Escape: Haven Spa Suite vs Haven Penthouse Courtyard?

Is the spa suites DIRECTLY below the courtyard? Is there stairs right there that takes you right to the haven courtyard anyways? I'm thinking maybe I should switch!

Haven Spa suites are directly below the Haven suites (port side). The courtyard is in the middle of the deck directly above the fitness room/gym.

You say you get access to the "spa" - but "spa" means a lot of different things. I've never really taken advantage of a cruise spa - what exactly is there that you get access to? And since it's "included" - what is the price to add it if not included?

Very nice review HERE

Haven Spa suites are directly below the Haven suites (port side). The courtyard is in the middle of the deck directly above the fitness room/gym.

Very nice review HERE

I did some reading after my post, watched a few videos, and decided to switch to the spa suites. Quick call to NCL and all done. Got a $400 credit back to my card AND access to the spa, which I believe is another $400 (for 2). Looking at deck plans, it appears a simple stair case and 1 deck up to haven, and less kids/noise in spa area also. For us I think the spa "seems" to be a no brainer. The videos look pretty awesome and we would certainly use it.

How funny, I actually switched to the same room as Jim Zim! His best cruise ever, I think I made a good choice, lol.

I did some reading after my post, watched a few videos, and decided to switch to the spa suites. Quick call to NCL and all done. Got a $400 credit back to my card AND access to the spa, which I believe is another $400 (for 2). Looking at deck plans, it appears a simple stair case and 1 deck up to haven, and less kids/noise in spa area also. For us I think the spa "seems" to be a no brainer. The videos look pretty awesome and we would certainly use it.

How funny, I actually switched to the same room as Jim Zim! His best cruise ever, I think I made a good choice, lol.

What is your sail date? Are you booked with a travel agent? Sometimes I don't like dealing with TA's because they make it so hard to make changes and take advantage of new promotions.

What is your sail date? Are you booked with a travel agent? Sometimes I don't like dealing with TA's because they make it so hard to make changes and take advantage of new promotions.

2/24

I never use a travel agent. The couple extra OBC perks or whatever doesn't offset having to deal with a travel agent. It was a very quick, pleasant call to NCL at 1PM on a Sunday and my booking was changed and $400 credited back to my card... that simple.

For my upcoming Royal cruise, I made a quick call to Royal to take advantage of a promotion on my already booked cruise, I'd say it was even faster than the NCL call! Within a few short minutes I had $750 put back on my card. I much prefer to deal with the cruise lines directly.

You won't regret it! The spa is definitely a no brainer, and a really nice retreat away from the kids. We can't wait for next summer's cruise on the Getaway. No Haven this go around, but we did get a Spa Balcony cabin, so we are looking forward to the relaxation to come!

You won't regret it! The spa is definitely a no brainer' date=' and a really nice retreat away from the kids. We can't wait for next summer's cruise on the Getaway. No Haven this go around, but we did get a Spa Balcony cabin, so we are looking forward to the relaxation to come![/quote']

Our first cruise without the kids. I'm quite excited. After reading Jim's review, I'm so glad I found this thread and made the decision to switch.

Our first cruise without the kids. I'm quite excited. After reading Jim's review, I'm so glad I found this thread and made the decision to switch.

You are going to have an amazing time! Last summer's Escape cruise was our first cruise in 11 years, and the first trip in a while without our kids. We splurged and took an upgrade to the Haven two weeks out, and it was the best decision we ever made (funny enough, Jim's video was what sold me on it too - NCL should give him a commission for his video :D). We still talk about that cruise, and how wonderful it was. If I could swing Haven again I would, but we would prefer to take several cruises through the year vs. one big one right now. Have a great trip!

I'm very partial to Oasis class and considered crown loft. But the Haven seems to offer a much better "ship within a ship" experience that nothing else comes close to. Adding the spa just amplified that even more! I have Harmony coming up before Escape and I'm maybe more excited for Escape!

Escape is probably my favorite ship right now. If she wasn't going to NY next summer, we'd probably be going on her again. We chose Getaway over Harmony as we felt it was a better value overall (dining venues and dining package, the Waterfront, the spa amenities, balcony vs. ocean view cabin, drink package, entertainment and the itinerary). Overall, NCL offers a pretty compelling package these days, I just wish they offered more variety on the Breakaway-class ships' ports of call. The same Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries need an update IMHO.

This will be our first time EVER not having dinner in the MDR. I'm a big fan of the MDR concept.... Same waiter, know your table, walk right in, etc. And not that interested in specialty restaurants. But this is a very different cruise for us, first time just the two of us as well. All the dining venues will be a very different experience for us. Harmony will be amazing, too. Just can't go wrong with either one.

I am disappointed but no Haven for me. The only reason I was considering it as a possibility were the current promotions with the cruise line & the TA (starts with price). I would have gotten 900 OBC that helped offset some of the cost difference. But I called the TA and they said I would need to cancel and rebook and I'd lose 24.99 + 100 cancellation fee + 200 already paid for insurance. I made the mistake of paying the insurance and now that is not refundable.

So I have a balcony. I will probably prepay for the SPA and maybe try to get the vibe. The SPA sounded so nice and it definitely would have been a splurge for me and hubby.

If I ever use a TA again it will be one that doesn't charge me cancellation fee's.

The Haven restaurant is excellent (and if you enjoy dining outside, they have a nice covered section that looks over the pool and starboard side of the ship). NCL's dining venues are very good, and I strongly recommend trying Food Republic (it is a la carte, but well worth it). Teppanyaki was another favorite, though I would make reservations 90 days out for the speciality restaurants (the Haven Concierge can make any changes or add reservations you may want once onboard and that includes shows). I love the Freestyle dining concept, and enjoy having the options available.

