If you arrive by noon you could take an afternoon shuttle to Toklat which is the beginning of prime bear country. Yes, it's 3 hrs each way but for the scenery and wildlife, I'd gladly spend 6 hrs on a bus .... and I have, almost a dozen times!

But it's your trip so if dogs and ATV's are your interest ... go for it.

As for Seward, will they allow you to take the early bus even if you don't commit to the kenai cruise? Otherwise take the train, arriving at 11am and very scenic. Your bags will go directly to the ship. If it's a decent day, hop on a Kenai or Major Marine boat and do the kenai cruise; otherwise wander around the harbor and town.

I can tell you about Husky Homestead....I think that it is the best sled dog demonstration and talk in Alaska.....Jeff does a wonderful talk about raising and training dogs and racing. He has a great kennel....the ATV tours...there are a couple in that area. I have a friend who will be doing some guiding on one of the ATV tours...his wife will be running the zip line this summer...not sure where the tours will go really, but being out on an ATV is fun if you have never done it before...I think that going back into Denali would be a priority but I have to agree, it is a long bus ride, but it seems strange to go there and not see any of it...

The drive from Fairbanks to Denali is only 2 1/2 hrs!

I don't even need a second to consider that choice ... Denali hands down! The scenery and wildlife are awesome. If you arrive by noon you could take an afternoon shuttle to Toklat which is the beginning of prime bear country. Yes, it's 3 hrs each way but for the scenery and wildlife, I'd gladly spend 6 hrs on a bus .... and I have, almost a dozen times!

But it's your trip so if dogs and ATV's are your interest ... go for it.

As for Seward, will they allow you to take the early bus even if you don't commit to the kenai cruise? Otherwise take the train, arriving at 11am and very scenic. Your bags will go directly to the ship. If it's a decent day, hop on a Kenai or Major Marine boat and do the kenai cruise; otherwise wander around the harbor and town.

Thanks mapleleaves!

For Denali: I have in my notes that we're supposed to arrive in Denali between 1:00 and 1:30. If that's the case, do you think we'd be able to get started on the shuttle bus by 2:30? Do you know how late the shuttle buses run? I've read several threads and trip report sections about the shuttle bus vs. the Tundra Wilderness Tour so I pretty much say I have a 'basic high level understanding' on how they work.

I was thinking the Denali ATV's "Denali Wilderness Adventure" would go into Denali, but maybe not. I will call them to ask more about it.

The train upgrade is $60 for Anchorage to Seward and I show in my notes it leaves Anchorage around 12 noon and arrives in Seward around 5:00. I'll call and double check that.

For Seward: I don't think we can take the early bus unless we're signed up for the upgrade. I'm thinking I asked HAL shore excursions about that, but will double check. If we can't, I'll ask how late we can sign up for that upgrade and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

I can tell you about Husky Homestead....I think that it is the best sled dog demonstration and talk in Alaska.....Jeff does a wonderful talk about raising and training dogs and racing. He has a great kennel....the ATV tours...there are a couple in that area. I have a friend who will be doing some guiding on one of the ATV tours...his wife will be running the zip line this summer...not sure where the tours will go really, but being out on an ATV is fun if you have never done it before...I think that going back into Denali would be a priority but I have to agree, it is a long bus ride, but it seems strange to go there and not see any of it...

Thanks laughing husky! I'd love to go to Husky Homestead, but the last tour is at 7:00 and if don't arrive until 1:00 - 1:30 and we do the shuttle bus riding for 6 hours, we won't be able to make it. I'm going to call Denali ATVs and ask them more about where we go and what we see on the Denali Wilderness Adventure tour. If we did that, we'd do 3:00 ATV and 7:00 Husky Homestead. Decisions Decisions......

Thanks mapleleaves!

For Denali: I have in my notes that we're supposed to arrive in Denali between 1:00 and 1:30. If that's the case, do you think we'd be able to get started on the shuttle bus by 2:30? Do you know how late the shuttle buses run? I've read several threads and trip report sections about the shuttle bus vs. the Tundra Wilderness Tour so I pretty much say I have a 'basic high level understanding' on how they work.

I was thinking the Denali ATV's "Denali Wilderness Adventure" would go into Denali, but maybe not. I will call them to ask more about it.

The train upgrade is $60 for Anchorage to Seward and I show in my notes it leaves Anchorage around 12 noon and arrives in Seward around 5:00. I'll call and double check that.

For Seward: I don't think we can take the early bus unless we're signed up for the upgrade. I'm thinking I asked HAL shore excursions about that, but will double check. If we can't, I'll ask how late we can sign up for that upgrade and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

If it's the same ATV company that I used 3 years ago (and danged if I can remember the name), they don't technically go into Denali Park (couldn't anyway). The area that they do use the ATVs is actually surrounded by Denali Park on 3 sides. The area was once privately owned and the owner was drilling oil on the site (I hope I'm remembering this right). When they wanted to form the National Park, he refused to sell, so they formed the park around him. We did a Midnight ATV ride and it was so much fun! I know we saw some different rock formations and drove through dry river beds (YMMV depending on weather conditions - it was extremely hot and dry the summer we were there).

I would also recommend the Kenai Fjords tour. As I said, when we were there it was very sunny, hot and dry (although we woke to rain the day we boarded the ship) and so the tour was very smooth. My youngest loves otters and we saw some before we ever left the bay. It was an awesome trip - hearing a glacier calving (missed that at Hubbard Glacier because we weren't able to get close enough), seeing otters, orcas, humpbacks, kitti wakes, seals, sea lions, eagles, puffins - and probably some I'm missing. Wildlife bonanza!

Edited by olemissreb

I just can't imagine going to Denali and not getting into the park. If it is like last year, the shuttle from McKinley Chalet hotel runs every hour. If you return after 7pm you need to make arrangements before you leave for a special pickup at $5/person. In July last year a shuttle to Toklat departed at 3pm. There was also one departing the WAC at 5pm. Not sure about this year. But it would be WELL worth your time to do this.

If you really wanted to do Husky Homestead, you could do that the next morning. They have a morning tour that gets you back in time for the train.