Panama, Cuban, Mayan

Looking at Mayan Treasures, Cuban Fusion and Pride of Panama itineraries for Jan/Feb 2017.

Does anyone have experience of these?

I note that some ports (Colombia, Belize) have possibly high crime risk. Whilst I appreciate that all cities are associated with some crime, I want to go on holiday to relax and not be constantly looking over my shoulder.

Any comments?

We went to Belize on Jan 15 and it was a tender port for us, so my husband couldn't get off the ship, so I went on my own. I wasn't really worried - to be honest I hadn't even thought it might not be safe. There were a lot of folks touting when I got off the tender, but I walked to a flea market, turned and walked back to a swing bridge, and over to where there was a cathedral and an open area of green park that was a little worse for wear. It was in an area called bird island. I saw pelicans, and other birds as I walked back along the sea front. As I got back into the town area, I saw a great big sign "no working during drinking hours". Near there I found a bar, and went in for a drink as we try to have a local beer at each port, and even being on my own, I had to try one. I tried a couple of light beers, then found they had a stout in the fridge, so bought a couple to take back on board so Ray could have a drink too. It was 6.5% and one of the best beers we had in the Caribbean where most beers are lager style. I walked back to the port safely enough and caught the tender back to the Dream.

We did Cartagena Colombia, and there is a lovely area just beside the port with a cafe bar where we saw flamingoes, peacocks, iguanas, black swans and humming birds while sat in a garden enjoying a beer. Ray went back on board, and I had a wander through the buildings to go outside the port area. Taxi drivers were a bit of a pest but I walked to a bridge where I saw folk swimming below but I couldn't find a way down, so went back after a motorbike stopped and said I shouldn't be walking alone as the area was not very safe. When I got back in the port area, I found I was actually in an area behind the first garden and was in a massive aviary where you could go into the cages with toucans, vultures and other birds. Also had some monkeys around.

Yes they may be dodgy areas, but I really enjoyed my time there.