Steakhouse or Chef's Table for Anniversary Dinner?

peajay84

DH and I will be on the Valor for our first cruise to celebrate our 20th Anniversary in December 2016. I'd like to have a nice "special" dinner on the night of our anniversary and and trying to decide between the $$ for the Steakhouse or $$$ for the Chef's Table. Which would be a better choice and why?

TIA!

Edited by peajay84

I would choose the Steakhouse. It's a 'special meal' you're looking for whereas the Chef's Table is a whole experience.

Personally, I want to do the latter, but for an anniversary, would prefer the former.

DH and I will be on the Valor for our first cruise to celebrate our 20th Anniversary in December 2016. I'd like to have a nice "special" dinner on the night of our anniversary and and trying to decide between the $$ for the Steakhouse or $$$ for the Chef's Table. Which would be a better choice and why?

TIA!

Chefs table. One of the few things Carnival does right.

I have reservations for our 30th anniversary dinner at the Steakhouse in July because, frankly, I hadn't heard of chef's table when I booked the cruise and made the reservation. (this will be our first real cruise)

But I probably have plenty of time to change it if I see anything that makes it worth doing. I doubt I will change though as chef's table appears to be a bunch of people as opposed to dinner for just us two (and the surrounding tables lol) in the steakhouse.

I still would love to do chef's table but not for our actual anniversary dinner. I'll keep that slightly more intimate. I may even wait until the next cruise to do chef's table.

Early Happy anniversary to y'all! I imagine it will be pretty cool no matter which way you go.

TIA!

We did the steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. A more intimate setting.

We LOVE the Chef's Table and have done it 3 times. We will be adding a 4th on our November Vista Cruise.

That being said....I would choose the Steak House over the Chef's Table for an Anniversary dinner if you are looking for a romantic dinner/conversation for 2.

The Chef's Table is a table of 12 - 16 people and the chef comes out during each course to explain the choice and how it was prepared. It is AMAZING but not very intimate.

While I can't speak for the Valor, we did do the Chef's Table for our Annivesary last year on the Breeze (was actually the same night).

This year we were planning to have it in the Steakhouse on the Magic. But after eating in the Magic Steakhouse and Cucina, we opted to transfer our SH reservations to cucina.

The Magic and the Breeze steakhouses are not that intimate, too many tables, to close to other tables, to loud of a venue. Cucina was spread out more.

Also the atmoshere in the SH was tense and kind of uptight by the staff while cucina was more laid back and the staff seemed to enjoy their jobs.

That said, I hope to book the CT on next years Magic cruise for our Anniversary.

We have been to the steakhouse on two different ships and we have never found it to be romantic.

The tables are very close together. The first time we went, we had a table for two in the middle of the room - meaning wait person traffic back and forth on both sides of our table. All night long.

The second time, there was a large family dining together near us. They were very loud and boisterous, telling off-color jokes. They had to retrieve their children from the kids club mid-dinner and the kids were the best behaved at the entire table. Towards the end of their meal, one of the guys went to the bathroom and thought it would be funny to come out with toilet paper hanging out of the back of his pants. These people pretty much took over that side of the steakhouse, and the wait staff did nothing to curtail it.

We decided on that occasion that there would be no more steakhouse for us.

More fun to be with 12 people drinking all you can drink wine.

Oh, so that was you everyone at our table was desperately trying to ignore as we enjoyed our meals with the complimentary wine pairing while you chugged down your serving, waved your glass at the serving attendant and burped "Fill 'er up, Honey and don't let me see the bottom of the glass again.".

Fun for you. Not so much for the rest of us.

We have been to the steakhouse on two different ships and we have never found it to be romantic.

The tables are very close together.

This is our feeling too.

The Legend and Pride SH's were better laid out. Never done Valor or any Conquest ship. But the Breeze and Magic are not intimate.

Oh, so that was you everyone at our table was desperately trying to ignore as we enjoyed our meals with the complimentary wine pairing while you chugged down your serving, waved your glass at the serving attendant and burped "Fill 'er up, Honey and don't let me see the bottom of the glass again.".

Fun for you. Not so much for the rest of us.

absolutely rude and on called for comment I think you owe someone an apology

TIA!

They are both great, but the steakhouse would be more romantic and intimate. I don't know how they do Chef's table on the Valor, but on some ships you eat in the actual galley, so it is brightly lit and sterile looking. Other ships have it in the night club or the library so it may be more of a romantic ambiance. Either way, the food at the Chef's table is amazing and it comes with unlimited wine, but it isn't as romantic since you have 10 or so other people sitting with you.

I would highly recommend the steak house. It was a wonderful meal, one of the best I have had on a cruise ship and definitely up to par with a nice land restaurant.

The crew knew it was our anniversary and we ended up with an extra dessert and a glass of champaign at the end as congratulation from the chef. It was a very memorable and wonderful meal!

The food at Chef's Table is an gastronomical experience unlike any other. Food at steakhouse is very good but something you can experience at a land based upscale steakhouse; whereas chefs table not so much. I would go with Chefs Table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They are both great' date=' but the steakhouse would be more romantic and intimate. I don't know how they do Chef's table on the Valor, but on some ships you eat in the actual galley, so it is brightly lit and sterile looking. Other ships have it in the night club or the library so it may be more of a romantic ambiance. Either way, the food at the Chef's table is amazing and it comes with unlimited wine, but it isn't as romantic since you have 10 or so other people sitting with you.[/quote']

Agreed!

The only thing I would add is that at the steakhouse you can dine alone. With the Chefs Table is much more a "group" experience.

For an anniversary - I'd go Steakhouse - but neither is s bad choice!

For an anniversary, I would definitely choose the steakhouse. The Chef's table is amazing but it will be the two of you and a bunch of other people.

You made the perfect choice - the food, the service, the ambience - you will have a amazing night!

Barb

I have done the steakhouse on each Carnival ship I've been on (9) and the Chef's Table on Miracle and Breeze. For a romantic anniversary dinner I would choose the steakhouse without hesitation. Request a table by the window and enjoy. The Chef's table is enjoyable but not intimate.

I have not had an issue with a steakhouse being overly crowded or noisy. The first night of the cruise is the least busy of any night.

Take care,

Mike

• 9 months later...

I suggest you do both. I would view the entire cruise as your anniversary celebration - and include both the intimate setting of the Steakhouse as well as the unique gourmet experience that is Chef's table in my planning if your budget allows.

Happy Anniversary!