Southwest carry-on limits: how strict?

Kellie in Texas

Need some info from recent Southwest flyers. The carry-on baggage size maximum (according to the Southwest web site) is 10 x 16 x 24 inches. We have a bag that we wanted to carry on that is one inch larger on one of those dimensions, but an inch or two smaller on the other dimensions (and I can't remember now which was the larger dimension). Will we be able to carry that bag on or should we plan to check it? It is a soft-sided duffle bag type suitcase with a hard bottom. We fly this Friday (Oct. 21). Thanks for the info. Kellie in Texas

You'll be fine. They're not that strict. They only make you check in if it's REALLY obvious that it's not a carryon. I've seen people try and bring aboard garment bags, full size suitcases, huge cardboard boxes, etc. They're actually more lenient than I would like. But, as long as everyone has room for their carryon, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the replies. I've only watched a few minutes of the "Airline" show because I pretty much have little use for these "reality" type shows, so I agree that they're going to show the ends of the spectrum, so to speak, of what really goes on. However, I did remember another small duffle bag that we have which will definitely fit as a carry-on, so we'll probably check both of the bigger suitcases and take this smaller duffle. This is our first cruise, so I'm sure I'm violating the "take half as many clothes and twice as much money" rule that veteran cruisers have! ;) I'm looking forward to being a cruise veteran myself. Thanks. Kellie in Texas

I've seen SW recently start enforcing their baggage rules - especially the carryon as a lot of the planes are flying full and the overhead space is getting tight. I've also seen them charge if your checked baggage is overweight or oversized - they used to be pretty lenient about the checked bags.

When in doubt, check it. My firm uses Southwest for business. Last time I flew was a couple months ago. It prolly depends on how full the plane is, but of the smaller airports like Burbank, Oakland, John Wayne (Orange County), they haven't been very strict at all. They let one of the senior attorneys take his FAT garment bag aboard.

My duffle bag doesn't fit in that tiny slot they have out that shows the proper dimensions and I've never been stopped for it. In my personal experience, it seems that as long as it'll fit in the overhead compartment opening, they will let it on if it's not too crowded.

That's why you should try and get in the A group. They seem to start enforcing it after the plane starts filling up which means the C group gets the shaft in terms of how much they can get away with.

Archived