how long does HAL usually take to respond to complaints ?

Lovely other

In all the years and our many cruises, I don't ythink we ever wrote Hqqal Q COMPLAINTR LETTEr

Sail I have read your posts for many years and have valued your advice to fellow cruisers, but I just want to remind you that complaints coming from cabins on the Navigation deck where the "elite" have cabins are handled far quicker and more efficiently than complaints which come from any other deck on a Hal ship.

Not that I am not happy that you never had a complaint. But others have and they have a right to write a letter to the "powers that be" if their problem isn't solved while onboard.

I came on this thread because I saw it concerned responses to complaints. Well here is something interesting. We recently had a less than stellar cruise on Amsterdam and I made a remark here on cc about it after my review was referenced in another member's post. Then someone told me to post my "adventure" on Hal's FB page. (I hope this allowed to say fb here) anyway I went to fb and looked around. Didn't see anyplace to post any problems. Then I came across a HAL thread that said. "share your holiday experiences on a HAL ship with hal" or something like that. I thought how appropriate. As I read down I saw all the comments about how wonderful their holiday cruise had been, blah, blah, blah!!! (don't get me wrong I am happy that all the people posting had a wonderful holiday, but the cruise we did on Amsterdam ranks as our least favorite HAL cruise.) Anyway I posted our experiences. Actually it is pretty depressing even now just thinking about it. Other than New Year's Eve which was a hoot!! Anyway someone from HAL actually responded and told me to write an e-mail to Guest relations. I sat down and wrote an e-mail to HAL's guest relation. (I actually felt better after I did it.) I'll post if and when I get an answer.

The point I am trying to make here is that someone at HAL actually took the time to reply to my complaint and though it won't change the past maybe it will change the future.

Less than a week. Of course, I sent mine via US Mail with a return receipt request. It costs more and is more of an effort, but it's truly the only way to go, IMHO. Mine was because a sport coat and tuxedo vest accidentally got sent through the regular laundry and dried on the Noordam. The ship is only authorized to reimburse $100. The items cost much more than that, and we keep our receipts. I had a favorable outcome and received full reimbursement for the garments.

If you want the best outcome, put your letter in hard mail and make them sign for it. It's hard to ignore something that has a paper trail. Good luck.

I came on this thread because I saw it concerned responses to complaints. Well here is something interesting. We recently had a less than stellar cruise on Amsterdam and I made a remark here on cc about it after my review was referenced in another member's post. Then someone told me to post my "adventure" on Hal's FB page. (I hope this allowed to say fb here) anyway I went to fb and looked around. Didn't see anyplace to post any problems. Then I came across a HAL thread that said. "share your holiday experiences on a HAL ship with hal" or something like that. I thought how appropriate. As I read down I saw all the comments about how wonderful their holiday cruise had been, blah, blah, blah!!! (don't get me wrong I am happy that all the people posting had a wonderful holiday, but the cruise we did on Amsterdam ranks as our least favorite HAL cruise.) Anyway I posted our experiences. Actually it is pretty depressing even now just thinking about it. Other than New Year's Eve which was a hoot!! Anyway someone from HAL actually responded and told me to write an e-mail to Guest relations. I sat down and wrote an e-mail to HAL's guest relation. (I actually felt better after I did it.) I'll post if and when I get an answer.

The point I am trying to make here is that someone at HAL actually took the time to reply to my complaint and though it won't change the past maybe it will change the future.

It's been my experience that they do reply to the complaints posted on there.

Sail I have read your posts for many years and have valued your advice to fellow cruisers, but I just want to remind you that complaints coming from cabins on the Navigation deck where the "elite" have cabins are handled far quicker and more efficiently than complaints which come from any other deck on a Hal ship.

Not that I am not happy that you never had a complaint. But others have and they have a right to write a letter to the "powers that be" if their problem isn't solved while onboard.

On the newer ships the more expensive cabins and not on the navigation deck.

I certainly hope the OP gets an answer. There is no reason to have received such treatment.

The complaint as you explained is absolutely deplorable, and even more deplorable is that no one on the ship dealt with it at the time.

Posting on HAL's facebook page will get you the standard response from "Holland America Line" which will be "we are sorry to hear of your experience, please write to our Guest Relations Department". But, by airing it there you will be assured of a speedy response. Trust me on that - I know.;) Copy your email to officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

Edited by Lizzie68

I just emailed Guest Relations yesterday with a formal letter attached. I copied the email to Orlando Ashford and my PCC. I started the letter with compliments to the crew, mentioning many by name. I went on to itemize the issues we had on our cruise. I have found that Ashford's office will forward letters to Guest Relations anyway, but it doesn't hurt that they know his office is aware of a problem. I'll advise this thread when I hear back.

On the newer ships the more expensive cabins and not on the navigation deck.

I certainly hope the OP gets an answer. There is no reason to have received such treatment.

sorry, I haven't cruised on the newer ships. But I think the meaning is the same on them as well as on the older ships (which I prefer).

