Cabin Selection

jlz62

My SO and I will be cruising on the Zaandam in September. We have made our reservations and paid our deposit.

When do we select our Cabin? Since we didn't do it at the time we made our reservation, do we wait until our final payment which is at the end of June? Is there a way to do so online or do we need to call in?

We selected an Ocean-view Stateroom.

Sorry if this is else where on the board, I have been stepping through the comments and haven't stumbled upon this answer yet.

It sounds as though your booking is for a guaranteed ocean view cabin rather than a specific location. You have two alternatives at this point. One is to contact the booking agent and while studying the deck plans choose a specific cabin in the category you have reserved. The other is to sit with the guarantee until HAL assigns you a cabin. Often, but not always, HAL will upgrade your cabin if a better, more expensive one, is available at time of sailing. It's a gamble, but one my hubby and I have taken. Twice we've ended up with ocean view when we paid for inside. Either way, enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know what level of Ocean View (e.g. CA, C, D, DA, ... H, HH) you have guaranteed? We might be able to give advice on what specific cabin you might want to choose or to avoid in that level.

We reserved via Holland America.

The Category is H.

Ship: Zaandam

Journey: D5c

From Vancouver to Seward

Thanks so much for any advice. This is the first time I have cruised in over 10 years and that was with a group.

I know so much more and feel I know so much less.

:)

On the Zaandam, all H cabins are on the Lower Promenade. Some people do not like this deck because you will have people waking by your window at all hours, and you must keep your drapes drawn at night. (The windows are half-silvered, so visibility into the room during the day is not a problem.) We don't mind these drawbacks, and have chosen cabins on this deck four times. We like the quick access to the outside.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=za_2&deck=lp&deep=0

The H cabins that are far forward(3302-3318) are below the main show lounge and could be noisy some nights. The H cabins in the center (3367-3388) are below the galley and could be noisy all night. I suggest you call HAL and try to get one under the MDR (which are not noisy): 3403,3406,3415,3418,3427,or 3428. If you can't get one of those, I'd choose 3317 or 3318 rather than chance one under the galley.

If you stick with just a GTY you may be upgraded to a cabin on the Main or Dolphin decks. The problem with that plan is that the G cabins there have only portholes (instead of 3 ft by 4 ft windows) and some of them are quite small because of the way that the ship curves in far forward.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=za_2&deck=d&deep=0

If you can't get any of the H that I listed above, I suggest you dig into your pocket a little deeper and go for a Dolphin deck F, EE, or E near the forward elevators.

Edited by jtl513

On reviewing my documents, we selected (because it was a lower cost) to allow HAL to select our cabin. It will at least be H level and may be any level above if available.

We will re-evaluate when making the final payment.

Thanks for all the advice.