More Ships For Baltimore PLEASE!!

patrickc

I worked for Celebrity while they were in Baltimore. I don't think you will see many ships return to Baltimore on a regular basis unless they build a dedicated cruise port terminal. The warehouse they used just didnt work. When all the bigwigs from RCCL and Celebrity were there that is basically what they told us. They said that Philly and Norfolk both built cruise terminals so that is where they would sail from. We used to try to get passengers to write the Gov. and tell them if they build it they would sail. The cruises always sold out but Baltimore never saw the possibility for income to the city that the cruise ships would bring.

We moved to Fl now so we were closer to the ports so I wish you luck with Baltimore. It is a great place to sail from. Cindy

What the above poster said is true...Baltimore just did not want to build or even upgrade the terminal(if you could call it that).It was a great opportunity for Baltimore,but someone up there saw fit to say no and the cruiselines went elsewhere.Passenger's weren't to pleased either with the terminal.There was alot of talk about all of this a year ot two ago when the cruislines said they were leaving,but nothing was ever done. If I were you I would contact someone in the city gov't that hjas to do with the port and ask if anything ever will be done to lure the business back...that would be a start,and maybe you would get some concrete answer's as to what and why nothing was ever done.Just a thought!!!

The departure Port in Baltimore was no worse than that in Miami. Miami's Port is nothing more than a huge warehouse that took twice as long to pass passengers through than that in Baltimore. In fact . . . in Baltimore, I was on board in half the time it took in Miami after the many different lines one had to go through in Miami. Who cares what the Port looks like? One just wants to get on their ship as soon as possible after checking in. Miami's Port was the pits . . . there wasn't even a drinking fountain in sight. I stood out in the hot sun for hours just waiting to get inside the building that looked no different than the one in Baltimore. If the cruise ships are waiting for Baltimore to build a Port like the one in Miami . . . they already have it!

We went out in Baltimore this past May. It took us 10 minutes in line and about 4 minutes to get onto the ship after that. I could care less what the warehouse looks like. Just make it quick. We live only 15 minutes away fro the Dundalk Marine Terminal so it was easy to be dropped off and picked up. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Next trip is this May out of Seattle. Have never flown cross country so that out to be interesting and tiring.

I think Miami has done a lot of improvements - or at least some cruise lines. I was very impressed with the RCI terminal compared to Carnival's from 2001. Norfolk has not finished it's port yet and right now it can be a mess. Norfolk's port is due to be finished in 2006. I have checked and there are NO sailings from Norfolk during the summer when school is out. That may be when they are doing alot of constuction so they couldn't have ships in.

Archived