Food allergies and celiac disease on Carnival Breeze

Just booked my family's first cruise on Carnival Breeze. My son is allergic to eggs and all nuts. My husband has celiac disease....no gluten at all. Our travel agent already notified the ship. I'm looking for advice from other allergy or dietary restricted families. Any specific restaurants that were "safer" than others? Any places to avoid? Any tips? This part of the trip has me extremely nervous. Thanks in advance.

My husband alao has Celiac and we were on the Breeze in January. This was our first cruise since his diagnosis. We went to the dining room the first day and met with a hostess who had him choose his meal for that might. Each night he preordered for the next day and could even preorder for sea day brunch.

At Guys burgers he just told them he had an allergy and they would get a hamburger from the back to cook it. They also had gluten free buns and pasta on the ship. The bins/bread was not very good, which is usually a problem anyway, and we both thought the pizza crust was not good. The bread and crust were potato based.

He did eat omelets at the buffet but asked for real eggs. He is lucky that he doesn't get sick when he eats so it is always hard for him to tell is he got some contamination but we did talk to someone and she said her daughter felt less sick when she ate at the buffet than the dining room so who knows. He has his labs drawn soon after the trip and his numbers were where they should be so he did okay. The only thing we will do different next cruise is take some snacks for our room as there really wasn't much for him to eat late evening as he didn't like the pizza. The warm chocolate melting cake was awesome gluten free!

Just booked my family's first cruise on Carnival Breeze. My son is allergic to eggs and all nuts. My husband has celiac disease....no gluten at all. Our travel agent already notified the ship. I'm looking for advice from other allergy or dietary restricted families. Any specific restaurants that were "safer" than others? Any places to avoid? Any tips? This part of the trip has me extremely nervous. Thanks in advance.

Don't trust that the TA notified anybody. Trust yourself only.

Google the Special Needs Dept for Carnival and get in contact with them directly.

Here is a link that provides information for people traveling on Carnival that have special dietary requirements.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

They can accommodate special requirements in the Main Dining Room (MDR) only. You will need to contact specialneeds@carnival.com ahead of time.

DD is allergic to peanuts and treenuts. Yearly we travel with a group that combined is allergic or sensitive to peanuts, treenuts, liquid dairy, egg whites, chocolate and MSG.

Upon boarding see the maitre d at the MDR. Usually around 1-3. At that time they will take your first night's order. Every night after that the hostess or your waiter will take the next day's MDR meal orders- breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner. Order what you want, even if you cannot decide between to things. At dinner your waiter will have your order. At breakfast, lunch, brunch let the hostess know you gave an order. She will give your order slip to your waitstaff. At ATD a slip will be generated and given to your waitstaff.

We've only had a few MDR 'issues'. DD's food came out quicker than ours and Carnival treats seeds as nuts. They wouldn't serve DD the really good seeded roll, only regular rolls.

The buffet is a minefield. If in doubt talk with the Head Lido Chef, the Hostess or one of the managers. The line cooks mean well but aren't always well informed. Cross-contamination is always a concern. Extremely few things on the hot line have nuts. The desserts can be problematic.

How old is your child? The kid's clubs are set up for allergies. There is a form to fill out.

Some nights they serve food for dinner in the buffet and in the club itself. DD does not remember any nuts in any of the food.

Do a thread search for 'gluten' , 'celiac', etc.

Edited by SadieN

Onshore we have allergy cards. I made them up on business cards but you can order them from selectwisely.com

Bring some safe to eat pre packaged snacks for shore and onboard.

Edited by SadieN

We went on the Inspiration in 2010 with my son who has a life threatening milk allergy. The dining room did a great job handling his milk allergy. We are going on the Valor in three weeks and I was wondering if there was a way to find out if the buns at Guy's burgers were dairy free as well as the meat. I realize that they only handle special requests in the dining room, but we've lived our whole lives reading ingredients on packages and it gives some variety.