I just emailed Guest Relations yesterday with a formal letter attached. I copied the email to Orlando Ashford and my PCC. I started the letter with compliments to the crew, mentioning many by name. I went on to itemize the issues we had on our cruise. I have found that Ashford's office will forward letters to Guest Relations anyway, but it doesn't hurt that they know his office is aware of a problem. I'll advise this thread when I hear back.

If you have a valid and serious complaint (as does the OP) Ashford's office definitely gets involved and resolves it fast. You will get a file number and daily emails until resolution.

Perhaps you should complain to the Italian government. They should instruct their men to be more sensitive.

Is that a joke? I hope so. Otherwise, I have to suspect you have no sisters, daughters, female friends, or female partner, or you might be a bit more sensitive to the issue. Whether or not you believe it, this is a real problem that women face regularly. Catcalling, commenting, regardless of the language being spoken. :mad:

First, who is Ashford?

Several years ago, we had a terrible cruise and many issues. I wrote to guest relations and received a prompt reply and compensation.

They do listen when there is a valid complaint.

When my daughter was younger, she applied for a job at a catering establishment. The owner took her through the kitchen and the Hispanic workers made several disparaging remarks. In her best Spanish, my daughter replied to them. Boy, were they embarrassed.

I agree Cow Princess but doubt that a complaint to the Govt. would do any good.. Perhaps a complaint to Franceri or the company who supplies the workers would be appropriate..

>snip<

I just want to clarify that is wasn't me who suggested contacting the government :eek: :)

Those workers should, imho, have to watch while their mothers, sisters, daughters and wives are rudely and loudly harassed by other men. Maybe that'd give them pause, the next time they felt the need to do it to another woman :mad:

Sadly times have changed with HAL, there was a time for myself that I never ever had a complaint, I can honestly say that my last three HAL cruises just continued to have more and more problems. Overall I find the difference in what is happening is with the crew and how they want to handle it on board. Such is the case by Lovely other, it was the fact the crew did not handle the problem appropriately. Granted the Italian workers should not have done what they did but HAL's response to me would be the problem.

First, who is Ashford?...............

Orlando Ashford, the president of HAL, who took over from Stein Kruse, who is now CEO of Holland America Group (which comprises HAL, Princess, Seabourn, P & O Australia, and all Alaska land-based operations and infrastructure for both Princess and HAL).

Edited by middle-aged mom

How serious is the issue about which you have complain? TO ,HAL stqff/crew?

Her issue was very serious. If you didn't think so perhaps you should have not replied. It came across as incredibly insensitive and rude....

Just to clarify the cause for my complaint isn't service related, even though at times that left a lot to be desired. The issue is that I was constantly ridiculed and harassed by the contractors onboard ... My Italian may be a little rusty but I understand enough to know when I'm being called fat and being laughed at. I like to walk the decks a lot especially during sail away and at one point they were fixing something at the front of deck 3 so I had to cut though the inside rather than walking around as each time I passed they would laugh and make derogatory remarks ... I ended up in tears and although both the front desk and security said they would deal with it I ended up being fobbed off with "it's because they're Italian". I lived and worked in Naples so I know how Italian men can be but I don't think I should have to deal with it on my holiday ....
Edited by alwaysfrantic

For the sake of clarity I think it's good to provide accurate information. While you may be familiar with hal ships others may not.

It was notHAL crreewwho were making those comments. HAL crew are not responsible for GTHE COMMENTS MADE VBYINDEPENDENT CONGTRACTORS.How serious an issue is that to HAL staff/crew? That wasz my question notaddressed.

Edited by sail7seas

It was notAL crreewwho were making those comments. HAL crew are not responsible for GTHE COMMENTS MADE VBYINDEPENDENT CONGTRACTORS.How serious an issue is that to HAL staff/crew? That wasz my question notaddressed.

I was speaking of the decks where the more expensive cabins are. My comment didn't have anything to do with what the op reported.

It was notHAL crreewwho were making those comments. HAL crew are not responsible for GTHE COMMENTS MADE VBYINDEPENDENT CONGTRACTORS.How serious an issue is that to HAL staff/crew? That wasz my question notaddressed.

If HAL has them on the ship then I think they are absolutely responsible for how their contractors interact with guests.

If HAL has them on the ship then I think they are absolutely responsible for how their contractors interact with guests.

Absolutely! In fact, it's beginning to sound more and more like they shouldn't have sailed with so much unfinished. LaffnVegas reported broken pipes and water coming through ceilings.:eek:

But whatever, there is no excuse whatsoever for the contractors' behaviour and onboard staff should have dealt with it.

What do gthe decks with pricier cabins have to do with this issue?

(Sail I think you missed a couple of posts)

I think you are quoting me. I am sure if a person from say the Pinnacle/penthouse suite or another pricier cabin had complained to the front office about the way the OP was treated there would have been "hell" to pay. The ship's officers would have been all over it and there wouldn't ever been any need for a letter to be written to headquarters.