I am disappointed but no Haven for me. The only reason I was considering it as a possibility were the current promotions with the cruise line & the TA (starts with price). I would have gotten 900 OBC that helped offset some of the cost difference. But I called the TA and they said I would need to cancel and rebook and I'd lose 24.99 + 100 cancellation fee + 200 already paid for insurance. I made the mistake of paying the insurance and now that is not refundable.

So I have a balcony. I will probably prepay for the SPA and maybe try to get the vibe. The SPA sounded so nice and it definitely would have been a splurge for me and hubby.

If I ever use a TA again it will be one that doesn't charge me cancellation fee's.

You can definitely add the spa access separately, and can book it ahead of time through the website (keep an eye out as they can sell out). Vibe is another good option, though not a guarantee due to the requirement to purchase it on embarkation day after boarding. You might also want to check out the spa balcony category, as it includes the spa access but you don't have to pay for the Haven as well. Either way, you will love the Escape and have an amazing trip!

But the Haven seems to offer a much better "ship within a ship" experience that nothing else comes close to.

MSC's Yacht Club comes very close to (some would say "surpasses") NCL's Haven for less $.

I'll have to wait until 2018 to give my opinion of YC vs Haven.

Escape is probably my favorite ship right now. If she wasn't going to NY next summer' date=' we'd probably be going on her again.[/quote']

Escape is also my current favorite. When I first booked MSC Seaside in 2016, my plan was to do Escape/Seaside as a b2b but NCL released Escape's move to NY later.

I'm not willing to pay what NCL is asking for Getaway for the b2b. If I wasn't so cautious about MSC, I might have done Seaside as a b2b but after reading some mixed Divina reviews, I hesitated.

I'll be back on Escape or Bliss after I check out MSC Seaside and Meraviglia (when it comes to Miami). Those 4 ships will probably keep me busy until NCL's Leonardo and MSC's World Class debut....but Symphony OTS wants me...:D

MSC's Yacht Club comes very close to (some would say "surpasses") NCL's Haven for less $.

I'll have to wait until 2018 to give my opinion of YC vs Haven.

Can't wait to read the comparison. At some point I'd like to experience the Haven experience. I was close to pulling the trigger this time but the TA made it too difficult. So I will stay with my deal on my normal balcony. Hopefully my first cruise on NCL will be great like my other cruise.

Escape is also my current favorite. When I first booked MSC Seaside in 2016, my plan was to do Escape/Seaside as a b2b but NCL released Escape's move to NY later.

I'm not willing to pay what NCL is asking for Getaway for the b2b. If I wasn't so cautious about MSC, I might have done Seaside as a b2b but after reading some mixed Divina reviews, I hesitated.

I'll be back on Escape or Bliss after I check out MSC Seaside and Meraviglia (when it comes to Miami). Those 4 ships will probably keep me busy until NCL's Leonardo and MSC's World Class debut....but Symphony OTS wants me...:D

It sounds like you have a lot of wonderful cruises in your future. You live in the right state for cruises. Are you close to a port? Are you retired? When we are retired, we will be more flexible and available for last minute deals too.

I had us booked on Seaside next June in an interior Yacht Club Suite, but later cancelled it after a number of issues with MSC customer service (long story). I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on Seaside and the Yacht Club, and then maybe I'll reconsider MSC down the road. For now, we are going to try Getaway, and really looking forward to Bliss in November 2018! Enjoy your cruise and please post a review when you get back. Looks like an amazing ship! Would love to try an Oasis-class in the future as well.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Forums mobile app

Are you close to a port?

Every port is "close", IMO.:D

We can get to all 5 ports just by getting up early and driving to the port on the morning of the cruise. The wife would rather get a hotel but I hate waiting for a shuttle/taxi.

As for time, we both work and have 2 young kids in school. Planning far in advance makes a big difference. I already have the 2018/2019 school calendar and as soon as spring/summer cruises are released, I can book.

I had us booked on Seaside next June in an interior Yacht Club Suite' date=' but later cancelled it after a number of issues with MSC customer service (long story). [/quote']

I've read MANY stories related to MSC and "issues". The Seaside Grand Suite issue was/is/will be a big one but it doesn't have an impact on me....unless MSC tries to give my stateroom to an angry guest.:evilsmile:

Luckily, I've had no problems...but I check my booking almost daily. I have the exact stateroom that I want on the side (port) that I want. With only 2 suites like mine on the entire ship, I'm not going to risk anything.

Why can't they just change your room? That seems crazy...if the room is more expensive wouldn't they want a better commission? Or am I misunderstanding?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked haven spa suite before on the Getaway and loved it! Just booked the same category room for the Escape can't wait! Cheapest haven room and well worth it in my opinion, away from kids and noise and not far from the haven courtyard.

Can't wait to read the comparison. At some point I'd like to experience the Haven experience. I was close to pulling the trigger this time but the TA made it too difficult. So I will stay with my deal on my normal balcony. Hopefully my first cruise on NCL will be great like my other cruise.

Don't know when your cruise is but did you consider the new bidding process? Or isn't your TA signed up for that either?

Don't know when your cruise is but did you consider the new bidding process? Or isn't your TA signed up for that either?

I think my TA does participate in the bidding process and I will probably bid for an upgrade but doubtful that any of the SPA Havens will be available but any Haven would be wonderful.